French authorities will begin dismantling the camp at the beginning of next week.Read the full story ›
Convoys of lorries and tractors blockaded the motorway leading to Calais today - the start of a tough new campaign by hauliers and farmers demanding the closure of the massive migrant camp known as The Jungle. John Ryall reports.
Lorry drivers and farmers in Calais have staged a demonstration as part of a protest against the "Jungle" migrant camp. British cross-Channel travellers have been warned they face disruption during a campaign to have the northern section of the camp demolished.
A 5mph rolling roadblock has been set up by hauliers and farmers on the A16 motorway, the main route to Calais Port and the Channel Tunnel.
A blockade of lorries and tractors held up traffic on the roads around Calais with a "go slow" protest against the "Jungle" migrant camp.
A convoy of trucks and tractors set off from Dunkirk to the north, while another made its way from Boulogne to the south at 7.30am local time on the A16, which runs along the edge of the town.
They are set to converge near the entrance to the Channel Tunnel and ferry terminals.
No traffic was being allowed to pass the blockade and police were stationed at the junctions, apparently to stop vehicles joining the motorway.
Hundreds of protesters also marched on foot along the road leading directly to the port.
Protesters have been gathering in Calais this morning ahead of a planned demonstration against the "Jungle" migrant camp.
British cross-Channel travellers have been warned they face major disruption as French shopkeepers, police, unionists and farmers join hauliers in calling for the northern section of the camp to be demolished.
A trade association has warned drivers will stand their ground until they see action to dismantle the camp.
ITV News Correspondent Dan Rivers is in Calais:
A few hundred about to march on the motorway to link up with convoys of truckers and tractors enforcing a 'go slow' https://t.co/mMdRZ6LKBa
The Mayor of Calais says the migrant crisis at the city's port is the responsibility of the French government. Natacha Bouchart has visited Ashford, promoting cross-channel tourism and trade. Her trip comes ahead of another blockade at the port of Calais on Monday, this time by local residents demonstrating about the migrant camp. Tom Savvides talks to Mrs Bouchart and to councillorr Mark Dance.
An Oxfordshire driver is warning holidaymakers at Calais to be extra careful after his car was seriously damaged when migrants threw a concrete boulder through its window. Rhys Williams says if his grandchildren had been in the vehicle, they could have been seriously injured or killed. The 53-- year-old says migrants are taking more desperate risks as they attempt to reach England. Penny Silvester reports.
The French authorities in Calais have defended their decision to prevent an aid convoy of about 200 vehicles leaving Dover on its way to enter France.
The Pas-de-Calais authorities said they had issued the ban for various reasons including the potential for the convoy to "generate violent episodes"; and a lack of available police officers because of the current European football championships.
They also said the numbers of vehicles involved could "facilitate the intrusion of migrants".
"In these circumstances, the Prefect of Pas-de-Calais considered only the prohibition of any event is likely to effectively prevent public disorders that may occur.
"Moreover, any convoy on roads and highways, from Great Britain to Calais to slow or block the flow and constituting a public event, is prohibited."
The Kent Police force has responded to complaints about an aid convoy being prevented from leaving the Port of Dover on its way to Calais in France.
The convoy of more than 200 vehicles included teams from groups such as the Stop the War Coalition and the People's Assembly. They were carrying provisions and supplies for people living at the so-called 'jungle' refugee camp near Calais.
Kent Police assisted the Port of Dover Police and French authorities after a convoy containing approximately 200 vehicles were denied entry to France on Saturday 18 June.
The decision to refuse entry was made by the French authorities and no agency within the United Kingdom has any grounds to challenge this decision. The refusal of entry to France is a matter for the French authorities.
Upon being refused entry to France, a demonstration took place at the Port. This started at approximately 1.50pm, which resulted in a brief closure of the border controls.
Kent Police worked with partner agencies to ensure disruption was kept to a minimum and within approximately one hour the port resumed business as usual.