Detectives in Surrey are appealing for the public's help following a serious assault on a man in Guildford. Surrey Police received a report of a man being stabbed at an address in Cranley Road. The victim, in his 20s, was taken by ambulance to St George's Hospital in Tooting where he remains in a serious but stable condition. His injuries are said to be life threatening.
The attacker is described as a black man who was wearing dark clothing and basketball trainers. It is believed that he is over 6ft tall. House-to-house enquiries are being carried out in the local area.
Detective Chief Inspector Mark Preston, from the Surrey and Sussex Major Crime Team, said: "It is vital we catch whoever was responsible as soon as possible and I am appealing for anyone who was in the area yesterday evening between 6pm and 9pm to come forward. Although the investigation is still in the early stages it is believed to be an isolated incident. The local Safer Neighbourhood Team will be working with local residents and providing reassurance patrols whilst there will be an increased police presence in the area."
Anyone who can assist detectives with their investigation is asked to contact Surrey Police on 101 quoting reference 45140086493. The independent charity Crimestoppers can be contacted anonymously on 0800 555 111.
A service of commemoration is being held today to mark the 40th anniversary of the Guildford pub bombings.
Five people were killed and scores more injured when the IRA detonated bombs at two pubs in the town centre on 5 October 1974.
The Horse and Groom pub in the Surrey town was targeted first, before a second bomb exploded in the nearby Seven Stars.
A plaque in Quakers' Acre names the four soldiers and a civilian who died.
They were Paul Craig, Guardsmen William Forsyth and John Hunter of the Scots Guards, and Privates Ann Hamilton and Caroline Slater of the Women's Royal Army Corps.
David Elms, the mayor of Guildford, will be taking part in the commemoration, which is due to be held at 16:00 in Quakers' Acre.
It was a crime which, even at the height of the IRA troubles. stunned the nation. Four soldiers and a civilian were killed when a bomb exploded at a pub popular with soldiers. Sixty-five others were injured at the Horse and Groom in North Street.
It was packed with troops from nearby Pirbright Barracks enjoying a Saturday night out. A second bomb at another pub, the Seven Stars in Swan Lane, also exploded. Fortunately it had been evacuated and no one was seriously hurt.
This weekend marks the 40th anniversary of the atrocity. The events of that night are still etched in the memory of those who were there.
Our correspondent Cary Johnston has been talking to some of them.
This Sunday marks exactly forty years since the IRA detonated two bombs at two pubs in Guildford killing five people and injuring many more. The pubs were targeted because they were popular with British Army personnal stationed nearby. A service of commemoration is being held at 4pm, outdoors in Quakers’ Acre, in North Street, next to the Guildford Library and opposite the building which was formerly the Horse and Groom, one of the pubs attacked that evening. The other pub was the Seven Stars in Swan Lane.
There is a plaque in Quakers’ Acre which names the five people who were killed: Paul Craig; Guardsmen William Forsyth and John Hunter of the Scots Guards; and Privates Ann Hamilton and Caroline Slater of the Women’s Royal Army Corps. The service will remember the five who died and those injured, pay tribute to the courageous work of the emergency services and express a longing for peace and reconciliation.
A motorcyclist has been airlifted to hospital following a collision on the southbound A3 near Guildford. It happened this afternoon at Burnt Common. The man has been taken to St George’s Hospital in Tooting. The road was closed for several hours to allow investigation work to take place on the carriageway.
Police have released this CCTV image of a man they think could help them after a man exposed himself to a 16-year-old boy on a train.
The boy boarded the train at Guildford at 11pm on Tuesday 20th May and sat in the third carriage from the front.
Shortly after the train left, a man sitting near the boy exposed himself and began behaving inappropriately.
The boy moved and told the train guard what happened.
The guard saw the man leave the train at Ash station.
Detective Constable Tony Bronger said, "I urgently want to speak to the man pictured as I think he has crucial information about what happened. If you recognise him, please get in touch. I am also keen to hear from anyone who was on the train and may have witnessed the incident."
Anyone with information is asked to contact British Transport Police on 0800 40 50 40 quoting reference number SSUB/B8 of 30/06/2014.
An inquest into the death of a man who was swept out to sea in Cornwall on New Year's day has been ruled as accidental.
27-year-old Harry Swordy died after celebrating with friends in the early hours at Loe Bar beach . His body was found at Porthleven the next day. His friends started a twitter campaign to get the storm named after him.
An inquest into the death of a writer who was swept to his death on New Year's Day will take place today. Harry Jack Swordy, 27, died after being washed out to sea off Loe Bar, near Porthleven in Cornwall, in the first hours of 2014.
Mr Swordy, from Guildford, Surrey, is believed to have been paddling at the beach when he was hit by a large wave. Following his death, Mr Swordy's friends launched a Twitter appeal to have the UK's bad weather named after him.
The emotional appeal, named #StormHarry, also encouraged people to donate to the RNLI who helped search for him.
Scene of incident in Guildford where two pedestrians were in collision with a car.