Live updates

Petrol generator produced deadly fumes, killing guard

A security company have been fined for safety failings as a security guard was killed by carbon monoxide fumes from a petrol generator, whilst watching over a disused nursing home in Gravesend.

Security guard Arthur Ebirim, from Peckham, was overcome by the fumes as he kept watch over-night at an empty nursing home in Taunton Vale in October 2011.

The employers, Anchor Services (GB) Limited was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive yesterday after an investigation found serious flaws with how the generator was used.

The generator belonged to one of the workers and was also placed inside the lobby to provide power.

Anchor Services was fined £20,000 and was ordered to pay a further £35,656 in costs.

The petrol generator produced deadly fumes which killed a security guard in Gravesend Credit: Health and Safety Executive

Pensioner bailed after man's body found

A 78-year-old woman who was arrested on suspicion of the murder of an elderly man in Sussex has been released on police bail. The body of a man was found at Seven Sisters Country Park early on Friday. The woman from Croydon, who is known to the victim, has been bailed until 10 October.

The victim was found on a path leading to the sea at 2.30am after a call to police. The man has not yet been formally identified by next of kin. Acting DCI Jon Fanner said: 'We are appealing to anyone who may have seen an elderly couple behaving unusually or what would appear to be out of character.

'We also believe they were staying in Brighton so would like to hear from anyone who was on a bus travelling from the city to the Seven Sisters area and who saw an elderly couple get off at this location.'

Advertisement

Advertisement

Today's top stories