Firefighters have been damping down at the scene of a major fire in Dorset. A metal plating business on the Fernwood Industrial Estate caught alight late on Saturday afternoon. At its height up to 100 firefighters and support staff were needed. There are no reports of any injuries.
The fire started in a property in Haviland Road, Ferndown. Shortly after Dorset Fire crews arrived they requested more for help. Aappliances from Ferndown, Wimborne, Redhill and Poole were mobilised and eight crews were sent to the scene.
Additional crews from Westbourne, Springbourne, Verwood and Christchurch were also mobilised, together with a high rise and support appliance The electricity board also attended as the building was under high voltage lines.
The building is a semi-detached industrial unit used as a metal finishing factory. An hour after the first call further assistance was requested and 12 crews attended in all - involving 60 fire fighters. Crews from Hamworthy, Ferndown, Wareham, and Blandford helped fight the blaze.
It is now under control.
A beach hut on Portland was destroyed by fire early today. Firefighters were called around 4am to the blaze near the Old Higher Lighthouse.
A Dorset Fire and Rescue spokesman said the hut and its contents were destroyed in the blaze, which was believed to have been started deliberately.
A large fire at a landfill site in Dorset is still burning. Two tons of waste is still alight. Fire crews have been on site all night. When the blaze started yesterday evening thirty thousand tons of rubbish was on fire.
Firefighters from Dorset and Hampshire have helped to dampen down the flames.
Fire crews from Dorset and Hampshire are fighting a large rubbish fire near Verwood. The blaze involves around 30,000 tons of waste.
Fifty firefighters are at the scene. The blaze broke out shortly before 8pm. Fire crews are attending from Ringwood, Verwood, Ferndown, Beaulieu and Eastleigh.
It is a joint operation involving Hampshire and Dorset Fire and Rescue Services. Crews are expected to remain at the incident for some time.
With the fine weather this weekend the fire brigade is warning people about the dangers of storing used barbecues after hot coals started a fire in a garage in Dorset. Fire crews were called to the fire in Shipton Lane in Burton Bradstock last night.
Dorset Fire and Rescue Service said the cause was accidental due to used barbecue coals catching a wood store alight.
A spokesman said used barbecues should be left in the open away from anything flammable before being stored in a safe location.
A care home was evacuated in Dorset overnight due to a fire.
Seventeen residents were moved to safety at the home on Ringwood Road in Ferndown. A bedroom and bathroom have been damaged in the blaze which was started in an extractor fan.
No-one was injured. The fire was out by 3:30am.
Fire and ambulance crews were called to Julian's Bridge in Wimborne in Dorset at around 12.30 am following reports that a man had fallen into the river.
By the time they arrived the man had been helped to the river bank by a friend. Using a spinal board ambulance crews took the man to hospital.
Firefighters have been working to bring a fire in Dorset under control.
More than fifty firefighters were needed when a fire broke out in a house in Little Bredy near Dorchester in Dorset. It spread to the adjoining property, destroying the entire thatched roof. It's thought it started in a chimney.