Live updates

Adventurous dog reunited with Kent owner after six months

Chippy-Rusty is happy to be back with his owner in Kent Credit: Swale Borough Council

A dog has been reunited with his Kent owner who had given up all hope of finding the Jack Russell who went missing for six months.

The small Jack Russell was reported missing in Swanley last September after escaping through an open window.

Swale Council was then contacted by a member of the public to say they had seen a stray dog in the street in Lower Halstow.

Owner Gerry said he was glad he invested in a micro-chip to help find his adventurous dog.

He said: "This is another great example of the benefits of getting your pet micro-chipped and how much easier it makes finding the real owner. As soon as Gerry picked up the dog you could see the bond between the two was very strong.”

Police seize dog in Gosport

Police have arrested a man and seized a dog following an incident on Gosport High Street on Wednesday 11th December 11 just after 1pm.

It follows a report of the dog biting a man.

A 27-year-old man from Gosport has been arrested on suspicion of failing to comply with a dog control order and allowing his dog to be dangerously out of control in a public place.

We are treating this matter so seriously as a previous incident involving this dog was reported and a dog control order was in place. It was in the interests of public safety that the dog was taken off the streets before it could potentially end up biting another person, or more seriously, a child.”

– PC Roger Loxton Gear

Advertisement

Picking up strays

The number of stray dogs picked up by councils in the south east has reached 9,200 - that's an increase of 10% on last year. The latest figures, released by the Dogs Trust, equate to 25 dogs being picked up every day by Local Authorities in the South East.

So is the family pet the latest victim of the long recession? Nashreen Issa talks to Adam Levy from The Dogs Trust, Nicholas Barnes from Pets at Home and an Animal Welfare officer from Brighton and Hove Council.

Dog gets head stuck in wall

It's a dogs life for Lexi who got stuck in this wall Credit: Hampshire Fire and Rescue

A dog had to be rescued after her head stuck in a wall.

Lexi, an eight month old field cocker spaniel, was rescued by a member of Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service’s Animal Rescue team.

Lexi had to be rescued by Hampshire and Fire and Rescue Credit: Hampshire Fire and Rescue

The dog's owner, Vicky Lovelock, called for help incident when the poor pooch got stuck in White Hart Lane, Portchester, yesterday

Vicky said: “I was walking Lexi and she was on the lead. She must have smelt or seen something which drew her attention enough to poke her head through a wall."

Reunited at last: Vicky Lovelock and Lexi Credit: Hampshire Fire and Rescue

Animal Rescue Specialist, Anton Phillips said: “I asked Vicky to hold the dog firmly whilst I released Lexi by using a hammer and chisel, gently using the chisel to crack the wall."

Vicky added: “I am so grateful to Anton and Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service."

Dog 'accidentally turned on the hob'

A fire is thought to have started after a dog accidentally turned on the hob in a Dartford home yesterday afternoon. Two fire engines from Dartford were sent to the two-storey house in Willow Road at 12.13pm after the homeowner called 999.

Firefighters discovered that the homeowner had been doing some laundry and had left the next load on top of the hob. She then went to collect her daughter from nursery and returned to find smoke coming out of her house.

Just three breaths of fire smoke can knock you unconscious so don’t put yourself at risk by stopping to investigate the fire or to collect pets or valuables. Just tell the fire crews when they arrive – we’ll be able to find them quicker and more safely than you. The safest option is to make sure cookers and other appliances are always fully switched off after use and never store items around ovens and hobs.

– Bob Chilmaid, Dartford Watch Manager

The fire destroyed 20% of the kitchen and caused smoke damage throughout the house. To get fire safety advice click here.

Advertisement

Shock after burglars kill dog

A dog has been killed during a burglary at a house in Ropley, near Winchester.

The one-year-old Border Collie called Red was chained to a kennel outside when the offenders hit her on the head with a heavy object.

The incident happened in Gilbert Street sometime between 9.30pm on November 22 and 8am on November 23.

Red was found by a family member the following morning. She was taken to the vet where she was destroyed due to the extent of her injuries.

PC Emma Purser, of Hampshire Police, said: “The family are devastated by the loss of their

much loved family pet. She had been bred by the owner and was expected to eventually be put to work on the family farm.p.

“It appears they have injured Red....then left empty handed."

Dexter the dog rescued after 30 foot quarry fall

Dexter fell 30 feet into the quarry Credit: Kent Fire and Rescue

A specialist fire team have rescued a dog which fell 30 feet into a quarry in Kent.

Jason Ensinger was walking Dexter, a three-year-old cross breed, when the much-loved pet ran under a fence and slid 30 foot down the quarry. He became stuck on a ledge, approximately 50 feet from the bottom.

A specialist line team from Kent Fire and Rescue were called in to rescue him.

A specialist line team descend into the quarry Credit: Kent Fire and Rescue

Station Manager Dean Firmin explained what happened next: "Wearing a harness, a firefighter was lowered down but he then had trouble trying to get the dog and it was becoming increasingly anxious and was trying to escape so we were starting to worry that it could fall off the ledge.

"Following a suggestion by Jason, we then gave him a harness and clipped him onto our firefighter; making sure they were both safely attached, they then went down to the ledge. Fortunately this time, the dog was happy to go to his owner and he was successfully brought back to safety.

The line rescue team are specially trained and equipped to deal with this sort of rescue and we're pleased we were able to help."

Dexter stranded in the quarry Credit: Kent Fire and Rescue

Jason said: "We can't thank them enough as Dexter is more than a family pet, he's like a child to us and we were so frightened for him, especially as he became more scared and started trying to run around on the ledge.

"The fire crews were fantastic and I know people would say 'what's the fuss, he's just a pet?' but he's more than that and we're so very thankful that they managed to help."

Load more updates