One lane is closed due to accident on A27 Eastbound between A259 Havant Road (Emsworth Junction) and A286 Stockbridge Road (Stockbridge Roundabout).
A 43-year-old man from Hastings in Sussex who was questioned by police over two attempted child abductions has been released on bail until February while police make further inquiries.
Hampshire Police are calling on motorists from Sussex to come forward with any information about two attempted child abductions in Havant on 18th and 19th December. The first incident was in Leigh Park, the second in Emsworth.
– Detective Inspector Jeff Huggett, Waterlooville CID.
A priority is identifying and talking with two motorists who we believe are vital witnesses to the second attempted abduction in Emsworth.
It is possible these motorists were commuters travelling into or out of Sussex, particularly Chichester, on Wednesday morning.
The 11-year-old victim told police that drivers sounded their horns at him when he ran into traffic to get away from his attempted abductor. If you were driving a gold-coloured Mini-style car or similar model, or a blue Vauxhall, in Southleigh Road in Emsworth at around 8.30am on 19th December 2012, please contact police."
So far, police have received 45 calls from the public and spoken with 40 motorists. In a statement, Hampshire Police said the arrest and bailing of one man was one of many leads being followed. They said there were other important witnesses they hoped to speak to.
– Detective Inspector Jeff Huggett
A team of officers and staff continue to work extra shifts this weekend to gather and analyse information about the circumstances of both attempted abductions and the identity of whoever was responsible. We would like to thank colleagues in Sussex Police for their assistance.
I would like to express my thanks to both children and their families after such an upsetting experience. Police are grateful to them and the parents for their time, co-operation and composure during a series of events that have disrupted their lives so close to Christmas."
A man has been arrested by Hampshire Police investigating two attempted abductions in Havant. A 43-year-old man from Hastings was arrested on 21st December.
The first attempt was in Leigh Park at 1.50pm on 18th December. A 12-year-old girl was grabbed between Purbrook Way and Middle Park Way.
In a similar incident at about 8.30am on 19th December, a man attempted to grab an 11-year-old boy in Southleigh Road, Emsworth. The boy was about to cross the road when a man left a van and grabbed the boy’s wrist. The boy shouted, screamed and pinched him. The man let go and the boy ran away.
– Detective Inspector Jeff Huggett, senior investigating officer
This investigation remains a priority for Hampshire Constabulary with officers and staff working extra shifts over the weekend to pursue lines of enquiry swiftly.
This arrest in Sussex is one of several leads we are following at this time. No one has been charged or convicted. Therefore, police must keep an open mind and ask the public not to reach hasty conclusions while we are gathering and analysing information. I would like to thank our colleagues in Sussex Police for their assistance, and appeal again for members of the public to come forward with any information."
Police have received no other reports of attempted abductions in Havant and Waterlooville since Wednesday morning. They are not linking this investigation to any other suspicious incidents elsewhere.
– Detective Inspector Jeff Huggett
Further enquiries identified two specific motorists who could be important witnesses to the second attempted abduction in Southleigh Road in Emsworth. The 11-year-old victim provided more details about two vehicles whose motorists sounded their horns at him when he ran into traffic away from his attempted abductor. We are renewing a direct appeal for the drivers of a gold-coloured Mini-style car or similar model, and a blue Vauxhall, to speak with the police about what they saw. The boy remembers the descriptions of these cars in Southleigh Road at around 8.30am on Wednesday, 19th December."
Detectives are appealing for two people who may have witnessed two attempted abductions in Havant in Hampshire to come forward. A man was seen approaching children on two separate occasions earlier this week.
The first incident happened in Leigh Park at 1.50pm on Tuesday 18th December - a 12-year-old girl was grabbed from behind in 'yellow brick road' which runs between Purbrook Way and Middle Park Way.
The second was at around 8.30am on Wednesday 19th December - a man tried to grab an 11-year-old boy in Southfield Road in Emsworth. Police say two motorists may have witnessed the incident.
“We are in regular contact with both children and their families to offer reassurance and support while establishing as many details as possible about the circumstances.
“Despite their distressing experiences of this week, both children have shown courage and composure in helping the police to develop new leads.
“The 11-year-old boy has been able to provide more details about two vehicles whose motorists sounded their horns at him when he ran into traffic away from his attempted abductor in Southleigh Road.
– Detective Inspector Jeff Huggett, Waterlooville CID, Hampshire Police
“We are appealing directly for the drivers of a gold-coloured Mini-style car or similar model, and a blue Vauxhall, to come forward and speak with the police about what they saw. The boy remembers the descriptions of these cars in Southleigh Road at around 8.30am on Wednesday, December 19.”
The man is described as:
Aged in his early 20s
5 ft 3 ins to 5 ft 6 ins tall
Medium to stocky build
Short cropped dark hair
A slightly upturned nose
He was wearing:
- Dark grey jeans and a dark grey hooded top.
Witnesses or anyone else with information are asked to contact Waterlooville police station by phoning 101. Mini-com users can phone 01962 875000. Information can be given anonymously by phoning the independent Crimestoppers charity on 0800 555 111.
Our cameraman Mark Emery has been out in Hampshire filming the flooding. These are a selection of the shots he got before his loyal camera packed up in the rain.
Don't miss the one halfway through where he turns to avoid a soaking by a van, only to get drenched by one just after. This is what they go through to bring us the best possible shots.
A male fox cub was rescued after becoming stuck between two brick-built garages in Emsworth. Hampshire Fire & Rescue's animal rescue team were called out after the cub became stuck in the cavity 12 inches below the concrete base and three metres in.
Animal rescuer Buster Brown, then used a drill, hammer and chisel to remove the bricks from inside the garage wall to reach it. He said:
"This process took nearly two hours as I had to remove the bricks carefully to ensure I didn't injure the animal."
The fox was later released unharmed.