Costa Concordia

Cruising business is buoyant

Cruising companies expected the disaster to eat up profits this year, but recent figures show they're doing better than expected.

Return to Concordia Pt 2

Rose Metcalf from Dorset was one of the last people to be rescued from the Costa Concordia. Join her as she returns to the stricken ship.

Rose Metcalf

Survivor returns to scene of tragedy

Costa Concordia crew member Rose Metcalf helped survivors and was one of the last to be rescued. She wants to know more about the tragedy.

Live updates

Cruise boss a year after Concordia capsized: "Changes have been made"

The head of the UK's biggest cruise lines says major safety changes have been made following the Costa Concordia tragedy one year ago on Sunday.

People from the Meridian region were among those working on and travelling as passengers on the ship when it hit rocks in Italy and listed over on its side. Thirty-two people died. The Italian Captain is accused of straying off couse and is facing court action.

David Dingle, CEO of Carnival UK, talks to our Transport Correspondent Mike Pearse about the safety changes made since the accident.

He insists the industry has responded and is safe and answers criticism that more needs to be done around the issue of ship stability.

Carnival UK owns shipping lines including Cunard, P&O Cruises and Princess. Measures include more drills for passengers and staff, extra life jackets, fewer visits to the bridge, ships keeping to course and heavy objects being secured.

Advertisement

New regulations drafted in wake of Concordia

Tourists take pictures of the Costa Concordia wreckage as they arrive on a ferry to the Giglio Island, Italy, in July. Credit: PA

Ship safety regulations are to be tightened following the Costa Concordia disaster - but it could be many months before some of the regulations take effect.

Safety drills and lifeboat loading are among the measures announced by the International Maritime Organisation (IMO).

32 lives were lost when the Italian cruise liner turned on its side after striking rocks off the Italian coast in January.

The IMO's safety committee has agreed that rules to require passenger safety drills to take place prior to, or immediately upon, departure should now be made mandatory.

This is instead of "within 24 hours", as stated in the current regulations.

However, it will not be until June 2013 that the draft amendments, which will now be circulated for consideration, will be considered again at the committee's next meeting.

It may not be until the end of 2014 that the new measure will come into force.

Other recommended measures include: recording the nationality of each person on board, and guidance on lifeboat loading for training purposes.

Costa Concordia captain demands job back

Costa Concordia
The cruise liner Costa Concordia which ran aground off Italy's Tuscany coast Credit: ITV Meridian

The captain of the Costa Concordia - which capsized with the loss of 32 lives - has started legal action to get his job back.

Francesco Schettino says he is also owed back pay. It was in January this year that the luxury liner ran aground off Italy's Tuscany coast.

Many people from the South had been on the vessel, which was carrying four thousand people when it struck rocks.

One of the crew was Rose Metcalf, from Dorset. She helped survivors to safety and, in April this year, returned to the scene with ITV Meridian reporter Sally Simmonds.

Rose Metcalf
Dorset woman Rose Metcalf who returned to the scene with ITV Meridian Credit: ITV Meridian

In his legal action, Captain Schettino claims his action helped save lives by heading for shore rather than open water.

The ship began to take on water after it struck a submerged rock causing a massive hole in its hull.

Captain Francesco Schettino
Captain Francesco Schettino a few weeks after the capsizing Credit: PA Images

The captain has been accused to sailing too close to the coastline, in order to perform a 'salute' to an old friend and as a favour to a member of crew.

Costa Concordia
The Costa Concordia runs aground Credit: ITV Meridian

At the time, it was reported that he'd abandoned ship before all passengers and crew had got off. He is said to have claimed that he accidentally "tripped" into a lifeboat, but then supervised the evacuation from dry land.

The Captain is expected in Tuscany on Monday for a court hearing at which he is expected to be sent for trial. He could be charged with abandoning ship and multiple counts of manslaughter.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Today's top stories