Live updates

  1. National

Woman badly hurt in acid attack

A 22-year-old woman who had acid thrown in her face is being treated in a specialist burns unit for "serious facial burns," police have said.

A 48-year-old woman has been arrested on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm in the attack, which happened in Sandown on the Isle of Wight in the early hours of yesterday.

A spokeswoman for Hampshire Constabulary said, "Police believe this is an isolated incident and are not looking for anyone else in relation to this attack."

A 24-year-old woman, arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender, has been bailed until next week pending further inquiries.

Victim has acid poured over hands and face in Crawley

Sussex Police have launched an investigation after a man from Crawley had acid poured over him.

The incident happened last night in Lyon Close, Maidenbower.

The victim was taken to the Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton where he was treated to acid burns to his hands and face.

Paramedics, the air ambulance and the police attended the incident.


Teenager treated in hospital after acid attack

Detectives are investigating after a 16-year-old boy who had acid thrown at him as he walked near a wooded area in Yateley. The teenager was walking near Manor Park Drive at about 9pm on Wednesday, January 9, when an unknown man appeared and threw the substance at him.

This was a terrifying attack which has left the victim with horrendous injuries. He is currently receiving specialist treatment in hospital and his family are at his bedside. This is not believed to have been a random attack. I would appeal to the local community to think hard about anything they might know or have heard about this incident and to contact my team with any information, no matter how insignificant it may seem.

– Acting Detective Chief Inspector Darren Barrett, Hampshire Police

The man is thought to have been wearing dark-coloured clothing.

The victim suffered serious injuries as a result of this incident, and is currently being treated at a specialist hospital in London.

A 46-year-old man from Yateley and a 33-year-old man from Farnborough were arrested in connection with this incident and have been released on bail pending further enquiries.