Security firm fined after security guard killed by carbon monoxide fumes

A former Croydon security firm has been fined for safety failures after a security guard was killed by carbon monoxide fumes from a petrol generator as he watched over a disused nursing home in Gravesend.

Petrol generator produced deadly fumes, killing guard

A security company have been fined for safety failings as a security guard was killed by carbon monoxide fumes from a petrol generator, whilst watching over a disused nursing home in Gravesend.

Security guard Arthur Ebirim, from Peckham, was overcome by the fumes as he kept watch over-night at an empty nursing home in Taunton Vale in October 2011.

The employers, Anchor Services (GB) Limited was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive yesterday after an investigation found serious flaws with how the generator was used.

The generator belonged to one of the workers and was also placed inside the lobby to provide power.

Anchor Services was fined £20,000 and was ordered to pay a further £35,656 in costs.

The petrol generator produced deadly fumes which killed a security guard in Gravesend Credit: Health and Safety Executive