Live updates

Man dies after inhaling carbon monoxide fumes

A man has died after deadly carbon monoxide fumes knocked him unconscious at his home in Berkshire. A woman, believed to be his wife, remains in hospital tonight.

The couple, in their sixties, were found in a house in the village of Whistley Green, near Twyford, by two people, said to be their daughter and granddaughter.

They, too, struggled after breathing in the poisonous fumes.

While it's not known if the family had a Carbon Monoxide alarm - this evening, there are more calls for people to be aware of the invisible gas labelled the silent killer.

That's because you can't see, smell or taste it, and it's hard to detect. Divya Kohli has our report.

Man dies from carbon monoxide poisoning

Police have confirmed a man taken to hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning, has died.

The man, who was in his sixties was take to hospital along with his wife, a woman and their grandchild after a carbon monoxide leak at their home in Berkshire.

Emergency services were called to Broadwater Lane in Whistley Green yesterday morning Credit: ITV Meridian

Emergency services were called to the property in Broadwater Lane, Whistley Green, yesterday morning.

The man's wife who is also aged in her sixties remains in hospital in a stable condition.

A second woman and their grandchild who were also taken to hospital as a precaution have been discharged.

British Gas and the Health and Safety Executive will be attending the property to carry out an assessment.

Advertisement

Neighbour describes scene at carbon monoxide house

Four people are in hospital in Berkshire tonight - one is described as critically ill - after they were overcome by carbon monoxide fumes.

Emergency services were called to a cottage in Broadwater Lane in Whistley Green, near Twyford, just after 8 o'clock this morning - where a couple in their sixties were found lying unconscious.

It's thought their daughter and grandchild discovered them - and dialled 999 - before being overcome themselves.

Our reporter Mel Bloor sent this, from the scene.

Grandfather fighting for life after carbon monoxide poisoning

The home where the couple were overcome by fumes Credit: ITV News Meridian

A grandfather is fighting for his life in hospital after he and his wife were found unconscious at their home of 40 years.

The couple, both aged in their 60s, were overcome by deadly carbon monoxide fumes. Their daughter and nine-year-old grand-daughter found the pair at 8am after rushing to the cottage because they'd been unable to contact the pair.

Paramedics said the couple were "unconscious and unresponsive" in their Lodge Road home in Whistley Green, near Hurst, Berkshire.

All four were taken to hospital, where the elderly man is in a critical and life-threatening condition in intensive care. His wife's condition is said to be "stable".

Man in a "life threatening condition" after carbon monoxide poisoning

A man is critically ill after a cottage home was affected by carbon monoxide gas.

The man, in his 60s, and his wife were both found unconscious at the Whistley Green home, near Hurst, Berkshire. They were taken to hospital, with two others, believed to be their daughter and grand-daughter.

Police say the woman and child had let themselves into the cottage after realising something was wrong.

All four were taken to hospital.

BREAKING: Four taken to hospital with carbon monoxide poisoning

Four people have been taken to hospital after a luxury home was affected by deadly carbon monoxide gas.

One man is reported to be critically ill. The victims are believed to be a couple in their 60s - found by a girl and her mother, who were also overcome by fumes.

It happened in Whistley Green, near Wokingham, in Berkshire, this morning. Paramedics say the man was "unconscious and unresponsive."

Advertisement

Elderly couple found dead after carbon monoxide poisoning

It's believed the storms have claimed yet more lives after an elderly couple were found dead at their home in Sussex.

It's thought Kenneth Swallow and his wife Dorothy from Hurstpierpoint may have succumbed to carbon monoxide fumes from a generator left running during a power cut.

Shortly after midday on Boxing Day relatives found an elderly couple dead in their home in Malthouse Lane, Hurstpierpoint.

There are no suspicious circumstances and it is thought the man and woman may have succumbed to fumes from a generator left running overnight following a power cut.

An investigation into their deaths continues. The couple who died have now been formally identified as Kenneth Swallow, 70, and his wife, Dorothy, 71.

The post mortem examinations have been carried out. An inquest into their deaths was due to be opened on Friday, 3 January and adjourned to a date to be fixed.

– Sussex Police

Deadly fumes claim the lives of elderly couple as they slept

It's believed the storms have claimed yet more lives after an elderly couple were found dead at their home in Sussex.

It's thought Kenneth Swallow and his wife Dorothy from Hurstpierpoint may have succumbed to carbon monoxide fumes from a generator left running during a power cut. Charlotte Wilkins reports.