Live updates

Man arrested in Dover after terror attack due in court

An improvised explosive device was

An 18 year old man, arrested at the port of Dover, following the Parsons Green terror attack is due in court.

An improvised explosive device injured 30 people on an underground train during rush hour last month.

Ahmed Hassan, an Iraqi asylum seeker, of Cavendish Road in Sunbury has been accused of attempted murder and using the chemical compound TATP to cause an explosion that was likely to endanger life.

He allegedly bought parts to make the improvised explosive device online and left the District Line train at Putney Bridge before the device partially detonated at the next station on 15th September.

Witnesses described how a fireball erupted inside the carriage, leaving 30 people injured, including one woman with serious burns.

The teenager, whose parents are understood to have been killed in Iraq, was in the foster care of Penelope and Ronald Jones, aged 71 and 88 respectively, who previously received MBEs for services to children and families.

Hassan will make his first Crown Court appearance before senior judge Mr Justice Haddon-Cave via video link from custody.

18-year-old arrested at Dover after tube bomb

The incident at Parsons Green left several people injured

An 18-year-old man has been arrested in Dover on suspicion of a terror offence. It follows the Parsons Green underground train bombing in London on Friday 15th September.

Scotland Yard said that Kent Police detained the teenager in the port area of Dover this morning. The Metropolitan Police said that they will move the teenager to a police station in South London.

"We have made a significant arrest in our investigation this morning. Although we are pleased with the progress made, this investigation continues and the threat level remains at critical.

"The public should remain vigilant as our staff, officers and partners continue to work through this complex investigation. We are not, at this time, changing our protective security measures and the steps taken to free up extra armed officers remain in place.

"This arrest will lead to more activity from our officers. For strong investigative reasons we will not give any more details on the man we arrested at this stage."

– Deputy Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu, Kent Police

Advertisement

Lydden Hill celebrates fifty years of Rallycross

More than 10,000 motor racing fans have descended on Kent to help celebrate fifty years since the birth of the sport of Rallycross.

It was first launched in 1967 - on the racing track at Lydden Hill near Dover.

Competing today were the very fast supercars - as well as cars from 50 years ago.

Abigail Bracken's report includes interviews with four times British Rallycross champion, Pat Doran; Nathan Heathcote of LD Motorsports; and Darren Scott of Pirtek Motorsports.

Varied history of Dover Castle unveiled

It played a vital role in the two World Wars. Its underground tunnels were integral in the Dunkirk evacuation, when it became the command centre for the Royal Navy. But the history of Dover Castle stretches back many more centuries. Today families were given a glimpse of some of its rich past as Derek Johnson reports.

Lorry driver caught smuggling cigarettes jailed

Credit: Kent Police

A lorry driver caught smuggling eight million cigarettes into the UK has been jailed for two and half years.

40 year old Artur Staniszczak tried to evade more than £2 million in excise duty and was arrested in Dover Eastern Docks in July.

The arrest came after a search of the lorry he was driving revealed 7.9 million Richmond Blue branded cigarettes, instead of the 33 pallets of paper goods shown on the import documents.

Credit: Kent Police

Staniszczak pleaded guilty to evading excise duty at Maidstone Crown Court on 15th August 2017.

He was immediately jailed for two and a half years, of which 15 months must be served in custody.

Upon sentencing, His Honour Judge Carey, said: "You acted out of character by doing something criminal. Your role, in my judgement, was clearly a significant role."

Credit: Kent Police

This lorry contained nothing but boxes of smuggled cigarettes. Staniszczak hoped that false import documents would prevent the illegal load being discovered, but he's now paying the price with a prison sentence."

"HMRC continues to work with Border Force and other agencies to reduce the availability of illicit tobacco, which costs the UK around £2.4 billion a year and rips-off legitimate businesses. We encourage anyone with information regarding the smuggling, storage or sale of illegal cigarettes and tobacco to contact our Fraud Hotline on 0800 788 887."

– Tim Clarke, Assistant Director, Fraud Investigation Service, HMRC

Advertisement

Veteran remembers the Battle of Britain's fallen

Wing Commander Paul Farnes at The Wing on Sunday Credit: ITV News Meridian

It is more than three quarters of a century since the RAF took on the might of the Luftwaffe in the skies over Dover.

But time has not diminished the significance of that battle nor the desire of recent generations to pay homage to those who did so much to keep our island free.

At the weekend, once again, crowds gathered to pay respects to those who took part in the Battle of Britain.

From Capel le Ferne, Jenna Verdicchio reports.

Jenna spoke to Richard Hunting, Chairman of the Battle of Britain Memorial Trust and Bridie Wakeford, Cadet Warrant Officer.

New scheme offers relief for drivers in Dover

A £5 million scheme to manage traffic heading to Dover during peak periods will soon allow drivers to pick up the pace.

A 40mph limit along the A20 between Folkestone and Dover will be lifted this summer when lorries aren't queueing to enter the port - thanks to the introduction of new technology.

Tony Green reports.

Load more updates