Live updates

Court orders drug dealer to hand over £3,700

Kent Police has used the Proceeds of Crime Act to obtain a court order which requires a man to forfeit £3,777.50.

Ravinder Deol, 31, was arrested in Knockhall Road, Greenhithe on 1 March 2014. In September, having pleaded guilty to a charge of possessing drugs with intent to supply, he received a two year suspended sentence and a 12 month supervision order.

On 3 February 2015 a confiscation hearing was heard at Maidstone Crown Court under the Proceeds of Crime Act. Deol was ordered to repay £3,777.50 – a sum agreed based on his available assets. Failure to pay the money within three months will result in a further three months being added to his sentence.

Deol was arrested after officers had seen him speaking to another man in a suspicious manner. It was believed the men may have been buying and selling drugs.

A search was carried out on Deol’s silver Ford Focus at the scene, and 12 wraps of cocaine were found just above the brake pedal. The wraps were found in a sock which had been wedged into the dash, but part of the sock was dangling loose.

Officers also found £85 and a mobile phone in the vehicle. Deol has a further £515 in cash in his wallet, and an iPhone.

Further searches at Deol’s house in Alma Road, Sheerness, resulted in officers finding another sock containing 33 more wraps of cocaine, along with £1,490 in cash bound with an elastic band. A chest of drawers contained £720 cash.

In total Kent Police had seized £2,810 in cash and 22.69g of cocaine under the Proceeds of Crime Act.

Checks on Deol’s mobile phone showed various text messages consistent with the supplying of controlled drugs.

"Kent Police will continue to use the Proceeds of Crime Act to claim money back from criminals. Drug addiction causes so much misery to addicts and their families, it is only right that, as well as receiving a suitable sentence, we pursue the profits dealers have made and return that money to the public purse."

– Financial investigator Sam Holpin from the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate

Pat Lamb died from immersion, inquest hears

Pat Lamb died from immersion, inquest hears Credit: Kent Police

A man from Kent who disappeared after a night out in Maidstone died from immersion, an inquest has heard.

Pat Lamb, who was 28, was last seen heading down towards the river Medway in December.

His body was found in the water at Cuxton one month later. The inquest has been adjourned until April.


"We'll keep searching" say friends and family of missing clubber

The family and friends of a missing Kent man have spent the day giving out leaflets to the public, as they try to find out what happened to him. Twenty eight year old Patrick Lamb disappeared a week ago after he left a bar in Maidstone. His bank account hasn't been touched. Yesterday police divers searched the river Medway but found nothing. Andrea Thomas has the latest. She spoke to Patrick's sister Zoe, his girlfriend Natasha Morgan and Chief Inspector Susie Harper from Kent Police.

15-year-old among dozens arrested for drink-driving

A 15-year-old boy from Kent is among 32 people who have been arrested for drink-driving offences as police crack down over the Christmas period.

Police say 20 have already been charged Credit: Press Association

The teenager, from Greenhithe, was detained at 4.10am on December 7 as part of a national campaign by police forces throughout December highlighting the dangers of drink-driving and targeting those suspected of breaking the law.

He has been charged with theft, driving while under the influence of alcohol, driving without insurance and driving without a licence. He has been bailed to appear at Chatham Youth Court on January 6, Kent Police said.

The boy is one of 20 people to have already been charged and handed a court date, a force spokesman said.

Kent Police said they arrested 29 men and three women for alcohol-related driving offences.


Colin Ash-Smith's mother visited incident room, jury told

The jury heard how Colin Ash-Smith's mother Diane Ash-Smith was invited to visit the incident room because she was a local councillor.

Fellow councillors on the visit noticed that she was "probing more deeply" than her colleagues, said the prosecutor.

The focus of her interest, he told the jury, lay in how the police might identify or eliminate vehicles using their computer system.

Colin Ash-Smith's alibi was "false" say prosecution

The morning after Claire Tiltman's murder Colin Ash-Smith phoned the incident room. He told police that at "about 6.30pm" he was driving when he saw a male on the pedestrian crossing close to the murder scene.

Six days later, in a witness statement, he changed the time to "5.45pm".

"This covered the time of the killing, which 6.30pm could not," said Brian Altman, QC, prosecuting.

In the statement he also - for the first time - said his mother was in the car with him.

"And critically," Mr Altman told the jury, "he said he was home by 6pm, providing him with an alibi for the time of the killing, which we say is false."

Man goes on trial accused of murdering a teenager in Kent 21 years ago

A jury in the trial of a former milkman - accused of murdering a teenager 21 years ago - has heard how he brutally attacked two other women. Claire Tiltman was stabbed multiple times in an alleyway near her home in Greenhithe in 1993 - she had just turned 16 years old. Colin Ash Smith has always denied murdering Claire, but the prosecution allege the 45 year old confessed to the crime to an inmate while in prison. From London John Ryall reports.

Load more updates