Live updates

Police investigate report of sexual assault in Canterbury

Kent Police is appealing for the public’s help in establishing the circumstances around a reported sexual assault in Canterbury city centre.

At 11:25pm on 28 June, a woman in her 50s reported that she had been attacked in a car park.

After speaking with the victim, officers made enquiries at a number of locations.

It was reported that the assault happened sometime after 10:35pm.

The victim has described her attacker as a white man, around 5ft 7ins tall, aged around 30. He was clean shaven with short or balding hair and was wearing grey trousers and a white shirt.

Kent Police takes all reports of sexual assault or abuse very seriously and we have a duty to investigate. We have officers specially-trained to deal with sensitive and difficult investigations such as this. The victim reported she was in town with a member of her family and they had become separated. The victim went looking for them but encountered an unknown male who she said sexually assaulted her in a car park. Our enquiries are now centring on a car park in the Hawk’s Lane area. CCTV from the area is being reviewed and enquiries are on-going to trace the offender."

– DCI Emma Banks, head of Kent Police’s Reactive Crime team

Advertisement

Thousands join campaign to save Canterbury hospice

A campaign to stop a Canterbury hospice from closing has attracted more than 13 thousand supporters - causing trustees to reconsider. A trustee of Pilgrims Hospice said she was "extremely concerned" about the level of opposition.

The public meetings organised by Pilgrims Hospice due to be held on 9th June and 19th June in Margate and Ashford have been postponed so that the Trustees can review their plans, due to the reaction of the Charity's supporters at their first public meeting held last month.

Firstly we would like to thank our supporting community for attending our first public meeting in Canterbury. We are becoming painfully aware of how our incredibly loyal supporters feel about the Future Hospice Programme and we want them all to know that we are re-visiting the proposed programme this coming Thursday evening with a view to finding solutions to the problems that we are currently facing."

– Chairman of the Charity's Board of Trustees, Dr Richard Morey
  1. John Ryall

Millions of pounds for Canterbury Cathedral

Canterbury Cathedral has won the Lottery. It's beaten off the competition and landed a 12 million grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund. The cash wil be used to restore the building's crumbling fabric and to create a new visitors centre.

But the payout is conditional on the cathedral raising seven million pounds over the next two years. John Ryall reports, speaking to Rev Nick Papadopulous, Angela Dean from the Heritage Lottery Fund, and Schools Officer Zoe Willis.

Gang of women attack 35-year-old woman in pub

Police are appealing for witnesses after the assault in a pub in Canterbury Credit: PA

Witnesses are being called for after a gang of women attacked a 35-year-old woman at a pub in Canterbury.

The assault happened at the Three Tuns pub in Watling Street during the early hours of Sunday 4 May.

The victim was left with bumps and bruises to her head.

Police are particularly urging a woman who was wearing a red shirt that evening come forward as police they believe she could be a vital witness.

Anyone with information should call PC Chris Poulter on 101 quoting reference ZY/14298/14.

Alternatively, if you have information but would prefer to remain anonymous please call Kent Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Advertisement

  1. Sarah Saunders @SSaundersITV

Celebrating 20 years of female priesthood

Today a special ceremony was held at Canterbury Cathedral to celebrate 20 years since the ordination of the first female priests.

Women who were ordained as part of the fundamental change to the Church in 1994 attended, as well as more recently ordained priests.

The Church of England is now under pressure to appoint woman Bishops. In her report Sarah Saunders spoke to The Rev Sarah Chapman and The Rev Eileen Routh.

Kent hospice to stop inpatient care

A hospice in Kent will stop providing inpatient care in Canterbury within the next two years.

Pilgrims Hospice plans to look after terminally ill patients in their own homes, hospitals and care homes. It'll keep inpatient beds in Ashford and Thanet.

We have to make Pilgrims Hospice more responsive, equitable and accessible, and to focus on our core responsibility of providing expert palliative and end of life care. By spring 2016 we aim to provide more of our care in the community and at bedsides in hospitals and care homes.”

– Chief Executive, Steve Auty

The new strategy will allow Pilgrims to redeploy staff into the heart of the communities in east Kent. This will mean Pilgrims will no longer provide inpatient beds in the Canterbury hospice building but will keep inpatient beds at its other hospices in Ashford and Thanet.

Canterbury will remain an important centre as Pilgrims increases its investment in the delivery of education and development of its own staff and volunteers as well as for health and social care professionals across east Kent.

These are exciting changes for Pilgrims Hospice. They will allow us to deliver more care in people’s homes, where many want it, while still retaining expert inpatient hospice beds. We hope we can make these changes without compulsory redundancies, offering people new opportunities with Pilgrims. Together we will work to make Pilgrims Hospice fit for the future.”

– Chairman of Trustees, Dr Richard Morey

Man banned from going to football matches for 3 years

Michael Andrew O'Shea has been banned from attending football matches for three years Credit: Kent Police

A Canterbury man has been banned from attending football matches for three years following an incident in Gillingham.

Michael Andrew O'Shea was caught shouting abusive language and threats to opposing fans.

He was warned by officers about his language, but he continued to incite violence.

The 51-year-old was then arrested and later charged with using threatening, abusive, insulting words or behaviour with intent to cause fear of or provoke unlawful violence.

He has now been banned from attending any regulated football matches.

Magistrates also fined him £350 plus £85 costs and £35 victim surcharge.

PC Geoff Greensmith, Kent Police Football Liaison Officer said, "This outcome sends a strong message to anyone found committing football-related offences at or near a stadium- you will be arrested and put before the courts.

"O'Shea is now banned from travelling to and attending football matches at home and abroad for three years."

  1. David Johns (@davidjohns_itv)

Do not pass GO; Do not collect £200!

Now what do you think links a top hat, a car, a dog and an iron? It's the board game, Monopoly - those are the classic pieces. It's normally based around London of course but now the makers have announced a version for Canterbury.

It beat off all the other towns in Kent in a public vote - and now there's ANOTHER vote to choose which locations in the city will make it onto the board.

David Johns reports, speaking to game developer Dan Taylor and Nick Papadopulos from Canterbury Cathedral.

Nominations for locations should be sent to canterbury@winningmoves.co.uk or by post to: Canterbury Monopoly, Winning Moves UK, 7 Praed Street, London W2 1NJ

Load more updates