Live updates

Man shows indecent images to teens at bus stop

Credit: Sussex Police

A man who showed indecent images to two teenage girls at a bus stop in Eastbourne is being sought by police.

The most recent occurrence was around 6.15pm on Monday 22nd May at bus stop H in Terminus Road.

He intentionally showed two images on his phone to the girls, one of whom, a 17-year-old, he had approached in the same manner on two previous occasions. She believes at least one of the photos was of the man himself.

Police are trying to establish who the man is and if anyone else has been a victim of his behaviour.

Anyone who knows the man, has been a victim themselves or who has any other information about him is asked to report online at https://sussex.police.uk/appealresponse or call 101 quoting serial 1334 of 22/05.

Retired nurse says more social care help is needed

An 82-year-old nurse from Eastbourne says she's glad that social care has become the main issue this week.

Shirley McCall questioned politicians on Thursday at the ITV Party Leaders' debate.

She relies on carers to help her get dressed and to make her meals. But she says so many people - are not given the help they need.

Sarah Saunders' report includes footage of the ITV Party Leaders' debate, including the leader of Ukip, Paul Nuttall; the co-leader of the Green Party, Caroline Lucas; and the leader of the Liberal Democrats, Tim Farron. Along with a speech from the prime minister, Theresa May and leader of the Labour Party, Jeremy Corbyn.

Advertisement

Johanna Konta sets her sights on being number 1

After winning the Miami Open, tennis star Johanna Konta, has her sights set on becoming the world number one.

Victory earned Konta the biggest prize of her career, almost £950,000.

And the 25-year-old whose family home is in East Sussex, is also supporting investment in the sport in Eastbourne.

Sarah Saunders sends this report.

Advertisement

Concern growing for 14 year old, missing in Sussex

Devente Myers is 14 Credit: Sussex Police

Police are increasingly concerned for the welfare of a 14-year-old boy who's been missing since Friday in Sussex

Devente Mayers is from London and was last seen in Eastbourne, but had been staying at a relative's address in Seaford.

He is believed to have wandered off while with friends.

Devente is described as black, 5'8", Slim and with a short black afro hairstyle.

He was wearing a black Adidas tracksuit top with red beading, blue jeans and black trainers.

Business leaders to protest over Southern rail row

Industrial action to take place again this week

Business leaders in the Sussex town of Eastbourne are expected to hold a protest today over the disruption being caused to the area's transport network by the ongoing dispute between Southern Railways and the unions over changes to the role of train guards.

Members of the Eastbourne Chamber of Commerce and the south coast chambers claim that problems on Southern Railways have cost the local economy more than three hundred million pounds.

The business leaders say the rail operator, the RMT and ASLEF unions, and the Transport minister all bear responsibility for the continuing row.

On Friday rail passengers protested against the ongoing dispute

Man rescued after plunging into sea from Eastbourne pier

A man is lucky to be alive after being rescued from the English Channel, after he jumped off Eastbourne pier.

RNLI volunteers scrambled to help rescue the 27-year-old who went into cold water shock after jumping from the Grade II listed structure on Saturday night.

Witnesses saw the man struggle in the cold sea conditions, before he clambered up the pier supports screaming for help.

Several 999 calls were made to the Coastguard before the Eastbourne RNLI inshore lifeboat launched.

Credit: RNLI

An RNLI spokesman said its crew arrived quickly, hoisted the man on board its lifeboat and transferred him to the beach where police and ambulance crews were waiting.

Life sentence for robbers for a series of violent raids

Two men have been jailed for life for a series of violent armed robberies including in Kent, Essex and Sussex.

Nicholas Wordsworth and Mustafa Murteza, both from London, carried out seven attacks on cash-in transit vans.

Nicholas Wordsworth jailed for life Credit: Metropolitan Police

In February last year they threatened a security guard with a sawn-off shot-gun and made off with a cash box outside the NatWest bank in Eastbourne.

Mustafa Murteza jailed for life Credit: Metropolitan Police
Shotgun used in armed raid Credit: Essex Police

These sentences mean that two extremely violent and dangerous criminals are now behind bars for a considerable time. These were well-planned, violent armed robberies during which both Wordsworth and Murteza terrorised security guards, as well as members of the public going about their daily business, and left them fearing for their lives. In my view, it was only through luck and good fortune that nobody was seriously injured or worse. This has been a lengthy and complex investigation spanning the south-east of England. It was only through the meticulous work of officers from the Flying Squad supported by colleagues from the Met's Specialist Firearms Command, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire, Essex, Kent, TVP and Sussex police forces which ensured these individuals are no longer free to continue committing these violent offences.

– Detective Inspector Mark Bedford
Load more updates