Live updates

Boxer Nick Blackwell is awake, Team Eubank are 'relieved & delighted'

Nick Blackwell has woken up and is talking Credit: Hennessy Sports, Nick Blackwell's promoters

The team behind the Brighton boxer Chris Eubank Junior have issued a statement reacting to the news that Nick Blackwell has awoken from the induced coma he was put into after suffering internal bleeding following their Middleweight championship bout at Wembley last month.

Blackwell's promoters, Hennessy Sports revealed that the Wiltshire-based boxer was awake earlier today.

Team Eubank at press conference following the fight Credit: ITV Meridian

Team Eubank held a press conference the day after the fight. Today they issued the following statement:

"We (Team Eubank) are relieved and delighted that Nick Blackwell is awake and talking. We have been thinking about him, and his recovery, every day and wishing him well. When he is feeling up to it and with the agreement of his family, Chris Snr and Jnr would like to visit Nick in hospital."

– Team Eubank's statement today

Boxer Blackwell awake, Eubank Jr sends best wishes

Boxer Nick Blackwell is awake and has spoken to his family Credit: Nick Potts

The promoters of the Middleweight boxer Nick Blackwell has confirmed that he has awoken from the induced coma he was put into, after suffering internal bleeding following his fight with the Brighton-based boxer Chris Eubank Junior.

It was revealed today that 25-year-old Blackwell, who was found to have a bleed on the skull after the bout, awoke on Saturday. He was able to speak to his family and friends on Sunday. His team said that he had not required an operation, and awoke after staff at St Mary's hospital in London gradually reduced the sedatives he was being given.

Today Blackwell's opponent, Chris Eubank Junior from Sussex, has sent best wishes to him via social media:

Nick Blackwell's promoters issued this statement on behalf of his family:

"It was the outcome everyone had been hoping and praying for; Nick has won his toughest fight yet.

"On behalf of Nick, his family, and very close friends, we'd like to thank everyone for their continued support and well-wishes. It has been overwhelming at times and has certainly not gone unnoticed.

"Nick Blackwell won the hearts of over three million (television) viewers on March 26 (in a 10th-round stoppage defeat by Eubank Jnr) with an astonishing display of all-action bravery and determination.

"In the past week, however, he has humbled millions more. He's a fighter. He's a warrior. He's a true champion and gentleman."

– Hennessy Sports, Nick Blackwell's promoters

Advertisement

  1. Tom Savvides

Boxing trainer 'relieved' to become a woman

A former boxing promoter from Kent, who was one of the biggest names in the sport, has spoken about the decision to live as a woman.

Frank Maloney, known as Kellie, says she knew from a young age that she wanted to be a female.

Kellie has told ITV News that coming out was like a 'complete release'.

This report by Tom Savvides includes interviews with Kellie Maloney, boxing trainer Charlie Rumble and Sarah Savage from Trans Pride Brighton.

MP Laura boxes clever with Olympic hopefuls

MP Laura Sandys with the young boxers Credit: Laura Sandys

Kent MP Laura Sandys met aspiring Olympians at one of their training sessions at the Hornets Boxing Academy in Newington, Ramsgate.

After the visit, Laura said: “It was great to visit this relatively new boxing club that has real ambition to develop Olympic champions. The Academy is providing aspiring professional boxers with a place to train as well as coaching.

"They held their first large tournament in Ramsgate a fortnight ago and are hoping to host lots more in the future. It is an exciting project in Newington and I very much hope that in a few years, we may have a boxer from Thanet competing -and winning- an Olympic gold medal."

Ricky Hatton is stopped by a body shot

Ricky Hatton (right) in action with Vyacheslav Senchenko during the Welterweight bout at the Manchester Arena, Manchester. Credit: Dave Thompson/PA Wire/Press Association Images

Ricky Hatton's bid to relaunch his boxing has been dramatically ended in Manchester.

Despite a solid start to the bout, he took a heavy body shot from Vyacheslav Senchenko that finished the fight.

Advertisement