Live updates

Leisure centre evacuated after chemical leak

Six people have been taken to hospital because of a chemical leak at a leisure centre in Kent.

It happened at the Stour Centre in Ashford. Up to 25 firefighters are at the scene and ambulance crews are also on site. The centre has been evacuated and a cordon put in place. The incident is being treated as accidental.

Interview with Russ Jordan of Kent Fire & Rescue Service.

Six taken to hospital after Kent chemical leak

The leisure centre was evacuated Credit: ITV

Ambulance crews have attended a chemical leak in Kent. The crews were joined by the Hazardous Area Response Team.

Six people, described as 'walking wounded', have been taken to the William Harvey Hospital after 'breathing in the chemicals'.

Firefighters were called to the chemical leak in the plant room at a leisure centre in Tannery Lane, Ashford. Four fire appliances and specialist vehicles attended.

Advertisement

'Oxygen therapy' for three people after Kent chemical leak

Firefighters are currently dealing with a chemical leak in the plant room at a leisure centre in Tannery Lane, Ashford. Four fire appliances and specialist vehicles are attending. The building has been evacuated as a precaution and crews have removed the affected container from the premises while they ventilate the building. Crews provided oxygen therapy to three casualties and SECAmb is also in attendance. The incident is being treated as accidental.

Warning after chemical incident

During the chemical incident in Oxford the firefighters were decontaminated and subsequent crews were sent in wearing in breathing apparatus to contain and remove the mixture before it was disposed of safely.

Oxfordshire fire and rescue service said the incident serves as a timely reminder that all packaging on household products should be read before they are used.

It added that no mixing of chemicals, particularly bleaches and “un-blockers”, should ever take place as potentially toxic and corrosive mixtures can be created.

Man burned in chemical incident

A man received burns during a chemical incident in Oxford.

Fire crews were called to Ivy Flats accommodation block in Oxford yesterday afternoon.

When they arrived they were told that a maintenance worker had received burns and had experienced breathing problems.

This had happened after he had poured a mixture of chemicals down the sink, in the aim of unblocking it.

However he was unaware that the previous evening that another resident had also poured chemicals down the sink and the mixture was now dangerous.

Four firefighters in breathing apparatus and gas tight suits entered the flat and were able to identify the three household substances that had been put into the sink.

By combining these three regular products a small quantity of chlorine gas had been created.

Advertisement