Live updates

'I made it up' teenage boy was not stabbed by man

A teenage boy who told police a man stabbed him in the stomach is to be 'dealt with' for wasting police time. The 14-year-old told Sussex Police he had been attacked while walking in Bloomsbury Place in Brighton on 14th March, but has since admitted that he made it all up. Officers say he will be dealt with for not telling the truth.

"The 14-year-old was in possession of a knife and stabbed himself accidentally while play fighting with his friend. Originally he claimed a man had approached him and stabbed him in the stomach.

"We were appealing for witnesses to the attack and the incident caused some concern in the community at the time.

"The boy will now be dealt with for wasting police time."

– Detective Sergeant Chris Lane, Sussex Police

'Secrets of the reef' revealed in Brighton

A new exhibition revealing 'the secrets of the reef' has opened to visitors at the Sea Life Centre in Brighton this weekend. It highlights the centre's coral conservation work in the Maldives, where huge swathes of coral has been lost due to global temperature changes. The display also features a new seahorse breeding programme. Charlotte Wilkins has been speaking to Carey Duckhouse, the exhibition's curator.

Advertisement

Chocolate Easter Feast!

Chocolate roast with all the trimmings

Many of us will be sitting down for an Easter roast on Sunday - but it won't be anything like this one from Brighton.

Local chocolatier Jen Lindsey-Clarke has created an entire meal - table and all - out of chocolate.

The chocolate sculptor, commissioned by the supermarket Aldi, weighs a staggering fifty kilos!

Jen Lindsey-Clarke grafting hard
Chocoholics look away now...
...or not
  1. Tom Savvides

Firefighters in pole position for world record

Sussex firefighters have been attempting a world record pole drop today.

They've been sliding down a pole which has been specially built at Brighton's main shopping centre. Money raised will go towards two charities. But did they break the world record? Here's Tom Savvides with the outcome, talking to Hove firefighters Kieran Wood and David Ball.

The firefighters say the event is also a sentimental one, as it is one of the last times the team will be together.

Online parking fine appeals system offered for first time

When we get a parking ticket how many of us scratch our heads wondering if we've got the time, energy or patience to question it?

This week Brighton and Hove has become the first city in the country to introduce a new online system for contesting fines - and it's soon to be rolled out across our region.

Andy Dickenson reports. He speaks to Cllr Gill Mitchell of Brighton and Hove City Council, and Steve Percy of the People's Parking Protest.

Advertisement

Man stabbed in Brighton

Police are investigating after a man was stabbed in Brighton.

Officers were called at around 1.15am on Saturday to Regency Square after two men were seen fighting.

The victim, a 26-year-old man from Brighton, suffered multiple stab wounds and was taken to hospital where he remains in a serious but stable condition.

"This was a violent but isolated attack in the city centre and we would like to hear from anyone who was in the area and who saw what happened. "Witnesses can email or call 101 quoting Operation Sienna."

– Detective Inspector Ian Still

Upstairs, downstairs - the secret world of the Royal Pavilion revealed

Brighton's Royal Pavilion is one of our region's most famous landmarks, attracting thousands of visitors each year. But now, for the first time, there's a chance to explore a secret tunnel running beneath it.

The tunnel was built so that George IV, who'd grown very fat and unpopular, could visit his riding stables without his subjects seeing him.

Malcolm Shaw spoke to David Beevers, the Keeper of the Pavilion, and tour guides Meg Hogg and Geoff Greenwood.

Man rescued from fire at 17-storey block of flats

More than 60 firefighters were called to deal with the fire in Brighton Credit: Eddie Mitchell

A man has been rescued by firefighters after a fire broke out on the thirteenth floor of a 17-storey building in Brighton.

More than 60 firefighters and ten fire engines were called to Essex Place on Montague Street at 5.15pm yesterday. The whole building was evacuated - and the fire was brought under control by 8pm.

The authorities say everyone has been accounted for - and there are no reports of any injuries. Although the building was under guard by police officers over night for safety reasons.

Fire investigation officers from East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service are been back at the scene today to determine what caused the blaze.

Ten fire engines and specialist breathing apparatus were deployed to the scene
The fire started on the thirteenth floor
Load more updates