Live updates

Police negotiate with 72-year old man reported to be armed with a gun in Sussex house

The stand- off at Pagham, near Bognor Regis, West Sussex started at around 4pm this afternoon. Local people have told ITV Meridian that they have been advised to stay in their homes until they have resolved the situation, It's believed the man, aged 72, in the property is on his own. Early reports from eye-witnesses to the ITV Meridian newsroom suggested a woman had also been in the house and was released - this has not been officially confirmed yet.

Pagham in West Sussex where armed police have surrounded a house Credit: Eddie Mitchell
Ambulance crews on-standby at Pagham close to where a house has been surrounded Credit: Eddie Mitchell
Police arrived at Pagham shortly after 4pm this afternoon Credit: Eddie Mitchell
Sussex Police have been briefing local people about keeping safe at Pagham Credit: Eddie Mitchell


Driver injured in M27 crash dies in hospital

A driver who was seriously injured in a crash on the M27 last week has died in hospital.

Police have confirmed that Ionut Balabaneanu who's 35 and from Bognor Regis, died at Southampton General Hospital on Wednesday.

He was the driver of a Nissan Micra which was in collision with a white Mercedes Sprinter van at junction 3 of the M27 in the early hours of April 12th.

Investigations into the circumstance of the crash are ongoing.

New road brings relief for commuters in Bognor

The Bognor Relief Road has finally been completed after 5 years of construction and more than 30 years of planning.

Although it cost £28m, the costs were covered by a construction firm.

The 3km road links the A29 at Shripney and the A259 at Flansham, cutting out long delays caused by traffic at Felpham, West Sussex.

The council says it could save drivers up to an hour each day.

Watch Sam Holder's report below:

Sam spoke with Roger Elsmere of Woods Travel Ltd and Louise Goldsmith, Leader of West Sussex County Council.

Bognor Regis relief road to open

The £30m road will open to commuters this afternoon Credit: ITV Meridian

The new £30m Bognor Regis relief road is due to open this afternoon.

It's claimed, the new road, will save commuters up to an hour a day. It includes a 3 kilometre viaduct - the biggest in West Sussex - spanning a railway line, the river, cycle paths and public footpaths.


Appeal for witnesses to fatal crash

Police are appealing for witnesses to a two vehicle collision in Worms Lane, Middleton-on-Sea, Bognor Regis, in which a 75-year-old woman died and two men were seriously injured.

It happened just after 4.30pm on Sunday and involved a red Nissan Qashqai and a white Volkswagen LT35 van.

The driver of the Nissan died and her 80-year-old passenger suffered a fractured pelvis and was taken to the Royal Sussex County Hospital, Brighton. Both come from Bognor Regis.

The driver of the VW, a 54-year-old man from Tangmere, near Chichester, suffered leg and throat injuries and was taken to St George's Hospital, Tooting, London.

Anyone who saw what happened or noticed either vehicle shortly before the collision is asked to email or phone 101, quoting Operation Calcutta.

£10,000 awarded to Bognor's historic pier

New investment in Bognor's Pier Credit: ITV news

Bognor's historic pier has won ten thousand pounds to help breathe new life into the seafront. The Pier Trust wants to restore the grade 2 listed structure and redevelop it as a iconic community asset.

The money from the Heritage Lottery Fund will be used to conduct studies and surveys, and apply for further grants towards the project.

The award will assist the Trust in submitting a Heritage Enterprise application later this year. The Trust hope to have a new visitor centre open on the pier by 4th May as part of the 150th anniversary of the building of the pier. The visitor centre will allow the community to find out more about the work of the Trust and the bid that will be submitted.

The Pier is one of 58 piers left around the British Isles, and has been home to the world famous international Bognor Birdman Event that had been running since 1978. The event moved to Worthing in 2008 due to further loss of the Pier structure.

Commenting on the award, Paul Wells Chairman of the Bognor Pier Trust said: "We are delighted to have received the support of the Heritage Lottery Fund, the funding will support the next exciting steps that are required to enable us to submit our Heritage Enterprise bid later this year. The aims of the Trust's restoration plans for this Grade II listed Pier will add to the overall regeneration of Bognor Regis seafront."

Load more updates