Live updates

Appeal following hit and run in Bournemouth

Detectives are appealing for witnesses following a hit and run in Bournemouth.

Emergency services were called to Tyrrell Gardens in the Townsend area yesterday afternoon after reports that a man had been hit by a car which failed to stop.

Police were later called to a car fire in Howard Road in the city where the car believed to have been involved in the collision was destroyed in the blaze.

The victim of the hit and run, a 20-year-old man from Bournemouth, was taken to hospital for treatment to a serious head injury. His condition is described as stable and not life-threatening.

A 24-year-old man from Poole has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder.

“I am appealing to anyone who witnessed either incident in Tyrrell Gardens and Howard Road to please call me urgently.

“I am particularly keen to hear from anyone who witnessed the manner of driving of the Daewoo before and after the incident.

“All calls will be treated in the strictest of confidence.”

– Detective Inspector Joan Carmichael, of Bournemouth CID

CCTV appeal after woman assaulted in Bournemouth

CCTV image Credit: Dorset police

Detectives investigating an assault on a woman in Bournemouth have released CCTV footage of a man they would like to speak to.

At around 8.05am on Friday 13 November 2015, a woman was walking up steps leading to West Overcliff Drive in Alum Chine when she was assaulted. The offender repeatedly punched the victim before running away from the scene. The victim – a 33-year-old woman from Poole – suffered cuts and bruises and needed hospital treatment.

The offender is described as white, aged in his 20s, six feet tall with a slim face and short brown hair.

CCTV image Credit: Dorset Police

Detective Constable Sara Watts, of Bournemouth CID, said: “As part of my investigation, I am now in a position to release CCTV footage and images of a man I would like to speak with as I believe he may be able to assist me with my investigation. The pictures show a man walking past the Libertine Pub in Westbourne at around 7.45am on Friday 13 November and the same man in the Westbourne area on the same day. I would urge this man, or anyone who recognises him, to please call me on 101. I would like to reassure members of the public that incidents such as this are rare in Dorset and we take it very seriously.”

Police want to hear from any witnesses who saw a man acting suspiciously in the Alum Chine area and a woman who was jogging through the Chine just before the attack took place. Neighbourhood Policing Teams have been carrying out increased patrols in the area to provide reassurance to the public.


Ex-soldiers charged with rape of Corporal Anne-Marie Ellement

Two former soldiers have been charged with the rape of Corporal Anne-Marie Ellement from Bournemouth, who was found dead at Bulford Barracks in Wiltshire in 2011.

Corporal Anne-Marie Ellement died four years ago

Corporal Ellement was in the military police. She had hanged herself three days after her 30th birthday, and two years after an initial investigation into rape allegations.

The Crown Prosecution Service has now overturned a previous decision and ruled there is sufficient evidence to bring a case of rape against Thomas Fulton and Jeremy Jones, who were both corporals. They will now face a court martial hearing.

Man jailed for deliberately driving at two people enjoying a night out in Dorset

Dean James Cambage Credit: Dorset police

A man who drove at a group of people enjoying a night out in Bournemouth town centre has been jailed for 13 years. Dean James Cambage, 33, was sentenced today at Bournemouth Crown Court after pleading guilty to dangerous driving, attempted grievous bodily harm with intent and one count of grievous bodily harm. He was told he would have to serve a minimum of eight years before being considered for parole.

The court heard how Cambage, of Bournemouth, was drinking in The Winchester nightclub on Poole Hill in the early hours of Sunday 24 August 2014 when he got into a dispute with staff over a glass of wine that his friend wanted to exchange for a beer. Cambage left the club, got into a grey BMW and deliberately drove at two people who were standing outside.

One male member of staff sustained cuts to his face which required stitches and a broken left wrist. A woman, who was walking past the club at the time, was left badly bruised following the attack.

The car Cambage was driving was found abandoned at 4.55am the same day on East Overcliff. The court heard the vehicle had been stolen from an address in Sunbury on Thames in Surrey.

After the incident, Cambage fled the area and his disappearance sparked a major manhunt involving arrest enquiries in Dorset and London and appeals in the media and on BBC Crimewatch. The court heard that Cambage was arrested in London on Thursday 26 February 2015.

Detective Constable Will Burnett, of Bournemouth CID, said: “This was a terrifying incident which was sparked by a dispute over a drink. Dean Cambage’s actions that night were extremely reckless and dangerous. The fact that Cambage’s victims were not more seriously injured is nothing less than miraculous. Bournemouth welcomes thousands of people each weekend who visit the town to enjoy its vibrant club and bar scene. Incidents like these will not be tolerated. We will relentlessly track down and bring to justice those who seek to disrupt Bournemouth’s nightlife


Driver who mowed down a group outside a pub is jailed for 13 years

Dean James Cambage, 33, has been jailed for 13 years. Credit: Dorset Police

A driver who deliberatley mowed down a group of people outside a pub in Bournemouth has been jailed for 13 years.

Dean Cambage was drinking in The Winchester on Poole Hill in August last year when he got into an argument with staff over a glass of wine. When he left the club the 33-year-old got into his BMW and drove at a group of people standing outside injuring two of them.

Lib Dem conference gets underway in Bournemouth

The Liberal Democrats are holding their annual conference in Bournemouth.

The party suffered a crunching defeat in this year's general election.

This afternoon they'll vote on whether to scrap Britain's nuclear weapons. The party's new leader, Tim Farron, will make his big speech on Wednesday.

Drivers concerned about impact of parking charge hike

Car parking at one of the south's busiest seaside resorts will double, it was announced today.

Bournemouth Council is blaming "severe financial challenges" for the proposed rise in the town, but drivers say they're being held to ransom and there's concern the fees will put tourists off.

Watch Martin Dowse's report:

Parking fees to rise sharply in parts of Bournemouth

A rise in car parking charges is planned in Bournemouth, with some places more than doubling in price.

The council says it will continue to offer some of the best value town centre car parking available. Credit: PA

Bournemouth council says “severe financial challenges” facing all local authorities have left them with no choice but raise charges.

These are some of the proposed changes:

  • At Bath Road and Beacon Road car parks it would cost £12 for a stay of up to six hours – up from £6.60.
  • Parking on East Overcliff Drive would rise from £2.60 to £6 for up to 6 hours.
  • At Bourne Avenue, Braidley Road, Hinton Road and Madeira Road, two hours would rise from £1.30 to £3.
  • A 12-month town centre parking permit at Winter Gardens or Keystone House would rise by £100 to £750.
  • Longer stays at town centre car parks like Cotlands Road and Lansdowne Road are frozen at £3.50 for four hours and £4 for up to 24 hours.

For over four years, the council haven’t put their charges up, so the chamber are not jumping up and down against this.

We’ve got to be realistic that the council are going through a huge amount of cuts. Because they’ve supported us in the town for so long, through the recession and, not lifted anything, I think it’s acceptable and understandable.

– Mandy Payne, past president of Bournemouth Chamber of Trade and Commerce
Load more updates