Live updates

New beer created to help Eastbourne Pier traders

A new beer has been created to help traders suffering since a devastating fire destroyed part of Eastbourne Pier.

The Long Man Brewery in East Sussex has teamed up with Eastbourne-based Curious Beer Club to support businesses affected by last month's blaze.

All profits up to #10,000 from the sale of the Craft Pier beer will go into a benevolent fund to help firms get back into business.

"Everyone connected to Eastbourne felt the pain of seeing a fundamental part of our heritage go up in smoke. The Curious Beer Club came to us with an idea and we immediately wanted to help."

– Jamie Simm,The Long Man Brewery, based in Litlington, near Eastbourne

"When we heard about the fire we knew we could do something to help, it was just a matter of finding a progressive local brewer."

– Adam McNaught-Davis, co-founder of the Curious Beer Club

The fire on July 30 left the dome-shaped amusement arcade near the 144-year-old pier's entrance a scorched shell. Everyone escaped unharmed.<

It was initially suspected that an electrical fault could have caused the blaze, but Sussex Police are now treating it as "suspicious". No arrests have been made.

Advertisement

Crowd funding appeal launched to help Eastbourne pier traders

The damaged pier Credit: PA

An Eastbourne resident has launched a crowd funding appeal to help the traders and businesses affected by the fire on the pier.

The money will go towards the Eastbourne Pier Benevolent Fund which will create pop up shops to help keep traders afloat while it's rebuilt.

The benevolent fund has been organised by the Chamber of Commerce, the Eastbourne Hospitality Association, Eastbourne Borough Council and Eastbourne MP Stephen Lloyd.

Mr Lloyd said: "This is a disaster for us. It is a lovely pier. It was built in 1870. It's heartbreaking, absolutely heartbreaking."

But he said two thirds of the pier remained intact and the structure could be repaired.

The crowd funding appeal has been launched by resident Bruce Salter.

Mr Salter, who has lived in the area for 15 years, described the pier as an "iconic" structure.

Despite the damage the structure can be repaired Credit: PA

The fire broke out on Wednesday behind wood panelling in the arcade building.

Eastbourne Borough Council leader David Tutt has said he understood the fire had been started by an electrical fault, but fire crews have said the cause is unexplained and an investigation will take a number of days.

No-one was injured and the fire is not being treated as suspicious

PM visits Eastbourne to announce £2m pier fund

Following the raging fire that took hold of Eastbourne pier on Wednesday, the prime minister visited the seaside town to announce vital funding for the pier. Two million pounds have been set aside by the government to help rebuild the iconic Sussex landmark. John Ryall sends this report from Eastbourne.

Advertisement

Eastbourne pier fire now being treated as possible arson

"As a result of our investigation we have received information to suggest that the fire may have been started by someone, either deliberately or accidently, and our investigation is now focusing on that line of enquiry.

A temporary scaffold platform has been erected adjacent to where the fire is thought to have broken out in order to enable scenes of crime officers and fire investigators safe access to the area.

In the meantime, we are very keen to hear from anyone who has photographs or video taken at the entrance or actually on the pier in the hours before the fire started. If you have such material or indeed any other information about the incident, please email us at pier.fire@sussex.pnn.police.uk quoting Operation Barsham. Alternatively, you can call 101 or the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111."

– Detective Inspector Mark O'Brien, Sussex Police

PM 'determined' to help Eastbourne businesses recover

David Cameron and George Osborne have seen first-hand the destruction wrought by a fire on Eastbourne Pier - as it was announced that the resort is to be given up to £2 million.

The Prime Minister and Chancellor visited the East Sussex seaside town two days after part of the 144-year-old structure was left a scorched shell.

David Cameron and George Osborne have seen first-hand the destruction wrought by a fire on Eastbourne Pier Credit: John Ryall

"I know that the loss of one of Eastbourne's most prominent and well-loved landmarks will have hit the town hard and I am determined to do all I can to help local businesses recover."

– David Cameron
Load more updates