Bosses quit after Olympic row

Two directors of Crawley-based security firm G4S have resigned in the wake of a review into the company's botched Olympic Games contract.

£80m loss for Virgin Atlantic

Crawley based Virgin Atlantic has announced losses of £80 million for the last financial year.

Tribute to abseil pensioner

A 96-year-old woman who died moments before her tenth abseil was an "amazing lady" who was doing what she loved best, her family said.

Live updates

3 arrested after officers fire at a car

The Surrey and Sussex Tactical Firearms Unit stopped a vehicle on London Road in Crawley at the junction with Fleming Way on Sunday, during an intelligence-led operation. Solid shot rounds were fired into the tyres of the vehicle in order to bring it to a safe halt. No one was injured.

One police vehicle and the vehicle stopped were damaged. 3 people in the vehicle were arrested, one man on suspicion of attempted murder in Hertfordshire and another man and a woman on suspicion of harbouring an offender in relation to the same investigation. All three are in custody.

Advertisement

One person charged, three released on bail

A 23-year-old man has been charged with the murder of a Portuguese man in Crawley. Joao Esteves, 45, from the Lisbon area of Portugal, was found with serious head injuries at 3.25am on 19th January 2014 in an alleyway between Stephenson Way and Haslett Avenue East.

Daniel Palmer, of Maunsell Park, Station Hill, Crawley, has been charged with murder and remanded in custody to appear at Crawley Magistrates' Court tomorrow morning. Two men aged 33 and 48 and a 22-year-old woman, all from Crawley, have been released on bail while officers investigate.

Although we have charged Daniel Palmer with killing Mr Esteves, we still need the public's help. We believe Mr Esteves was attacked along Haslett Avenue East cycle path, opposite Three Bridges football club, where two footpaths meet at a pedestrian crossing. We think many people will have driven past the path either during or after the attack and may have seen something. They may not have come forward yet because they have not realised the gravity of what has happened there or did not realise a crime had been committed. "

– Detective Inspector Sean Kelly, Surrey and Sussex Major Crime Team

He said they needed anyone who drove past the scene between 2.30am and 3.25am on Sunday to get in touch. Inspector Kelly added that people might think that what they knew was not relevant, but it could be vital to the investigation.

Portuguese community in Crawley 'shocked' after death

A Portuguese man who was killed in Crawley over the weekend, may have come to this country in search of a better life. Today, the Portuguese community in the town have spoken of their shock after the victim was found unconscious in an alleyway.

Three men and a woman have been arrested on suspicion of murder and are still being questioned by police. Charlotte Wilkins sends this.

Police are trying to trace family of man killed in Crawley

Detectives are still trying to get in touch with the relatives of a man who died after being assaulted in Crawley.

Officers were called at 3.25am on Sunday 19th January after a 45-year-old Portuguese man was found seriously injured in an alleyway between Stephenson Way and Haslett Avenue East.

Three men and a woman, all from Crawley, were arrested yesterday on suspicion of murder.

All four are in custody being questioned.

Four in custody after man dies following assault

Police are appealing for witnesses after man dies following an assault Credit: Google Maps

Sussex Police are continuing to question four people after the death of a man who was found unconscious in an alleyway in Crawley.

Officers were called to an alleyway between Stephenson Way and Haslett Avenue East at about 3.25am on Sunday. They found an unconscious 45-year-old Portuguese man. He was treated at Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton but died on Sunday afternoon.

Sussex Police are appealing for witnesses. Detective Inspector Wendy Burton, from the Surrey and Sussex Major Crime Team, said:

"Although four people are now in custody we would still like to speak to anyone who was in the area between 10.30pm on Saturday & 3.25am today (Sunday 20th January 2013).

"We are particularly keen to speak to anyone who was in the area around Stephenson Way or Haslett Avenue East near Three Bridges football club between those times.

"We would also like to hear from anyone who may have been told something about what happened in the alleyway.

"If you know something, or you know someone who does, please contact us. We urgently need to piece together exactly what has happened."

Anyone with information is asked to telephone 101 quoting Op Atlas, email 101@sussex.pnn.police.uk or call the Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.

Advertisement

Man dies after attack in Crawley

The man was initially treated by paramedics at the scene, between Stephenson Way and Haslett Avenue East, in the early hours of this morning before being taken to Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton. He died this afternoon.

Detective Chief Inspector Jason Taylor, from the Surrey and Sussex Major Crime Team, said: "We believe the man was assaulted some time between 10.30pm yesterday and 3.25am today but sadly he died this afternoon.

Two men aged 33 & 48 and a woman aged 22, all from Crawley, have been arrested on suspicion of murder and are currently being questioned.

Anyone with information should call 101 quoting Op Atlas, email 101@sussex.pnn.police.uk or call the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111

We need to speak to anyone who was in the area around Stephenson Way or Haslett Avenue East near Three Bridges football club between those times.

– Detective Chief Inspector Jason Tayloy, Sussex Police

School governors have 'fair meeting' with Lord Nash

Yesterday Chris Cook, Chair of Governors at Discovery New School, met with Schools Minister Lord Nash, supported by Henry Smith MP and Phillip Bujak, who is the Chief Executive of The Montessori St Nicholas Charity.

At the meeting, Mr Cook presented the case and options for extending support to Discovery New School to Lord Nash.

Mr Cook said:

“We had a fair hearing. We were not given a response at the meeting and must wait to hear what Lord Nash has concluded from our conversations.

I’d like to thank Henry Smith MP for his support and Lord Nash for his time. It is appreciated.”

– Chris Cook, Chair of Governors at Discovery New School

'Save our school' the plea from parents & staff at the free school threatened with closure

by Christine Alsford

A failing - free school - which faces closure may win a reprieve. School governors from the Discovery New School in Crawley spent the afternoon meeting with government officials.

The school's representatives were trying to convince the education official that the school, which opened in September 2011, hasn't been given enough time to turn things around. Christine Alsford reports.

'It's heartbreaking to watch children go to other schools'

One of the parents fighting to save a free school in Sussex that is threatened with closure says she is struggling to find a suitable alternative school for her daughter Molly.

The Discovery New School in Crawley, which opened in September 2011, is due to be shut down in April over concerns about its standard of education.

The planned closure is a major blow for the Government's free schools initiative. Parents have delivered a petition to Downing Street to save the school.

One mother, Suzanne Cass, says it's heartbreaking to watch children leaving and going to new schools, and that the Discovery New School should be given more time.

She is hoping that the school will be reprieved today, and made an impassioned plea to save the school ahead of a high level meeting that is being held with Government education officials later today.

Load more updates

Advertisement

Today's top stories