Live updates

Flytipping will not be tolerated

Following the case where a woman was fined for dumping 40 bags of rubbish, Thanet Council said it would not tolerate fly-tipping.

Cllr Michelle Fenner, Cabinet Member for business, Corporate and Regulatory Services said: “We will take action against those who do so.

"Our enforcement officers work hard to catch those who litter our towns and villages, so it is encouraging to see outcomes like this.

“We should take pride in our environment, and it is sad that people who carry out such offences do so at the risk of spoiling others.

"If anyone sees any fly-tipping take place, I urge them to contact the council immediately.”

Fine for dumping forty bags of rubbish

A woman has been fined for dumping 40 bags of rubbish in Margate.

Aimee Marsh, 29, of Shakespeare Road, admitted leaving the black and blue rubbish sacks on Shakespeare Road when she appeared before appeared before Canterbury Magistrates’ Court.

She found herself in court after Thanet District Council Enforcement Officers, who monitor the area on a regular basis, found the rubbish sacks and tracked it to Miss Marsh’s property.

In Court Miss Marsh admitted she had not put her rubbish out for weeks and had just dumped it there.

She was fined £250 with clean-up costs of £467.60. She was also ordered to pay £100 costs with a £25 victim surcharge. The total payable is £842.60.

Advertisement

Business fined after workers exposed to asbestos

A Wokingham business has been fined for safety failings after two subcontractors were unwittingly exposed to asbestos fibres at Reading University.

Gardner Mechanical Services Ltd had been contracted to undertake a mechanical services upgrade **in a room at the university. They subcontracted the project to a Newbury-based company, who in turn subcontracted two self-employed men, Andrew Lloyd and Steve Taylor, to do the work.

Reading Magistrates court heard the two men drilled through a sprayed asbestos ceiling coating. They had not been made aware that asbestos was in the room and thought all asbestos material had been removed by specialist contractors prior to their work starting.

Gardner Mechanical Services Ltd, of Grovelands Avenue Workshops, Winnersh, Wokingham, pleaded guilty and was fined a total of £28,000 and ordered to pay £22,631 in costs.

After the hearing HSE inspector Adam Wycherley said: “Gardner Mechanical Services had a clear duty of care to relay important information to its subcontractors in order to prevent their exposure to asbestos, but this simply did not happen.

“As a result of poor planning on the part of GMS, two men were exposed to high levels of asbestos fibres, leaving them at risk of contracting serious diseases such as lung cancer, mesothelioma and asbestosis of the lungs.”

First fine issued in Reading after woman's dog fouled park

Reading issued its first ever fine for dog mess this week when an owner failed to clean up after her pet at a park popular with local children.

The unsuspecting dog owner - who had already been warned twice and handed leaflets about the need for her to clean up after her dog chose to ignore the advice as she took her pet for a walk around Kensington Road park.

She was promptly hit with a fixed penalty notice of £75 when one of the Council's dog wardens witnessed her failing to clean up after her dog once again.

Construction company fined over near-death fall

The collapsed floor planks and steel beam that caused Mr Akinola's injuries Credit: Health & Safety Executive

A Surrey construction company has been ordered to pay a hundred and sixty thousand pounds in fines and costs after a worker narrowly escaped death when he was caught in a collapse of nine tonnes of steel and concrete.

Bola Akinola fell more than four metres when steelwork supporting concrete floor planks failed, causing the material to collapse, at a site in Westerham, Kent on 9 May 2009.

Mr Akinola, from Littlehampton, suffered life-changing injuries including multiple fractures to his pelvis, leg and arm.

The incident was investigated by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), which prosecuted Esher-based Landmark Groundworks Ltd for serious safety breaches.

Advertisement