A violent mugger jailed for life for preying on pensioners has been arrested after spending a week on the run from an open prison.
Sabul Miah, 39, absconded from HMP Standford Hill on the Isle of Sheppey in Kent on October 23 but he was captured last night.
Kent Police said Miah - who was handed two life sentences in 2003 - was detained on the island on suspicion of failing to surrender to custody. Miah, originally from Poplar, east London, was jailed at Southwark Crown Court on August 7 2003 after admitting attacks on five victims.
He was originally charged with mugging 10 other pensioners, but the charges were not proceeded with and were left on the file.
One of his victims was decorated war hero George Rowe, whom Miah knifed in the chest and slashed his throat for his pension money. Another elderly victim, Sarah Munday, was stabbed in the hand by Miah after he tried to snatch her bag as she returned with her pension cash in Tower Hamlets.
The court heard that Miah had targeted the pensioners as an easy source of money to fund his crack and heroin drugs habit. Judge Geoffrey Rivlin said they were "heart-rending offences committed against some of the most vulnerable people in the community without the least sign of mercy".
HMP Standford Hill is the same Category D open jail from where Michael Wheatley absconded while on day release in May.
The prolific armed robber - dubbed the "Skull Cracker" for pistol-whipping bystanders during raids - went on to rob a building society in Surrey before being recaptured.
He was already serving 13 life sentences for a string of raids at the time of his disappearance, which triggered a nationwide manhunt.
Following his recapture, he was told he will serve at least 10 years behind bars before being eligible for parole. Wheatley's high-profile case sparked a political row over the day release of dangerous inmates amid criticism that arrangements were too lax.
Sittingbourne and Sheppey Conservative MP Gordon Henderson said he has asked the Ministry of Justice a series of questions about Miah's case.
He demanded to know why a man handed two life sentences was transferred to an open jail and why the public were not immediately told of his disappearance.
A convicted murderer who absconded from an open prison in Buckinghamshire has handed himself in.
Lewis Hoare beat a pensioner to death on Southsea seafront 7 years ago and was jailed for life. He escaped from Spring Hill Open Prison near Aylesbury on the Weekend.
The 27-year-old gave himself up to British Transport Police in London.
Another prisoner who absconded, Kenneth Simmonds, is still missing.
A convicted murderer who beat a pensioner to death on Southsea seafront 7 years ago has absconded from an open prison in Buckinghamshire.
27-year-old Lewis Hoare walked out of Spring Hill Open Prison near Aylesbury at about 1pm on Sunday. He was jailed for life in 2007.
It's believed Lewis Hoare is with another prisoner, Kenneth Simmonds, who has also absconded.
Senior investigating officer, Detective Inspector Joe Banfield said: "If any member of the public sees either Hoare or Simmonds do not approach them, instead call 999."
Two men have been sentenced to a total of 41 years in prison following the shooting of a man in Aylesbury earlier this year.
Following a three week trial at Reading Crown Court, Nicholas Talburt, 22, from Walsall, was found guilty of attempted murder and conspiracy to supply a class A drug (heroin).
He was sentenced at Reading Crown Court to 23 years in prison for attempted murder and six years in prison for the drugs offence, to be served concurrently.
Marcus McIntosh, 20, from West Bromwich, was also found guilty of attempted murder. He was sentenced to 18 years’ imprisonment.
On 16 March in Hilton Avenue, Aylesbury, a 44-year-old man was shot while standing in the street.
The victim, a man from Bletchley, had taken a taxi to Hilton Avenue to meet the two men, McIntosh and Talburt. During the conversation one of the men shot the victim three times in his legs before making off in a nearby car.
The victim got back into the taxi, which had been waiting for him, and asked to be taken to Stoke Mandeville Hospital. He called police en route. He was treated for his injuries and was discharged at a later date.
An Aylesbury man has been prosecuted for claiming thousands of pounds in benefits to which he was not entitled.
Thomas Wheatley, of Scott End, claimed more than £10,000 from the Department for Work and Pensions and Aylesbury Vale District Council but failed to declare he had savings in excess of the permitted limit.
Aylesbury Magistrates heard how Wheatley had received pension credit and council tax benefit since July 2011. A joint working investigation raised suspicions that the 65-year-old had more than £50,000 in his accounts.
When interviewed about his benefit claims, Wheatley admitted that he had deliberately failed to tell the DWP and AVDC about his savings.
He dishonestly claimed £8,730 in pension credit and £1,709 in council tax benefit over a two year period.
Wheatley was sentenced to a community order for 12 months and ordered to carry out 180 hours unpaid work. He was also made to pay costs of £85 and will have to repay the full amount owed to the DWP and AVDC.
“Benefit cheats give a bad name to legitimate claimants who are entitled to receive benefits. This latest prosecution again signals our determination to catch people who are defrauding council tax payers in the district.”
Prime Minister David Cameron has made a surprise visit to a charity shop in Buckinghamshire, after their annual fundraising event was ruined by the weather.
And while he was at the Cancer Research UK shop in Aylesbury he made a £20 donation and posed for a photo.
Shop manager, Lynda Inglis, has been the driving force behind the Cancer Research UK "Wear it Pink” day held annually on the town’s High Street as part of October’s breast cancer awareness month activities.
But last Saturday, and for the first time, it was spoiled by the heavy rain.
Her team of 20 staff and volunteers, who were all in pink fancy dress, were desperate to cheer Lynda up as she had worked so hard to rally everyone together to put this year’s event on.
Then Town Centre Manger, Diana Fawcett, who has worked closely with Lynda to support the event over the years, heard that Prime Minister David Cameron and his family were in Aylesbury shopping, something they regularly do on their way to Chequers.
I was told Mr Cameron was in M&S so went in there to find him. Thinking of Lynda gave me the confidence to go up to him to ask for his help. I explained to the Prime Minister that there was a big Cancer Research UK event going on in the town today and that the rain was really affecting its success. I asked if he could possibly pop into their charity shop to show his support and give them a big boost. Without hesitation he readily agreed and said he would make a visit before he left.
I rushed down to the shop to tell Lynda someone ‘very important’ might be on their way. And true to his word, Mr Cameron kindly came through the door just a few minutes later. It was great to see the look on Lynda’s face!
Thames Valley Police has charged a man in connection with child sex offences.
Mohammed Imran, aged 37, of Springcliffe Street in Bradford, has been charged with two counts of conspiring to rape a girl under 16 years of age, three counts of raping a girl aged under 16 and one count of arranging / facilitating the prostitution / involvement in pornography of a child aged 13 - 17 years.
The charges relate to offences in the Aylesbury area between 2007 and 2009.
Imran has been remanded in custody to appear before Milton Keynes Magistrates’ Court today.
Ten men have now been arrested after a series of warrants were executed in Aylesbury and other Buckinghamshire towns this morning relating to child sexual exploitation.
Around 120 officers executed warrants at 11 properties from 7am. Seven warrants were carried out in Aylesbury, one in Milton Keynes, one in Buckingham, one in Chesham and one in Hayes, Middlesex.
A number of other addresses in Aylesbury were visited.
Thames Valley Police has today carried out a series of warrants in Aylesbury and other Buckinghamshire towns relating to child sexual exploitation.
Around 120 officers executed warrants at 10 properties at 7am. Six warrants were carried out in Aylesbury, one in Milton Keynes, one in Buckingham, one in Chesham and one in Middlesex.
A number of warrants are still being carried out.
Eight men, aged between 28 and 45 have been arrested on suspicion of sexual offences and are currently in police custody.
Those arrested are:
- 32-year-old man
- 45-year-old man
- 32-year-old man
- 35-year-old man
- 40-year-old man
- 35-year-old man
- 28-year-old man
- 40-year-old man
The offences relate to two female victims in the Aylesbury area between 2005 and 2012.
“The police action taken today comes as a result of information given to the police earlier this year. We have been working closely with other agencies to investigate these matters, and to provide support and care for the victims. The aim of this operation is to protect victims, bring offenders to justice, and to offer help to any others who we are encouraging to come forward. We will continue to work alongside our partner agencies to offer any support victims need as we carry on with the investigation. I understand today’s events will have an impact on the community and people will be concerned about the nature of these arrests. As you can understand, we are in the early stages of this investigation so may not be able to provide all the information straight away, but we will work hard to make sure the community is kept updated when we can. Our neighbourhood policing teams are carrying out patrols in the area and will be doing their best to answer any questions, so please do not hesitate to approach them. If anyone has any concerns at all about offences relating to child sex exploitation, if they are a victim or know someone who may be, I urge them to contact Thames Valley Police on the 24-hour non-emergency number 101.”