A teenager from Kent has been banned from driving after he was found to be more than twice the legal limit - he was just 15 years old.
Medway Youth Court was told that unknown to his mother, he had drunk three bottles of cider and seven bottles of beer - before crashing her car. Derek Johnson reports.
A coach driver has been arrested after his vehicle collided with a school gate in Southampton. It happened in Bellemoor Road, Southampton.
School staff noted the driver was not well and called for an ambulance.
Police were called to the scene by the ambulance service at around 9.20am.
Officers breath-tested the driver, a 53-year-old man. He was arrested on suspicion of driving over the drink-drive limit and bailed until February.
The man was taken to hospital by ambulance but he has not suffered any injuries as a result of the collision.
The driver was the only person on board at the time. No-one at the school was injured or involved in the incident. The coach was carrying 'educational equipment'.
Almost a fifth of drivers in the South have driven the morning after a night of heavy drinking according to figures from the AA.
The organisation has released the numbers to remind drivers this festive season - that they can still be over the limit the next day. However, the survey also shows that more than half of party goers will avoid drink driving by agreeing a designated driver before a night out.
The organisation also polled people on the top tactics they use the morning after a night of heavy drinking to reduce alcohol levels:
- 37% Drink lots of water
- 16% Eat a fried breakfast
- 9% Drink fruit juice
- 6% Take an Aspirin
- 3% Go for a run
- 2% Drink Irn Bru
- 2% Eat choclate
- 5% Use other methods
However, the AA recommends that if people are going to drive early the next day, that they do not drink at all the night before.
Sussex and Surrey police officers will tweet about people stopped on suspicion of drink or drug-driving as part of a campaign to cut the number of rogue motorists in the run-up to Christmas.
Throughout December, officers will disclose details on Twitter, including when and where motorists were pulled over for the alleged offences.
Those who are charged with drink or drug-driving offences can then expect to be publicly "named and shamed" as part of the forces' joint Christmas offensive.
Warning posters will be put up where people were arrested during last year's festive campaign in a further effort to deter offending on the roads.
And people are being invited to text officers with details of people they suspect of drink or drug-driving or by visiting the website www.operationcrackdown.co.uk
Sergeant Jane Derrick, the head of roads policing across Sussex and Surrey, said there remained a "small minority" of motorists who refused to believe the law applies to them.
Last December, 211 motorists were arrested on suspicion of drink or drug-driving in Sussex, with 135 of them so far being convicted of offences. Another five are still going through the courts.
Sgt Derrick said: " There is no excuse for driving while over the limit or after taking drugs but there remains a small minority who refuse to believe that the law applies to them."
To illustrate the campaign, Sussex Police has released video of Jason Fray, 29, who was arrested at 2.30am on December 20 last year after officers found him parked next to the A29 at Billingshurst.
As officers suspected him of drug-driving, he was ordered to prove he was fit to drive by carrying out basic tasks, including walking in a straight line and standing on one leg.
Fray, of Rascals Close, Southwater, was convicted of being in charge of a vehicle while unfit through drugs. He was banned from driving for four months, fined £250 and ordered to pay £85 costs and a £25 victim surcharge.
In a bid to tackle drink and drug driving over the Christmas period, police in the Meridian region are naming and shaming those who have been charged.
It is all part of an annual campaign, which starts today, to crackdown on dangerous driving in the Thames Valley, Dorset, Hampshire and the Isle of Wight.
The custody images of those charged with drink or drug driving offences will also be released, alongside details of their court appearances.
The month-long initiative will finish on Thursday 1st January 2015.
A hovercraft pilot has been sentenced to eight months in jail for being almost three times the drink drive limit on a journey across the Solent.
Thirty-six passengers were on board the service between Portsmouth and the Isle of Wight when Richard Pease had a near miss with a tanker and a busy pier - before missing the landing pad. Andrew Pate reports from Newport Crown Court.
A hovercraft pilot has been sentenced to eight months in jail for being nearly three times over the drink drive limit on a journey across the Solent.
Thirty six passengers were on board the service between Portsmouth and the Isle of Wight when Richard Pease had a near miss with a tanker and a busy pier before missing the landing pad at Ryde.