Live updates

BREAKING NEWS: Brighton uphold decision to sack Poyet

Former Seagulls manager Gus Poyet. Credit: PA

Brighton and Hove Albion have upheld their dismissal of former manager Gus Poyet for gross misconduct.

A statement released by the club today said:

"Following a suspension, investigation, disciplinary meeting, and separate appeal hearing, conducted by three members of the club's board on 11th July and 12th July, Brighton & Hove Albion today confirmed that after further consideration Gus Poyet's dismissal for gross misconduct has been upheld.

"The panel's decision was delivered to Gus Poyet and his advisers a short time ago.

"The club's internal disciplinary process is now complete. In line with the club's policy to ensure and maintain confidentiality and dignity throughout this process, no further details of the disciplinary or appeal hearings will be released at this time.

"Despite the extremely disappointing end to Mr Poyet's career with Brighton & Hove Albion, the club would like to acknowledge Mr Poyet's service to the club, which included leading the club to the League One championship in 2011 and to its highest league finish for more than 30 years in 2013."

Gus Poyet to appeal against dismissal

Gus Poyet says he intends to appeal against his dismissal as manager of Brighton and Hove Albion. The Uruguayan says he only learned of his sacking while appearing on live TV last night.

But the club says Poyet knew his dismissal was imminent. The manager fell out of favour when the Seagulls failed to gain promotion to the Premiership. Watch Malcolm Shaw's report.

Advertisement

Poyet sacking - new Seagulls statement

A spokesman for Brighton and Hove Albion FC said: "In relation to comments made by Gus Poyet on BBC Match of the Day last night, the club would like to point out that its disciplinary panel considered the matter on the afternoon of Friday 21st June and for most of Saturday 22nd June.

"The club spent much of Sunday 23rd June in discussion with Gus and his representatives. For legal reasons we cannot say anything about the content of those discussions but Gus was well aware, before he appeared on the BBC last evening, that his dismissal was pending.

"Given Gus has a right to appeal the decision to dismiss him, the club will not be making any further comment on this matter at this time."

Gus Poyet to launch appeal against dismissal

Gus Poyet is set to launch an appeal against his dismissal as Brighton manager after he learned he had been sacked on live TV last night.

Brighton revealed Poyet's three-and-a-half-year tenure had been terminated following a decision by the npower Championship club's internal disciplinary panel into a, so far, unidentified matter.

The statement claimed the club had informed Poyet of the decision, however, the stunned boss refuted that live on air after learning the news while acting as a pundit on the BBC for the Confederations Cup.

Twitter reaction after Gus Poyet sacked

04eb28a84d05a731b8e3d13a972d0915_normal

Brighton are stupid to have sacked Gus Poyet.They were one of the hardest teams to play against for Bolton this year. What has he even done?

C8e6d3398541e3dff42b75f65cb0f928_normal

Thank you Gus Poyet. The greatest Brighton manager in my life time. Thank you for bringing us the Orchestra of Flair x #bhafc #Gracias

21b4327302b1eff4277da478a52fe4cc_normal

Just seen the Gus Poyet video of his sacking during half time tonight on the BBC. Disgraceful the way the club has treated him #embarassing

Advertisement

Poyet told he is sacked on live television

Gus Poyet
Gus Poyet has been sacked as Brighton manager Credit: PA

Sacked Brighton manager Gus Poyet found out he had lost his job while acting as a pundit on live television.

The 45-year-old was told by BBC staff while appearing as a studio pundit on Sunday's live Match of the Day programme.

"I've still had no communication from the club, no text, no email," he said.

"I'm probably the first to be in this position. Everyone can make their own conclusions about the way I have been informed by you.

"I suppose reading the statement I will be able to talk to them. It's very sad, they made me proud. Not being able to answer a phone or text is unusual.

"Are they messing with my career? We will see, it's too early to say. I am looking forward to clearing this."

Poyet sacked: Club statement

Brighton FC has issued this statement:"Gus Poyet has been informed today by Brighton & Hove Albion football club's internal disciplinary panel that his employment has been terminated with immediate effect.

"This followed his suspension, an investigation, and a subsequent formal disciplinary process.

"In line with the club's own procedures, and UK employment law, Mr Poyet now has a right of appeal. As such, the club will make no further comment on this matter or recent LMA statements at this time.

"Given the close proximity of the new season, the club will, in conjunction with its board, now seek to appoint an interim manager pending the outcome of a possible appeal."

Poyet sacked as Brighton manager

Gus Poyet has been sacked as Brighton manager following a decision by the npower Championship club's internal disciplinary panel.

Brighton released a statement to confirm Poyet's departure tonight, a day before the players are due to report back for the first day of pre-season.

Poyet led Brighton to the play-offs last season but his tenure at the Amex Stadium had become uncertain after it was revealed that the Uruguayan, assistant manager Mauricio Taricco and coach Charlie Oatway were told to stay away from the club.

Brighton have remained tight-lipped over the reasons for taking the action, but today's decision comes after Poyet failed to attend a disciplinary hearing last week.

Seagulls suspend Gus

Brighton confirmed the news in a statement this evening that offered no reason for the surprise move, which comes three days after the Seagulls exited the play-offs at the hands of bitter rivals Crystal Palace.

The statement read: "Brighton & Hove Albion has confirmed that it has suspended its manager, assistant manager, and its first-team coach from their duties.

"The club will now follow its internal procedures with regard to this matter and will make no further comment at this time."

Load more updates

Advertisement

Today's top stories