- 1 update
People across Hampshire are being warned against the use of acetylene cylinders after they caused a spate of fires.
Hampshire Fire Service attended a property fire on Sunday 13th April in Farnborough where the cylinders were involved.
The owner of the property suffered serious burns highlighting the effects acetylene cylinders can have when involved in a fire.
Group Manager Steve Trevethick, who was at the scene of the fire, said: Acetylene cylinders are more hazardous than other types of pressurised gas cylinders as they can continue to heat up when involved in a fire which can cause an explosion.
“Due to the nature of acetylene we are urging people and businesses to seriously consider if they need to use this piece of equipment or whether it could be replaced by another process.”