An inquest into the deaths of two British service personnel who died in a suspected "green-on-blue" attack in Afghanistan will begin today.
Hundreds showed their support for the armed forces in West Sussex today as the 47th Regiment, Royal Artillery marched through Havant
The 10ft long porbeagle weighed more than 39 stone. Caught off the Cornish coast by Wayne Comben from Havant and Graeme Pullen from Hook.
A 16-year-old girl has died and another teenager is seriously injured after the car they were travelling in left the road and hit a building in Havant last night. Three teenagers were in the Vauxhall Tigra on Petersfield Road when the accident happened.
The car struck part of the Staunton Country Park building. Police were called just before 10.45pm. A 16-year-old girl, who was a passenger was declared dead at the scene. The young male driver, who was injured, was taken to Queen Alexandra Hospital.
A rear-seat passenger, believed to be a male in his teens, sustained serious head and leg injuries and was taken to Southampton General Hospital. The building was unoccupied and nobody else was hurt.
A 16-year-old girl has died and another teenager is seriously injured after a car hit a building in Havant last night.
Further signalling problems caused delays to services between Havant in Hampshire and Chichester in West Sussex, between Shrewsbury and Wolverhampton and between Yeovil Junction and Salisbury in the West Country.
Another signalling problem, at Wandsworth Common in south-west London, led to delays to services through Balham station in south-east London, while illness to a passenger resulted in delays to services between Shenfield in Essex and London's Liverpool Street station.
No trains were able to run in and out of Moorgate station in London due to a lineside fire in north London. There were also delays in and out of another major London terminus - Waterloo - due to a signalling problem at Clapham Junction in south London.
A 43-year-old man from Hastings in Sussex who was questioned by police over two attempted child abductions has been released on bail until February while police make further inquiries.
Hampshire Police are calling on motorists from Sussex to come forward with any information about two attempted child abductions in Havant on 18th and 19th December. The first incident was in Leigh Park, the second in Emsworth.
– Detective Inspector Jeff Huggett, Waterlooville CID.
A priority is identifying and talking with two motorists who we believe are vital witnesses to the second attempted abduction in Emsworth.
It is possible these motorists were commuters travelling into or out of Sussex, particularly Chichester, on Wednesday morning.
The 11-year-old victim told police that drivers sounded their horns at him when he ran into traffic to get away from his attempted abductor. If you were driving a gold-coloured Mini-style car or similar model, or a blue Vauxhall, in Southleigh Road in Emsworth at around 8.30am on 19th December 2012, please contact police."
So far, police have received 45 calls from the public and spoken with 40 motorists. In a statement, Hampshire Police said the arrest and bailing of one man was one of many leads being followed. They said there were other important witnesses they hoped to speak to.
– Detective Inspector Jeff Huggett
A team of officers and staff continue to work extra shifts this weekend to gather and analyse information about the circumstances of both attempted abductions and the identity of whoever was responsible. We would like to thank colleagues in Sussex Police for their assistance.
I would like to express my thanks to both children and their families after such an upsetting experience. Police are grateful to them and the parents for their time, co-operation and composure during a series of events that have disrupted their lives so close to Christmas."
A man has been arrested by Hampshire Police investigating two attempted abductions in Havant. A 43-year-old man from Hastings was arrested on 21st December.
The first attempt was in Leigh Park at 1.50pm on 18th December. A 12-year-old girl was grabbed between Purbrook Way and Middle Park Way.
In a similar incident at about 8.30am on 19th December, a man attempted to grab an 11-year-old boy in Southleigh Road, Emsworth. The boy was about to cross the road when a man left a van and grabbed the boy’s wrist. The boy shouted, screamed and pinched him. The man let go and the boy ran away.
– Detective Inspector Jeff Huggett, senior investigating officer
This investigation remains a priority for Hampshire Constabulary with officers and staff working extra shifts over the weekend to pursue lines of enquiry swiftly.
This arrest in Sussex is one of several leads we are following at this time. No one has been charged or convicted. Therefore, police must keep an open mind and ask the public not to reach hasty conclusions while we are gathering and analysing information. I would like to thank our colleagues in Sussex Police for their assistance, and appeal again for members of the public to come forward with any information."
Police have received no other reports of attempted abductions in Havant and Waterlooville since Wednesday morning. They are not linking this investigation to any other suspicious incidents elsewhere.
– Detective Inspector Jeff Huggett
Further enquiries identified two specific motorists who could be important witnesses to the second attempted abduction in Southleigh Road in Emsworth. The 11-year-old victim provided more details about two vehicles whose motorists sounded their horns at him when he ran into traffic away from his attempted abductor. We are renewing a direct appeal for the drivers of a gold-coloured Mini-style car or similar model, and a blue Vauxhall, to speak with the police about what they saw. The boy remembers the descriptions of these cars in Southleigh Road at around 8.30am on Wednesday, 19th December."
Delays of up to 30 minutes on Southern between Littlehampton and Havant due to earlier emergency engineering works between Barnham and Chichester. Disruption is expected to continue until around 13:00.
Pensioners angry at plans to move a war memorial in Havant are protesting in the town centre. The local council says the proposal to move the memorial is just one of many being considered for the town's redevelopment.
Local people angry at plans to move a war memorial in Havant to make way for the redevelopment of the high street, are protesting against the proposal.
The local authority wants to change the cross roads where the memorial sits into a square, as part of the town's redevelopment.
But members of the Havant 50 Plus Forum are leading a protest to stop the council from moving the memorial further down West Street.
They say it would be disrespectful to those who gave their lives during World War 1 and World War 2.
The council says the plans are only the "start of the debate" about how the region could be redeveloped.
The A27 Eastbound is blocked at Havant due to flooding between the A259 Havant Road / Green Pond Corner / Church Lane and A286 Stockbridge Road (Stockbridge Roundabout).