Live updates

Crews make leak safe

Firefighters are winding down after making safe a leak of chemicals at Sandbanks Hotel in Dorset.They have ventilated and made the area safe.

The chemicals concerned - sodium bisulphate solution and sodium hypochlorite - when mixed make a chlorine solution which gives off chlorine gas.

This had escaped from plant equipment into the plant room and surrounding area. Crews will be remaining on scene for approx 20 minutes.

Advertisement

Crews tackle chemical incident

Guests have been evacuated from a hotel in Dorset and nearby roads and a beach closed after a chemical incident on Banks Road in Poole.

About 20 firefighters from Poole and Westbourne are currently dealing with the incident at Sandbanks Hotel, which is believed to involve chlorine gas and liquid.

A 60-metre cordon has been put in place around the hotel and all guests have been evacuated. We are dealing with a gas leak which can be potentially harmful to people.

Fire crews will be committed in gas tight suits to investigate and isolate.The beach and road surrounding the hotel have been closed."

– Station Manager Louis Minchella, Dorset Fire and Rescue Service

The ambulance service is dealing with one casualty at the scene and Dorset Police are also in attendance.

Advertisement

Today's top stories