Sussex Police have arrested a man in connection with a rape in Eastbourne.
A 26-year-old man, who is from Eastbourne and known to the victim, has been arrested on suspicion of rape of a 17-year-old girl in Macmillan Drive playground on Wednesday, December 9.
He has been bailed until February 10 while investigations continue.
He's been responsible for some of the most iconic set designs in theatre, now John Napier has brought his new exhibition to Sussex.Read the full story ›
Sorry, this content isn't available on your device.
Luke Gardner from Eastbourne has compiled a moving video. He is worried about Eastbourne Pier's future, and wants the new owner to preserve treasured memories.
Parts of the UK have seen a flurry of snow as Britain prepares for a "bitterly cold" weekend.
Snow started to fall as far south as Eastbourne in East Sussex, with Beachy Head seeing a light dusting this morning. Parts of Kent, including Tunbridge Wells, and Essex have also seen snowfall.
Snow is largely unexpected for tonight, but there is an ice risk for Sunday morning as a result of the night's frosty conditions. The Met Office said Sunday will be another cold but sunny day and added that there will be further showers on the coastal areas throughout the day.
"It will still be cold tomorrow but perhaps not as cold as it feels today because the winds will be just that little bit lighter."
"There will be a return of milder air from the Atlantic next week, which will cut off this weekend's Arctic chill but will bring showers across the country."
A Brighton man has been fined almost £3,000 after admitting beating a seagull to death with a broom handle.Read the full story ›
Football clubs urged to put nets away after a fox caught in a net in Eastbourne almost diesRead the full story ›
Wildlife rescue workers are calling for sports clubs to put away their netting when not in use, after another callout to rescue an animal caught in a football net in Eastbourne. The animal was twisting itself around trying to get free - instead, only further entangling its neck.
The team from the East Sussex Wildlife Rescue & Ambulance Service (WRAS) responded to an emergency call at 8am on Sunday morning by a passer-by with their son.
“When we arrived on site, we could see the fox straight away, and it was well and truly entangled. Luckily it was not able to move far, as it was easier than I was expecting to secure it”
“I was able to cover the fox’s head and cut the netting to stop it pulling on the fox’s neck. At one point the fox appeared to stop breathing but luckily I was able to respond quickly enough and encourage it to breathe again.”
“It was clear the fox had been caught for some time. This is one lucky fox not to have been attacked by a passing dog.”
“We would advise people to cable tie off the ground netting or to even remove the netting completely when not in use. Even by raising netting just 12 inches off the ground is enough to stop most casualties except deer. If deer regularly visit sports fields we would advise netting is removed completely when not in use”
In this case the rescued fox is responding well to emergency treatment at the WRAS’s Casualty Centre at Whitesmith.
The WRAS team say they are called to deal with around a dozen wildlife casualties a year. The animals have been caught in netting on sports fields, such as cricket tunnels, football goals and discarded netting left on the sides of sports fields. Hedgehogs, foxes, badgers and deer are some of the animals that have become entangled.
A young hedgehog has been rescued after being found with a plastic beer can ring stuck round its body.
He was spotted by a dog walker in Eastbourne's Hampden Park. Wildlife experts managed to remove the plastic ring and the hedgehog is now being cared for at a rescue centre.
"The hedgehog was young, had flies buzzing round him, and had a plastic beer can ring tightly round its body digging into the skin. You could smell the infection so clearly the ring had been stuck there for quite a while. We were able to give emergency medication out on site with veterinary authorisation, and cut the ring off the hedgehog whilst trying to keep the flies away".
Heart disease and strokes are two of the most common health conditions that can cause serious problems and even death. Now, a patient at Eastbourne District General Hospital has become the first in the country to have the next generation of internal defibrillator fitted. The device uses the latest technology to kick start the heart and correct irregular heart beats. This report by Tom Savvides contains footage obtained in surgery. It includes interviews with patient Marco Bushnell and Dr Nikhil Patel.
More than a year after it was engulfed in flames, it seems Eastbourne Pier has a new future - with a new owner. Andy Dickenson reports.