A man has been photographed catching a free ride home by clinging to the back of a bus in Bournemouth.
The passenger was spotted holding on to the back of the yellow bus as it made its way through the busy city centre on Monday.
A spokesperson for the Yellow Buses company said the behaviour of the man is "astonishingly stupid, not to mention illegal."
The company is urging anyone who sees such anti-social behaviour to call and alert the police.
Bus passengers in Medway have had to make their own way to school, work or the shops today, as more than two hundred Arriva drivers went on strike in a row over timetable changes. The company worked out the new timetable this summer, but forgot that it was the school holidays. When pupils returned to school, the traffic increased drastically and drivers couldn't keep up. Arriva bosses have apologised. But as Andrea Thomas reports, the unions are accusing them of sheer incompetence. She spoke to Dave Weeks from Unite the union and Simon Baxter from Arriva.
Bus drivers in Medway are on strike over new timetables. Andrea Thomas reports via Periscope.
Arriva bus drivers in Medway have gone on strike today in a dispute over timetables.
Last month around 210 Arriva drivers were balloted on whether to take industrial action. Their union, Unite, says the timetables are “unachievable and unsafe”.
The strike runs from 0500 today until 0500 on Saturday. There will be another strike from 0500 Monday to 0500 on Tuesday.
Kent Police has released a CCTV image of a man they would like to speak following an assault on a bus in Canterbury.
Officers are investigating the assault on a 16-year-old boy who was on the bus with a friend on Sunday 15 February.
As the vehicle travelled along St Dunstans Street at 2.15pm, a man sitting in front of the teenager punched him in the face. The offender then got up and began shouting before getting off the bus.
A CCTV image of the man police would like to speak to has now become available and officers are appealing for people with information about his identity to come forward.
He is described as white, aged in his 50s, approximately 5ft 10ins tall, medium build, with grey hair. He was wearing a green and brown blazer with dark-coloured trousers.
Anyone with information about the assault, which left the boy with bruising to his face, is asked to call PC Jodie Bryan at Kent Police on 01843 222289 quoting reference ZY/004773/15.
Changes to some Reading Buses services are open to consultation until April 28. The company is requesting feedback of views on the planned changes which will affect services north of the Thames.
These changes will also have implications for residents in Burghfield, Mortimer and along the Bath Road in Reading. They will come into effect on July 7.
The company has said that the changes are largely positive and all changes are either to help reliability or reflect the number of people travelling on each route.
Caversham area routes have held steady now for some while, but it’s now time to make a few adjustments to keep up with developments. These proposals will help us to align service levels with demand, particularly on Sundays. Meanwhile, the splitting of the long cross-town route from Peppard Common to Mortimer has become inevitable to avoid congestion around Reading Bridge affecting the southern end of the route.”
A nine-year old girl who died after being hit by a bus in Swindon has been described as a "popular" and "vibrant" student by her school.Read the full story ›
Rodbourne Cheney Primary School, where 8-year-old Caitlin Hunt attended, have released this statement with regards to her death:
It was with great regret and sadness that we heard of the tragic death of one of our pupils, Caitlin Hunt, last night.
Caitlin, a year 4 pupil, was a vibrant and passionate learner at Rodbourne Cheney Primary School and her lack of presence in the future will be noticeable.
She was a popular girl, loved by teachers, the pupils but especially by her classmates.
It is hard to imagine the terrible sense of loss and tragedy, which is being felt by Caitlin’s family at this time and our deepest sympathies are with them.
The loss will also be felt within the school by pupils, staff and parents and we are grateful for the pastoral support being offered by the local clergy, specialist bereavement councillors and The Samaritans.
All members of our community will be offered access to the support today and in the days to come”
Police have revealed the child who died after being hit by a bus in Swindon yesterday was Caitlin Hunt.
The eight year old was pupil at nearby Rodbourne Cheney Primary School.