Live updates

Advertisement

Independent Review tells Gatwick to 'quieten down'

An Independent Review has ordered that Gatwick Airport make dramatic steps to improve the lives of families living under the flightpath in Surrey, Sussex and Kent.

The review was commissioned by Gatwick Airport Chairman Sir Roy McNulty and follows a four month consultation to see if more could be done to lessen the impact of noise on local residents.

Gatwick Airport Credit: ITV Meridian

The review - focussing on airport arrivals - said:

  • Flight paths must be changed daily - so areas get 'noise breaks'
  • Planes MUST fly higher
  • The number of Flights circling in a holding pattern must be reduced
  • planes MUST be fitted with noise reducing technology
Gatwick Airport Credit: ITV Meridian

The review has proposed a time frame for the introduction of its recommendations and says many could be operational within 12 months.

It also suggests modifications for the Airbus A320 family to reduce the noise it produces during its approach phrase and there'll be a noise management board to oversee the issues of noise around the airport.

Gatwick Airport Chairman Sir Roy McNulty Credit: ITV Meridian

"As an airport we recognise our responsibility to do everything we can to reduce the noise impact on local people - in particular, those people who are most affected.

That is why we commissioned an independent review last summer looking at aircraft arrivals to see what more can be done. While the number of people significantly affected by noise at Gatwick is relatively low for an airport of its size, we want to improve further.

This report sets out 23 practical steps - from holding planes longer over the sea, to improved use of continuous descent approaches and increased dispersal of arrivals. There is no silver bullet that will ever eliminate the problem of aircraft noise but taken together I believe that these measures can make a real difference.

Airports have to demonstrate that impacts on their local communities have been fully taken into account, and we have been encouraged by and benefitted from the constructive engagement of local groups in this review."

– Gatwick Airport Chairman Sir Roy McNulty

Gatwick sets new record for passenger numbers

Credit: ITV news

Gatwick has set a new record for global passenger numbers. 2.7 million people travelled through the airport in December - up nearly 5 per cent. With more than 40-million passing through last year - it set a global record for a single runway airport. Bosses says the figure underlines the airport's case for expansion.

Gatwick CEO Stewart Wingate said: "2015 was a record-breaking year for Gatwick as the airport continued to break new ground. We served 40.3 million passengers - the most from any single runway anywhere in the world. A Government decision this year backing Gatwick expansion will mean that Britain finally solves its long standing problem of airport capacity in the South East. Our plan is legal, affordable, cleaner and quieter and will deliver for Britain."

It's the airport's 34th consecutive month of traffic growth. Long-haul routes performed particularly strongly - up 7.6% with North Atlantic routes driving this growth - up 4.7% on December 2014. Destinations contributing to this North Atlantic growth include Las Vegas, Los Angeles and Toronto. Strong growth was also seen from winter sun destinations including Goa, Jamaica, Dubai and Barbados

Advertisement

Gatwick security alert cost airport £1.2m

A 41 year-old man has been charged with possession of a dangerous article in an aerodrome Credit: Tim Unwin

A 41 year-old man has been remanded in custody in connection with a major security alert at Gatwick airport on Saturday.

Jerome Chauris, 41, from Vendome, France, has been charged with possession of a dangerous article in an aerodrome and possession of a blade in a public place.

The incident, which took place at around 9.30am on Saturday, sparked a major security alert and passengers were forced to evacuate the North Terminal for six hours.

Magistrates have heard that the alert cost the airport £1.2 million in lost travel and disruption.

Chauris will re-appear Lewes Crown Court 14 December.

Man in court over Gatwick security alert

The North Terminal had to be evacuated on Saturday Credit: Tim Unwin

A Frenchman accused of going into Gatwick Airport with an air rifle and a knife is due in court later.

41 year-old Jerome Chauris, 41, from Vendome, France, is charged with possession of a dangerous article in an aerodrome and possession of a blade in a public place.

The incident, which took place at around 9.30am on Saturday, sparked a major security alert and passengers were forced to evacuate the North Terminal for six hours.

Sussex Police said: "Jerome Chauris, 41, unemployed and of no fixed address, but from Vendome, France, has been charged with possessing a dangerous article (an air rifle weapon) in any part of an aerodrome (Aviation Security Act 1982) and possessing a knife blade/sharp pointed article (a lock knife) in a public place (Criminal Justice Act 1988)."

Frenchman charged over security alert at Gatwick

North Terminal was closed Credit: PA

A Frenchman has been charged with possession of an air rifle and a knife following a major security alert at Gatwick airport yesterday.

Massive disruption was caused at the North Terminal following the incident at 9.30 am when Sussex Police were alerted to the 'suspicious actions' of a 41-year-old man.

Jerome Chauris, from Vendome, is due to appear in court on Monday.

Passengers were delayed for several hours Credit: PA

Gatwick Airport 'working hard' to get passengers on their way

‘Now that our terminal has re-opened we are prioritising looking after passengers and ensuring they can get to the North Terminal. We know that large numbers of passengers have had significant disruption to their journeys today, and we are working hard with our airline partners to help get them on their way.

‘We have additional Gatwick staff on-hand to help, and we are trying to make people comfortable by moving them to hotels where we can make sure they have the latest information about their flights. It will take some time to get operations back to normal but we are doing everything we can.

‘We have put on special bus services to move people from the South Terminal, to the North Terminal, and our shuttle is now back in operation. It’s important that we manage the flow of people to ensure we can process them as efficiently as possible.

‘Our airlines are now looking at what capacity they have to accommodate people who missed flights earlier in the day. Passenger welfare is out absolute priority.’

– Gatwick Airport spokesperson
Load more updates