Live updates

VIDEO: How rogue trader used 'emotional blackmail' to con his victims

A rogue trader from Portsmouth, who made more than £100,000 from carrying out dodgy repairs, has been jailed for three years.

James Saunders, 51, of Cross Street, charged extortionate amounts of money for the building work, targeting the elderly.

Rogue trader James Saunders

In the video below, Steve Ruddy from Trading Standards, tells ITV News Meridian how Saunders would use 'emotional blackmail' to cheat people out of money.

Rogue trader who preyed on the elderly jailed

A rogue trader who made more than £100,000 by conning elderly people has been jailed for three years.

James Saunders, 51, previously of Blacksmith Lane, Chilworth, charged extortionate amounts of money for dodgy repairs, even driving some victims to the bank to ensure he got his payment.

Rogue trader James Saunders

He made money out of nine victims in total, using fake sob stories to get sympathy, making £104,000 altogether.

Saunders, who now lives in Cross Street, Portsmouth, even cheated an 89-year-old war veteran out of more than £40,000.

In the video below, one of his victims describes how Saunders 'got under her skin' to con money out of her.

He used the money to fund his lavish lifestyle, including top-of-the-range cars, a luxury home and designer clothes.

He pleaded guilty to one count of participating in a fraudulent business over a six-year period taking account of 12 incidents. He admitted overcharging nine victims £117,612.50, of which he actually received £104,837.50. He also pleaded guilty to one count of laundering these proceeds.

He was sentenced at Guildford Crown Court on Friday 12 June.

'This sentence sends a powerful message that rogue traders who charge exorbitant sums for poor quality work or no work at all will be tracked down by our trading standards teams and brought to justice.'

– Richard Walsh, Surrey County Council

For advice on issues involving rogue traders contact Citizens Advice Consumer Service on 03454 040506

Advertisement

Murder suspect remanded in custody

Agim Hoxha's body was discovered in his car in Chilworth on the outskirts of Southampton on April 10 Credit: PA

A 25-year-old Southampton man was remanded in custody charged with murdering a crane driver whose body was found in his burnt-out Mercedes.

Arben Lleshi, of Onslow Road, Southampton, was detained in Rome, Italy, on May 11 in connection with the death of 29-year-old Agim Hoxha.

Mr Hoxha's body was discovered in his car in Chilworth on the outskirts of Southampton on April 10, prompting a murder inquiry by Hampshire's major investigation team code-named Operation Wedgewood.

Police said Lleshi was escorted back to the UK accompanied by British officers.

The short hearing at Southampton Magistrates' Court was adjourned and Lleshi will appear at Winchester Crown Court on May 28, a court official said.

Rome arrest for murder suspect

A 25-year-old man arrested in Italy has been charged with murdering a crane driver whose body was found in his burnt-out car in Southampton.

Arben Lleshi, of Onslow Road, was detained in the capital Rome on May 11 in connection with the death of 29-year-old Agim Hoxha.

Mr Hoxha's body was discovered in his Mercedes in Chilworth on the outskirts of Southampton on April 10, prompting a murder inquiry by Hampshire's major investigation team code-named Operation Wedgewood.

Police said Lleshi was escorted back to the UK yesterday accompanied by British officers and will appear at Southampton Magistrates' Court today.

Advertisement

Murder detectives set to make new appeal

Agim Hoxha's body was found in a burnt out car in Chilworth in Hampshire Credit: Hampshire Police

Police are making a new appeal to catch the killer of a man whose body was found in a burning car in Hampshire.

The body of 29-year-old Agim Hoxha was found in Chilworth Drove, Chilworth, on April 10.

Detectives are still trying to trace the movements of his two cars, a Mercedes and a Ford Mondeo in the days leading up to the murder.

Officers are also looking for a number of important witnesses seen in the area around Shirley Road area hours before Agim’s body was found.

A new appeal will take place today where some further new information will be released.

Man arrested over fatal car fire is released

Police officers examine the scene in Chilworth Credit: ITV Meridian

Police officers were called to the incident at Chilworth on Tuesday, when firefighters found a dead body in a burning car. It's believed the deceased was killed before the fire, but has not yet been identified. A 23 year old man who was arrested has now been released without charge.

Load more updates