Live updates

Man accused of partner's murder 'spat at' in court

The boyfriend of a mother of four from Dorset was spat at when he appeared in court charged with her murder.

Samantha Henderson, 25, was last seen in her home town of Corfe Castle last Wednesday.

Ever since police have been searching for her body and her phone.

When Domonic Isom appeared before Magistrates Court in Bournemouth he was shouted and spat at by a man who then ran out of court.

Richard Slee was there:

Advertisement

RNLI rescued more than 1000 people last year

Lifeboat crews in Hampshire and Dorset rescued over 1,000 people last year, according to new figures released by the RNLI.

The sea rescue charity says dozens of those rescued would almost certainly have died without help.

Poole and Portsmouth were among the busiest lifeboat stations in the country.

Malcolm Shaw went to meet some of the men and women behind the statistics and looks back at some of their most memorable rescues:

Meanwhile, the late Bernard Jordan, who 'escaped' from his care home to travel to the D-Day commemorations in France, has left his entire estate to the RNLI.

  1. National

2,000 Tesco jobs at risk as store closure list revealed

Tesco Credit: PA Wire

Around 2,000 Tesco workers have been told their jobs are at risk after the supermarket giant announced the location of 43 store closures.

Seven superstores and six Homeplus outlets are among the unprofitable shops identified for closure by new chief executive Dave Lewis.

Mr Lewis said: "The decision to close the stores has been exceptionally difficult to take. I recognise it will affect many hard-working colleagues, our customers and local communities.

"Our priority is to explain what this announcement means for our colleagues and, wherever possible, offer them alternative roles with Tesco."

Advertisement

Planned ambulance strike action cancelled

Strike action will no longer go ahead tomorrow

South Central Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust has announced that planned strike action by its staff will no longer go ahead.

The Trust says it was notified by Unison, Unite and GMB of their intention to strike on Thursday 29 January, but that following talks between unions and the government, the action has been suspended.

We welcome the suspension which means we can concentrate on business as usual.

We recognise the right of our employees to strike and in light of this action we had been continuing to work closely with all our staff, partners and the public to help us reduce demand on our services and help us to continue to protect our patients and achieve an adequate and safe level of 999, 111 and PTS cover.

– South Central Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust
Load more updates