A woman from Strood underwent emergency surgery after being bitten by a false widow spider. Alison Blackburn's foot became so swollen she had to go to hospital. This report by Tom Savvides also includes an interview with Paul Hetherington from the conservation charity Buglife.
A woman from Kent who was bitten by a false widow spider as she slept has had emergency surgery to save her foot. Alison Blackburn from Strood says she's now too scared to return to her bedrooom. Surgeons had to operate on her foot to remove the venom.
They're the misunderstood arachnid that's being battered by bad press. Spiders, and especially the "false widow", have been accused of biting people across the south-east in recent weeks, because of a supposed upsurge in numbers caused by global warming.
But experts say it's not the case; Iain McBride reports, talking to 7 year old Lorna Baker-Brown, her mother Karen Brown, and spider expert Greg Hitchcock from the Kent Wildlife Trust.