Volunteer rescuers attended a deer rescue with a difference. Trained members of East Sussex Wildlife Rescue & Ambulance Service (WRAS) were called out to a report of a deer with its antlers entangled in a child's football goal.
The risky rescue took place at the edge of Abbotts Wood close to Robin Post Lane in Hailsham. Two ambulances attended on site and rescuers searched for the deer before discovering it at the edge of the wood in tall vegetation.
"As we approached the deer it dragged the netting and metal poles from the damaged frame with it" said Trevor Weeks from WRAS. Trevor had to tackle the deer and pin it to the floor. The netting was the removed** before Trevor jumped away allowing the deer to get up and run off back to the wild.
A badger rescued from a disused swimming pool near Hailsham in Sussex will be monitored by vets after two swellings were noticed on its neck. Rescuers think they are possible bite marks from other badgers that have become infected.
Trevor Weeks from East Sussex Wildlife Rescue & Ambulance Service said: "We see minor injuries quite often and normally it is just where they have been play fighting with other badgers and not normally much to worry about. Here, the wounds were infected and in need of veterinary help."
The badger was taken to a casualty centre at Whitesmith, near Hailsham, where it was bedded down and is now booked in to be seen by one of WRAS’s vets.
The badger will stay with WRAS until its wounds have healed up and will be released back close to where it was found.
Rescuers from East Sussex Wildlife Rescue & Ambulance Service went to the aid of an injured badger found in the bottom of a disused swimming pool.
They were called just after 8.30am to help the trapped animal.
Trevor Weeks and Lindsay Redfern climbed down into the empty swimming pool and found the badger trying to sleep in quite an unusual position with its back to the corner of the swimming pool and its head tucked in to its belly and covered with its legs.
The position of the badger caused some problems and the rescue took longer than normal as it proved difficult to get the dog grasper on the badger while its head was tucked away. Eventually the badger was caught and placed into a special badger cage where it was then assessed and triaged.
Traffic is queueing on the A22 northbound in Hailsham in East Sussex. It's partially blocked just before the A295 South Road, with congestion on the A2270 Polegate By-pass to the A27 Lewes Road due to an accident.
A woman whose three cats died after coming into contact with the pollen from a bouquet of lilies is urging florists to put warnings on their flowers. Sonia Barnett from Hailsham said she did not realise that the blooms could be toxic to her pets. Iain McBride reports.
Beth Skillings, the Clinical Veterinary Officer for 'Cats Protection' the national welfare charity for cats told ITV Meridian:
"We urge owners to be aware of the risks from lilies as they are extremely toxic to cats. Cats can be affected by eating any parts of the plant, and it is thought cats can also be affected by simply brushing past the flower and then grooming the pollen from their fur.
"Cats Protection has been approaching leading supermarkets and florists to ensure that prominent warnings appear on all bouquets containing lilies. We are disappointed that not all supermarkets have yet adopted this practice."
The family of Darren Croxton said they are pleased with the manslaughter conviction but disappointed that a second man was cleared.
They said in a statement released through Sussex Police: "Darren did not deserve this tragic ending to his young life, he leaves behind a child who has to grow up without her father. We are all devastated and feel that the huge whole left in our lives by his death will never be filled."