A man's recovering from burns tonight after an explosion at a block of flats in Ashford. It happened just before four o'clock this afternoon on Oak Tree Road.
David Johns reports, speaking to resident Pete Collins, eyewitness Tony Hitchin and Rupert Roberts from Kent Fire & Rescue Service.
The family who miraculously escaped a gas explosion that destroyed their home, and everything in it, have told ITV Meridian they can't wait to get back home - NEXT Christmas.
One minute, Jay Sabanal and his daughter Bella were asleep in their home in Southampton - the next, they were buried under rubble.
Yet, despite the trauma of that terrible morning, the family say the property - in Howards Grove in Shirley - IS still their home and when it's re-built they want to move back. They've been speaking to our reporter Andrew Pate.
Parents are being asked to collect their children from a Hampshire school and college after a suspected gas leak. The buildings affected are at Fair Oak Junior School and Wyvern College.
The control room of Hampshire Fire & Rescue Service has reported receiving more than twenty calls today about a strong smell of gas in the air.
In a statement they said: 'The unpleasant odour is understood to emanate from a leak in a factory in Rouen in northern France.
'The Health Protection Agency has stressed the gas is non-toxic and presents no threat to the public. The chemical released - mercaptan - is an organic compound added to natural gas, lubricants and paints. The smell is caused by the sulphur in the gas but it is completely harmless.'
The initial alert to the Hampshire control room came from their counterparts in West Sussex. The calls from the public came from as far apart as far north in Hampshire as Basingstoke and Andover, and as far west as Ringwood.
Fracking will be allowed to resume in the UK but under new controls, the Government has announced.
Energy Secretary Ed Davey said fracking will resume under strict regulatory measures "is likely to develop slowly". He said: "Fracking must be safe and the public must be reassured it is safe".
He added that although shale gas exploration remains in its early stages, it offers a promising new energy resource that could help the move towards a low carbon economy and away from our reliance on gas from abroad.
Shale gas can be found through seismic surveys in rock below the ground.
But the process has attracted strong opposition in the UK as campaigners say the drilling causes earthquakes and the chemicals that are used can pollute the water supply.
A Kent double glazing company has been fined for safety failiures after building a conservatory over a gas flue.
Family firm Supaglazing, of Strood, was prosecuted by the Health and Safety Executive for breaching gas safety regulations for the second time.
Dartford Magistrates Court was told that the firm’s workers built the conservatory over an existing flue for a boiler at a property on Beavor Road, Allington, Maidstone, so there was no escape route for gases and other combustion products.
A woman who was pregnant and a child were living in the home.
The incident came to light after an engineer visited the house to give an estimate for relocating the flue.
The firm, with outlets in Dartford and Sittingbourne, admitted breaching the gas safety regulations between 23 July and 2 October 2010. It was fined £14,000 and ordered to pay £2,826 in costs.
Neighbours described a house blown up by a gas explosion was like something out of World War Two. A man in his 90s was rescued from the house on Welch Road in Southsea. But remarkably he wasn't seriously injured. A gas cooker left overnight had caused the explosion. Sion Donovan reports.
A man in his 90s had a lucky escape when a gas blast destroyed his home. He was asleep when the explosion happened on Welch Road in Southsea early this morning. Neighbouring properties were evacuated. Sion Donovan has the story
Crew Manager David Higgins has spoken of his shock that a pensioner could survive a gas explosion which destroyed his home. A man in his 90s was pulled from the rubble after the blast at just before 4 this morning.
A gas distribution company has issued a stark warning after it emerged that an explosion that destroyed a house in Southsea was caused by the cooker being left on.
Following an investigation it has emerged that gas mains and services in the area are sound and have not contributed to the incident.
"We can also confirm the explosion was caused by the gas cooker being left on," said Chloe Boyce, a spokeswoman for Southern Gas Networks.
"We've isolated the gas supply and done further checks which show there are no gas readings at all in the area.
"This is a stark reminder to everyone to check gas appliances are fully turned off before they go to bed or leave their house. If anyone smells gas they should contact the National Gas Emergency Number on 0800 111 999.
"Our thoughts are with the gentleman who has been injured today."