Homes in Canterbury are being demolished after a fire gutted parts of a block of flats in the city.
Around 40 families were forced to leave their homes when the blaze broke out yesterday afternoon.
Some of the residents spent the night in temporary accomodation and several have lost their homes.
Nashreen Issa has more
Firefighters have made good progress with the fire at a block of flats in Canterbury.
The operation has now been scaled down from ten engines to four.
Crews were called at 14.28 yesterday afternoon to a fire in the utility room of a top floor flat in Creine Mill Lane in North Canterbury.
The front of the building has collapsed.
Canterbury Council has opened a rest centre at Age Concern in Castle Row for anyone who has been displaced following today's fire at the Tannery. All residents are accounted for.
“Crews have worked very hard to get this fire under control in very challenging conditions - dealing with a four storey building that was well alight. The building is a timber framed construction and so the fire was able to spread very quickly among the frame voids. This meant it was a difficult fire to fight in the early stages. At its height we had ten engines in attendance. The fire broke through the roof and we used two height vehicles to get water directly at fourth floor level. We also put some new equipment to very good use which stopped the fire spreading through roof voids and between floors. Firefighters used Fog Spikes to punch holes into the roof and through walls in order to insert a fine water spray that created a fire break and stop further spread.”
Fire crews in Kent are fighting a fire in Creine Mill Lane North Canterbury.
They were called at 14.28 to a fire in the utility room of a top floor flat.
Crews have been using four breathing apparatus, three main jets, two hose reel jets and a 135 ladder. Four fogspikes, which pump a fine spray into the building, are being used to create firebreaks to help prevent the lateral spread of the fire.
Ten pumps are currently at the incident. All residents are accounted for. The area is being evacuated.
Last night around 25 KFRS firefighters dealt with five fires across 20 hectares of cut grass and reed in Lydd ranges.
Crews sectorised the multiple seats of fire that included an area of 10 hectares of reed banks alight, and an area of 300 metres square of grass alight.
Firefighters used equipment a 4x4 vehicle with a fogging unit that fires a super fine mist that can suppress fires using minimal water, and which can penetrate deeply into the base of the undergrowth. They also used flexi back packs with water hose sprays and beaters to contain the fires. They did a further inspection at the next morning to search for any remaining hotspots, amp them down.
The area is mainly grass and gorse which over many years has been compacted. This means a fire can be very deep seated and can spread, especially during periods of prolonged hot, dry weather when there has been little rain to saturate the undergrowth.
Fire crews are issuing a warning not to leave candles unattended following a fire at a house in Oxfordshire.
At 9:48pm on Thursday 2 July, Thames Valley Fire Control received reports of a living room on fire at Thorpe Road in Wardington.
Fire crews were on scene within minutes, and firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the building. Crews used a thermal imaging camera to locate, and then a high pressure hosereel to extinguish the fire, which involved the carpet and a sofa in the ground floor living room.
A specialist fan was then used to drive the remaining smoke from the property to help minimise the damage which this can cause.
The fire which was started by an unattended candle was confined to the living room due to the door being closed, this prevented it spreading to the rest of the house which could have trapped the occupants upstairs.
“Fortunately no one was hurt at this incident, and the family had working smoke alarms. Two lessons to be learned from this incident are: Never leave candles unattended and always protect your escape route by keeping it clear and shutting doors at night.”
Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to a fire in a kitchen in Bush Road, Cuxton.
On arrival firefighters found the fire was out, however the occupant of the property, a pregnant woman in her 20s, was suffering from the effects of breathing in smoke.
She was given oxygen by the crews at the scene. Her care was then handed to paramedics, who transported her to hospital.
Firefighters used a ventilation fan to clear the smoke logged property.
A prompt emergency call saved two houses in Caversfield from serious fire damage.
At 4:42pm yesterday Oxfordshire County Council Fire and Rescue Service were called to reports of a large garden shed on fire in Turnpike Road, Caversfield, near Bicester.
Within minutes a crew from Bicester arrived to find a severe fire which was spreading to the rear of two domestic properties. Additional fire engines were immediately requested and Firefighters tackled the fire using two water jets, a high pressure hose reel and thermal imaging cameras.
Fire engines from Bicester, Kidlington, Banbury and Buckingham attended the fire, which is believed to have been caused by an electrical fault. The occupants of all the houses evacuated safely and there were no injuries.
“Thankfully the fire was discovered very quickly and the occupier immediately dialed 999. Fires of this nature grow rapidly and the prompt actions of both the caller and firefighters ensured the damage to both houses was only external. A delay of even a few minutes would likely have resulted in the fire spreading inside both properties.”
28c3 mobile to Church Road Fleet . A church 100% involved in fire . 5 pumps & ALP attending . More to follow
A week after a devastating fire brought a town centre to a standstill, traders say they're still suffering the effects. The Works bookshop in Maidstone was destroyed by the blaze in the early hours last Monday morning. It's believed to have caused several million pounds of damage. And with one of the main streets still closed, retailers say they're suffering a loss of trade. Tom Savvides talks to shop manager Michael Wright and building surveyor David Harrison.
Police have arrested a 21-year-old man in connection with a fire that destroyed a bookshop in Maidstone on Monday.
The fire started just after 2am in Week Street and quickly spread to adjoining properties.
The man is from the Maidstone area and is being held in custody.
Meanwhile the police are continuing to work to establish any potential links with a series of car fires in the Buckland Road and Somerfield Road area earlier the same morning.