Live updates

Reaction to large fire at the Randolph Hotel in Oxford

Advertisement

Crews tackle fire in Pirbright

A spokesman for Surrey Fire and Rescue Service said:

“We were called to a fire in Pirbright at 12:07 and have sent a number of fire engines, specialist vehicles and firefighters to the scene, crews from Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service are also providing us with assistance. The fire covers around four hectares of trees and undergrowth.”

Crews tackle fire in Pirbright Credit: FireSnapper999
Crews tackle fire in Pirbright Credit: FireSnapper999

Hotel guests moved after fire breaks out

More than 50 firefighters have been tackling a fire at a hotel in Chichester through the early hours of this morning.

West Sussex Fire & Rescue Service was called to Chapel Street in Chichester at 01.14 this morning after a fire was reported at the rear of the Belle Isle restaurant. Thankfully, all the hotel's guests were safely moved and relocated to the Travelodge in Fontwell, near Arundel.

The first fire crew arrived within 4 minutes of the 999 call and found the blaze had spread externally up the three storey building.

The blaze was extinguished at around 4.00am but one crew still remains at the scene carrying out a watching brief.

Unfortunately, one firefighter sustained an injury from a falling roof tile. He was taken to hospital and x-rayed but his injuries are thought to be minor.

Fire Investigation Officers are currently at the scene working alongside the Police to establish the cause of the fire. Early indications are that it may have started in a rear storage/utility area of the restaurant. Chapel Street, which was closed during the firefighting operation, has now reopened.

"The attending firefighters did an excellent job. This was a protracted incident and crews had to fight the fire from a number of sectors to successfully surround and extinguish it, including a service ventilation shaft with difficult access. I would also like to thank the team at the Dolphin & Anchor in Chichester who helped to look after the evacuated hotel guests until they could be taken on to their replacement hotel."

– Group Manager Gary Locker

Crews tackle forest fire in East Sussex

Firefighters on the scene at Ashdown Forest Credit: Eddie Howland

An investigation is underway into a large gorse fire which broke out at Ashdown Forest in East Sussex.

More than thirty firefighters were called to the scene near the Box car park yesterday afternoon. The operation has now been scaled back.

Firefighters at the scene at Ashdown Forest Credit: Eddie Howland

Initial reports said an area of around 100 metres by 150 metres was alight.

One fire engine and a Land Rover from Crowborough; one fire engine, the water carrier and dual purpose truck from Uckfield; Land Rovers from Heathfield, The Ridge in Hastings and from East Grinstead, and fire engines from Forest Row, Hailsham and Wadhurst.

There are no reports of injuries.

Firefighters on the scene at Ashdown Forest Credit: Eddie Howland

Tumble dryer causes fire in pub

Oxfordshire County Council Fire and Rescue Service were called to a fire at a public house in Ramsden near Witney at 10.07 am this morning.

Four fire engines attended the fire and on arrival crews were faced with smoke issuing from the roof of the grade 2 listed building. Fire crews wearing breathing apparatus entered the building with a hose reel to tackle the fire.

The crews discovered that the fire involved a tumble dryer in a first floor room which had caused heavy smoke logging throughout the property. The crews quickly extinguished the fire and prevented it from spreading to the remainder of the premises.

"The landlord controlled the initial development of the fire, however it quickly became apparent that the fire could not be extinguished so the building was evacuated and the fire service called. The swift attendance and subsequent fire fighting actions of the fire service led to the damage being confined to the 1st floor of the public house.”

– Incident Commander, Station Manager Guy Dunkley

Oxfordshire County Council Fire and Rescue Service advise that if you discover a fire within your property the best course of action is to get out, stay out and call the fire service out.

Advertisement

Fire crews tackle thatched cottage blaze

Nine fire engines were called to a large fire at a thatched cottage in Great Shefford in Berkshire last night.

Crews from Berkshire, Oxfordshire and Wiltshire were called to the blaze in the roof of a cottage in Wantage Road at 6:17pm yesterday evening.

The cause of the blaze is still being investigated.

Woman dies in house fire in Andover

A woman has died in a house fire in Andover.

Fire crews were mobilised to Pen Close at 06:15 this morning after reports of a fire.

Crews were on scene quickly and gained access to the property. They worked hard to tackle the fire wearing four sets of breathing apparatus. They used two jets and two hose reels to extinguish the fire which had started in the bedroom.

Sadly, one elderly female died at the scene.

The cause of the fire is unknown at this stage. A joint investigation with Hampshire Constabulary will commence today to determine what happened.

Smoke alarms can give you those precious few minutes of warning which could help you and your family to get out safely. For advice on fitting and maintaining smoke alarms visit www.hantsfire.gov.uk .

Community rallies round to help family, left homeless after Christmas fire

The roof was destroyed - a defectiove light bulb has been blamed Credit: Eddie Mitchell

A fire, just half an hour before Christmas Day, left a family homeless. The blaze, at Uckfield in East Sussex, has been blamed on an overheated lightbulb.

The fire is believed to have started in the loft of the semi-detached house. The family have returned to the property to salvage Christmas presents.

The local community is rallying round to the help the family today. A local councillor said an appeal had been started.

Load more updates