Live updates

Five men arrested after assault in Poole

Detectives are appealing for witnesses to come forward following an alleged serious assault in Poole. Police were called to the viewing point in Sea View Road following reports that a man had been struck by a car and assaulted by several men from the same vehicle. The car involved in the incident has been described as a silver VW, possibly a Golf or a Polo. The victim, a 33-year-old Poole man, sustained a leg injury and was taken to hospital for treatment.

Detective Sergeant Andy Roberts, of Bournemouth CID, said: “The incident happened in a busy area of Poole and I urge anyone who saw what happened to contact me"

Five men, aged in their 20s, have been arrested in the Avon and Somerset area on suspicion of conspiracy to cause grievous bodily harm and are currently assisting police with their enquiries.

Anyone with information should call Dorset Police on 101 or the anonymous Crimestoppers line on 0800 555 111.

Police appeal after 16-year-old girl robbed in Wimborne

Officers are appealing for witnesses and information after a 16-year-old girl was robbed at a bus stop in the Merley area of Wimborne.

The teenager was waiting for a bus opposite Merley First School in Oakley Straight on the morning of Friday, November 7, when she was pushed to the ground twice causing her to hit her head.

The victim's red and pink headphones were stolen and she sustained bruises to her face and body

The offender is described as white, five feet six inches tall and of muscly build. He was wearing dark coloured jeans, a leather jacket, a dark coloured hooded top with the hood up and padded ski gloves.

This was a frightening attack on a teenage girl in broad daylight and fortunately she did not suffer more serious injuries.

I am keen to speak to anyone who may have seen this incident or has any information that can assist with the investigation. I urge witnesses and anyone with information to come forward as soon as possible.

– Police Constable Julie Payne, Poole Police

Witnesses and anyone with information should call Dorset Police on 101 quoting incident number 7:199, or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Advertisement

Police appeal following burglary in Christchurch

Officers in Christchurch are appealing for witnesses and information to after a burglary in the town.

The burglary happened some time between 5.15pm on Wednesday 5 November 2014 and 12.45pm on Friday 7 November 2014 at a home on Old Barn Road.

Two ornamental Royal Doulton trinket boxes and an old style briefcase were taken.

Two ornamental Royal Doulton trinket boxes were stolen. Credit: DorsetPolice

Police Constable Jim Perks, of East Dorset police, said:

I would urge anyone who saw suspicious activity in the area during this time to come forward as soon as possible.

I would also like to hear from anyone who has been offered such items for sale in strange circumstances or for an unusually low price.

– Jim Perks

Anyone with information should call Dorset Police on 101, quoting incident number 07:201, or contact Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Further conviction for drug offences in Operation Moped

Another person has been sentenced for drug offences following one of the biggest operations in the county in recent years. Dorset Police pro-actively targeted street level drug dealers in the Boscombe area of Bournemouth where there was a suspicion that drugs offences were being committed.

Jordan Baptiste, 20, has been sentenced to 30 months for supplying heroin, 30 months for supplying crack cocaine and 1 month for possession of cannabis – all to run concurrently.

So far 25 defendants from Operation Moped have been sentenced to a total of over 51 years for street level dealing, which includes suspended sentences.

Chris Weeks, Dorset Police Regeneration Inspector for Boscombe, said:

The operation had a clear focus on on-street drug dealing. The individuals arrested for drug related crimes are being placed before the courts from today and over the coming weeks.

We will not stop here. As part of our ongoing police work, day to day patrols will continue to listen to communities and will continue to keep the pressure on individuals involved in the drug trade.

The message to anyone involved in on-street drug dealing remains – if you are drug dealing, it will not be tolerated and you will be arrested.

– Chris Weeks

Anyone with information should contact Dorset Police on 101.

Man jailed for knife attack in Bournemouth

A man has today been jailed for four-and-a-half years for stabbing another man twice in a vicious knife attack on a street in Bournemouth.

Scott Tinpeloo, 20, was told he would have to serve an additional four years on licence once released.

The court heard the victim, a 22-year-old man from Bournemouth, was walking home when he was attacked by Tinpeloo with a large kitchen knife in West Hill Road at around 11.30am on Friday 13 June.

Scott Tinpeloo, 20, faces four years and a half in jail. Credit: DorsetPolice

The victim sustained a stab wound in the middle of his back in line with his spine and a second in his lower back above the right hip.

Detective Constable Leo Glendon, of Bournemouth CID, said:

This was a vicious and unprovoked attack in broad daylight on an innocent man. Dorset Police will not tolerate knife crime in the county and the sentence handed out today is appropriate for the seriousness of the offence.

– Leo Glendon

Drug dealers to pay back over half £1 million

Drug dealers are to pay back over half a £1 million after Dorset Police secured confiscation orders worth almost £600,000 against six convicted dealers.

On Friday June 6, Scott Woods, 25, Guy Anning, 22, Dean McLeod, 33, Stewart Davidson, 29 and Ashley Smith, 29, were sentenced to a total of 35 years and nine months in jail for conspiring to supply class A drugs.

The men have since been ordered to pay back the ill-gained funds, the amounts to be paid are:

  • Anning £142,109.32
  • McLeod £78,560.05
  • Davidson £78,380
  • Smith £78,480
  • Woods £213,185

Detective Sergeant Andrew Kennard, of Dorset Police’s Economic Crime Unit, said:

These men were arrested in October and November 2012 following an extensive investigation led by Dorset Police’s Major Crime Team. The investigation unveiled a comprehensive conspiracy to supply a class A drugs across the county of Dorset. Dorset Police does not tolerate drug dealing and we will take every opportunity to deprive criminals of their illegal gain. We will use all the powers available to us to ensure that anyone convicted of drug dealing is dealt with robustly by the criminal justice system and by the courts using Proceeds of Crime Act legislation.

– Andrew Kennard

Advertisement

Gang with fireworks causes damage in Weymouth

Appeal for witnesses after criminal damage Credit: Dorset Police

Officers in Weymouth are appealing for witnesses to come forward following a spate of criminal damage involving fireworks in the town.

Police were called to Franklin Road following reports of a group of four men setting off fireworks in the street and throwing them at vehicles and buildings. Household waste bins caught alight and had to be extinguished by residents and a firework was propelled through the door of a passing taxi. Incidents in which fireworks were thrown through the letterboxes of two properties in nearby Longcroft Road were also reported.

The offenders have been described as wearing dark-coloured hooded jumpers. One was said to be wearing a dark coloured Adidas hooded jumper with grey stripes down the arms.

Police Constable Will Conroy, of Weymouth and Portland Police, said: “This was a frightening experience for the residents and members of public who were in Franklin Road at the time. I would like to hear from anyone who witnessed what happened or who may have information about the people responsible."

A 19-year-old man from Dorchester was arrested on suspicion of assault and has been released on police bail pending further enquiries until early December.

Witnesses and anyone with information should call Dorset Police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

New gun amnesty in Dorset to take firearms out of use

Dorset Police are launching a gun surrender campaign today. The two-week amnesty aims to help take guns out of circulation in the county. Officers say they want to enable people who want to hand in unwanted firearms.

More than 300 firearms were handed in during a previous amnesty in Dorset in 2003. The weapons turned in included starting guns, BB guns, air weapons, shotguns, pistols and rifles. Ammunition was also surrendered. Officers said the vast majority of the firearms were not being used for criminal activity.

"We acknowledge that the vast majority of firearms owned in Dorset are legally held and responsibly used.

"However, from time to time members of the public acquire firearms either as a result of inheriting them or, in some cases, as a result of changes to legislation when legally held weapons become illegally held weapons.

"In order to ensure that firearms do not end up in wider circulation and potentially become available for unlawful or criminal use, Dorset Police is participating in a national firearms surrender campaign.

"We want to stop guns falling into the wrong hands. Every gun given up is one less that poses a threat or that criminals can potentially get hold of.

"The campaign will allow people to surrender firearms across Dorset during these dates.

"I would like to remind residents that Dorset is a very safe place to live with very low levels of gun-related crime. Levels of illegally held firearms are low but this is a real opportunity for members of the public to relinquish any weapons that may be outside the law."

– Operational Support Superintendent Nicky Searle, Dorset Police

Aggravated burglary in Bournemouth

Detectives in Bournemouth are appealing for witnesses and anyone with information to come forward after an aggravated burglary in the Boscombe area of the town.

The incident happened at around 5pm on Saturday 18 October 2014 at an address along Palmerston Road.

A large group of men wearing balaclavas entered the house and approached the victim. One man held a gun to the victim’s head while another held a knife to his throat – they all spoke with London accents.

The victim who is in his late teens was subsequently sprayed in the eye with an acid type substance and is still recovering in hospital.

The victim has described one of the attackers as white, around six feet tall, of thin build and wearing a grey beanie hat and scarf or balaclava. He had a pronounced bridge area on his nose and was wearing a dark blue waterproof coat.

“This was a very distressing incident for the victim having suffered a serious eye injury. I would urge anyone who saw suspicious activity along Palmerston Road between 4.50pm and 5.30pm on Saturday 18 October to come forward. Anyone with information about the men responsible should contact police in confidence.”

– Detective Sergeant Paul Auger, of Bournemouth CID

Sale of Ferndown HQ approved by Dorset Police

Changes to counter service provision and the proposed sale of Ferndown divisional HQ have been announced today as a result of an extensive review of Dorset Police’s estates and contact management strategy.

The estates review was set up in 2010 aiming to examine and reshape the Force to achieve savings, and to ensure that Dorset Police continue to deliver the best service to communities by creating efficiencies and streamlining functions where possible.

The Force needs to find further savings of £9.5 million by 2015 – the result of continued reductions in central government funding, alongside inflationary cost increases.

The changes to counter services, and the decision to sell Ferndown HQ were ratified after a 12 month consultation process at the Force Strategic Change Board on Wednesday 17 September 2014. The changes will collectively save the Force an estimated £700,000.

Counter service provision is being reduced from 15 to nine locations, with four fulltime enquiry offices remaining in Bournemouth, Poole, Weymouth and Bridport.

Blandford, Gillingham and Sherborne will alternate opening two days each per week, with Swanage and Winfrith operating a ‘sign posting’ facility whereby staff help members of the public with their enquiries by directing them to relevant services.

“This decision has been one of the most challenging faced by Dorset Police in recent memory and, needless to say, it is not one that has been taken lightly. I think it is really important to remember that this time last year the Force announced the proposal to close 12 out of the 15 front office counters, and as a result of my intervention and the public intervention, the year long consultation took place which leads us to closing six. I know that six front office counters are six too many, but we have to meet our cuts somewhere when we are losing 20% of our budget. The initial review of station desk enquiry offices identified that they were an expensive and under-utilised resource, with only a small proportion of visits related to policing matters. Findings showed that in the five year period, 2009 to 2013, some offices received on average less than seven visits a day from members of the public."

– Police and Crime Commissioner Martyn Underhill

Boscombe has been closed since 2012. Verwood and Wimborne have been temporarily closed since May and June 2014 respectively and will not re-open. Shaftesbury, Ferndown, Christchurch, Winton, Dorchester and Wareham will also close as a result of Wednesday’s decision.

Recent surveys indicate that three-quarters of the public prefer to contact Dorset Police by telephone and improvements have already been made to the 101 non-emergency service.

In response to public feedback last year, the Force and PCC announced that work was underway to improve Dorset Police’s online services and that joint agency initiatives would be explored to give members of the public more choice in the ways in which they can make contact and access up to date information.

The decision to sell Ferndown divisional headquarters and transferring 220 members of staff to other areas of the Force will save almost £400,000 a year in running costs – the equivalent of 10 front line officers or 17 Community Support Officers. The estimated value of the site is approximately between £6 and £8 million.

It is expected that the sale of the building and re-location of staff could take up to two years.

The Ferndown Safer Neighbourhood Team will continue to operate in the heart of the town from their local Community Office at the Barrington Centre.

“Dorset Police is the fourth lowest spending Force in England and Wales and is faced with a very challenging budgetary situation, so difficult choices have had to be made. We know that changes of this nature are emotive, however the Force cannot continue to provide the same style of service as in the past while operating with a significantly reduced budget. We are committed to providing the best possible service while reflecting true demand and value for money and an organisational change programme continues to improve efficiency and identify savings across the Force. The initial proposal to keep just two front counters was changed following extensive consultation with the communities and partner agencies. We have listened carefully to our stakeholders and retained services where they are most needed. The Force continues to ensure that there is a policing footprint in every town in Dorset and that we continue to deliver local policing from these locations.”

– Chief Constable Debbie Simpson

Dorset Police is already relocating some of its patrolling officers to response policing hubs in east and north Dorset. These locations have been identified to best meet the current and future operational needs of the county.

The Force estate continues to be reviewed in order to meet the financial challenges and operational demands that the police face.

Load more updates