Live updates

Canterbury Monopoly has unwanted property

Rogue Rochester Castle appeared on the Canterbury Monopoly Credit: PA

A new Canterbury version of the popular board game Monopoly erroneously features Rochester Castle. Somehow the site found its way on to the board - despite obviously being in Rochester, not Canterbury.

Earlier this year members of the public voted on which landmarks would appear as properties on the board. Canterbury Cathedral was chosen as the top spot - replacing Mayfair on the original UK version of the board.

  1. Tom Savvides

Does flu research hold clues about deadly Ebola?

Could the flu virus help medical experts in their fight against the deadly disease Ebola? There is currently no cure or vaccine for Ebola but an expert at the University of Kent says similarities between the two viruses could lead to new treatments. Ebola has already killed more than a thousand people in West Africa and the number of cases is rising. Tom Savvides has the details.

Advertisement

Sleeping man robbed at train station

A young man was robbed while he was sleeping at a train station in Kent.

The 23-year-old victim had his wallet and phone stolen at Canterbury West train station in the early hours of Saturday 5th July.

Officers are appealing for information after a man’s wallet and phone were stolen Credit: British Transport Police

The stolen items include a black iPhone 4, which has a crack on the reverse, and a brown leather wallet, containing bank cards, ID cards and a small amount of cash.

“The 23-year-old victim, from Ashford, Kent, was waiting on a bench on a London-bound platform shortly before 5am.

“He fell asleep and then a man sat next to him and removed the items, worth a combined £500, from his pockets before leaving the station.

We are issuing two stills of a man who we believe has information which can help us with our enquiries into this incident."

– Detective Sergeant Leigh Marshall
The theft happened in the early hours of Saturday, 5th July Credit: British Transport Police

Security guard assaulted after chasing shoplifter

Officers are appealing for information after a supermarket worker was assaulted as he tried to stop a suspected shoplifter in Canterbury.

It happened on 30th June at around 10:15pm after three people ran away from Sainsbury's in Kingsmead Road.

One of the security staff chased a suspect and found him hiding in bushes.

As he tried to detain him, the suspect ran off along the River Stour.

The security guard eventually caught him but the man struck him in the stomach, leaving him with a 10cm cut.

He then ran off in the direction of Stonebridge Road.

Kent Police Constable Jim Roberts, from the Canterbury Local District Policing Team, said:

The main offender is described as being a man around 6ft tall, with short brown hair and a scar above his eye. He was wearing a black zip-up jacket, a black T-shirt with a skull and crossbones motif on the front, black jogging bottoms and black trainers.

The other two people were a second man, 6ft tall and of stocky build, wearing a black top with the hood up and navy blue jeans; and a woman wearing a grey cardigan, grey T-shirt, navy blue jeans and brown sandals. She was carrying a shopping bag.’

– Constable Jim Roberts

Police investigate report of sexual assault in Canterbury

Kent Police is appealing for the public’s help in establishing the circumstances around a reported sexual assault in Canterbury city centre.

At 11:25pm on 28 June, a woman in her 50s reported that she had been attacked in a car park.

After speaking with the victim, officers made enquiries at a number of locations.

It was reported that the assault happened sometime after 10:35pm.

The victim has described her attacker as a white man, around 5ft 7ins tall, aged around 30. He was clean shaven with short or balding hair and was wearing grey trousers and a white shirt.

Kent Police takes all reports of sexual assault or abuse very seriously and we have a duty to investigate. We have officers specially-trained to deal with sensitive and difficult investigations such as this. The victim reported she was in town with a member of her family and they had become separated. The victim went looking for them but encountered an unknown male who she said sexually assaulted her in a car park. Our enquiries are now centring on a car park in the Hawk’s Lane area. CCTV from the area is being reviewed and enquiries are on-going to trace the offender."

– DCI Emma Banks, head of Kent Police’s Reactive Crime team

Advertisement

Thousands join campaign to save Canterbury hospice

A campaign to stop a Canterbury hospice from closing has attracted more than 13 thousand supporters - causing trustees to reconsider. A trustee of Pilgrims Hospice said she was "extremely concerned" about the level of opposition.

The public meetings organised by Pilgrims Hospice due to be held on 9th June and 19th June in Margate and Ashford have been postponed so that the Trustees can review their plans, due to the reaction of the Charity's supporters at their first public meeting held last month.

Firstly we would like to thank our supporting community for attending our first public meeting in Canterbury. We are becoming painfully aware of how our incredibly loyal supporters feel about the Future Hospice Programme and we want them all to know that we are re-visiting the proposed programme this coming Thursday evening with a view to finding solutions to the problems that we are currently facing."

– Chairman of the Charity's Board of Trustees, Dr Richard Morey
  1. John Ryall

Millions of pounds for Canterbury Cathedral

Canterbury Cathedral has won the Lottery. It's beaten off the competition and landed a 12 million grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund. The cash wil be used to restore the building's crumbling fabric and to create a new visitors centre.

But the payout is conditional on the cathedral raising seven million pounds over the next two years. John Ryall reports, speaking to Rev Nick Papadopulous, Angela Dean from the Heritage Lottery Fund, and Schools Officer Zoe Willis.

Gang of women attack 35-year-old woman in pub

Police are appealing for witnesses after the assault in a pub in Canterbury Credit: PA

Witnesses are being called for after a gang of women attacked a 35-year-old woman at a pub in Canterbury.

The assault happened at the Three Tuns pub in Watling Street during the early hours of Sunday 4 May.

The victim was left with bumps and bruises to her head.

Police are particularly urging a woman who was wearing a red shirt that evening come forward as police they believe she could be a vital witness.

Anyone with information should call PC Chris Poulter on 101 quoting reference ZY/14298/14.

Alternatively, if you have information but would prefer to remain anonymous please call Kent Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Load more updates