A teenager jailed for nine years for a drugs-related knife attack in Guildford. Maxwell Aboh-Tshiunza was sentenced at Guildford Crown Court, having earlier pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm with intent.
The 18-year-old repeatedly stabbed his victim at a property in Cranley Road in what officers believed to be a drugs-related incident.
Detectives then set about piecing together Aboh-Tshiunza's movements by trawling through hours of CCTV footage, which captured him at both London Road and Guildford Railway Stations, which he used in the minutes after the attack. His DNA was recovered from the kitchen knife used in the attack which was found nearby.
This has been a challenging and complex investigation but I hope the conviction demonstrates to the Surrey public our commitment to keep our county safe and sends a clear message to offenders that our officers are committed to see that justice is done.
All eyes will be on Guildford this weekend, as the town plays host to national celebrations of Armed Forces Day.Read the full story ›
The National Trust has said it hopes to rebuild Clandon Park near Guildford, which was badly damaged by fire earlier this year.Read the full story ›
An investigation has been launched into the death of a woman whilst in custody at Guildford Police Station. The woman, who was in her 40s, had been arrested just before 3am on Saturday, 30 May on suspicion of entering a property in Park Barn. At around 1.30pm she was taken to hospital for medical treatment and was subsequently returned into police custody.
The woman was further assessed by health care professionals whilst in police custody awaiting transfer to court. At around 7.20am yesterday she was found unresponsive during a check and died a short time later.
The Independent Police Complaints Commission has begun an independent investigation into the death.
Assistant Chief Constable Stuart Cundy, said: "Surrey Police is deeply saddened by this death and our sympathy is with the lady's family at this difficult time. With the IPCC we will support the family throughout the investigation."
The family of a Hampshire soldier who was killed when he was struck by a police car say their son has not received the full justice he deserves.
The inquest into the death of Joshua Brown heard the officer was driving too fast along the A31 at Hog's back near Guildford when he hit the 21 year old as he walked along the road.
Today the coroner recorded a verdict of death by road traffic accident. Emma Wilkinson was there:
A driver has been jailed after a 12-mile chase at speeds of up to 100mph on country roads.
Alexander Crew turned his lights off in the dark, drove through junctions and travelled on the wrong side of the road during the 25 minute pursuit across Surrey.
The 23-year-old was eventually caught when he was boxed in by police on the A3 and attempted to flee on foot.
He was jailed for nine months and banned from driving for two years at Guildford Crown Court having previously pleaded guilty to dangerous driving, driving without a licence, no insurance and failing to stop.
Guildford Cathedral has been awarded £4.6m from the Heritage Lottery Fund. The cash injection will allow the unique building - known as the People's Cathedral - to carry out building repairs and host a number of community activities.
Chessington World of Adventures regards the Health & Safety of its guests and employees as its number one priority. The Resort has an excellent safety record with no previous convictions or enforcement notices against it, and every year invests significant resources in maintenance and safety measures.
What happened to the young child was an isolated incident which we deeply regret, and from the outset we have put in place a package of support for the child and the family which will continue for as long as is required.
We also co-operated fully with the HSE investigation. This showed both a rigorous inspection and maintenance regime, and evidence not only of very swift action by staff, but also that the paling was dislodged by the application of exceptional force upon it shortly before the accident. Nevertheless, following the incident in 2012, we worked with the HSE to act on all their comments, including putting some additional measures in place such as the installation of a new metal safety fencing along the queue line.
Chessington World of Adventures was today sentenced for safety failings that led to a four-year-old girl suffering life-changing head injuries when she fell from a raised walkway while queuing for a ride.
The youngster, from Kent, fell nearly four metres while waiting in line for the Tomb Blaster ride with her family at the theme park in Surrey on 7 June 2012. She suffered a fractured skull, bleeding to the brain and broken ribs and was in hospital for a month. She still needs extensive rehabilitation treatment and specialist support.
Chessington World of Adventures Operations Ltd., of Market Close, Poole, Dorset, was fined £150,000 and ordered to pay £21,614 in costs after pleading guilty to breaching the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974.
The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigated and prosecuted Chessington World of Adventures Operations Ltd after finding the girl had fallen through a gap in a wooden fence.
A hearing at Guildford Crown Court heard HSE had identified that a rotting paling in the fence had fallen out on the morning of the incident and that the whole fence showed evidence of serious weakening.
After the sentencing, investigating HSE inspector Karen Morris said: “This was a disastrous and horrifying incident for the child and her parents. They had travelled from their home in Kent for a fun day out together at this well-known attraction only to find themselves hours later in an intensive care ward with their daughter.
A teenager has been charged with attempted murder following an incident in Guildford in October.
Officers were called to an address in Cranley Road at around 8.10pm on Monday, 13 October following a report that a man had been stabbed.
The victim, a man in his 20s, was taken to St Georges Hospital in Tooting for treatment to his injuries which were described as life threatening. He has since been discharged.
On Friday, 19 December a teenager was arrested in connection with this incident.
The following day a 17-year-old boy, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was charged with attempted murder.