Live updates

Missing Normandy veteran returns to care home

Bernard Jordan has returned home to his Sussex care home Credit: Press Association Images

The D-Day veteran who disappeared from his Sussex nursing home to attend the 70th anniversary commemorations in Normandy has returned home. Bernard Jordan, 90, was reported missing to Sussex Police after he left The Pines care home in Hove unannounced on Thursday morning.

He was later found in France where he had joined other veterans in France. The former Royal Navy officer was welcomed back by flag waiving staff at The Pines this morning after returning on the ferry via Portsmouth.

Brittany Ferries' skipper, Captain Olivier Macoin stands beside Bernard Jordan on the deck of the Normandie in Portsmouth Harbour Credit: Press Association Images
Bernard Jordan, 90, served in the Royal Navy Credit: Gracewell Healthcare

Advertisement

Missing war hero, found in Normandy, was ex-mayor

Bernard Jordan Credit: The Pines

War veteran Bernard Jordan ,who went missing from a nursing home in Hove, has been found in Normandy. Sussex Police were called yesterday (Thursday 5 June) by staff at a nursing home in Hove who said an 89-year-old who lived there had gone out at 10.30am that morning and had not been seen since.

Bernard had gone missing wearing his war medals. He has lived in Hove for his entire life. He served in the Royal navy during the Second World War. He was mayor of Hove in the mid-1990s.

Missing war veteran found in Normandy

A veteran who went missing from a nursing home in Hove, has been found in Normandy. Sussex Police were called yesterday (Thursday 5 June) by staff at a nursing home in Hove who said an 89-year-old who lived there had gone out at 10.30am that morning and had not been seen since.

The pensioner had gone out with his war medals on.

The nursing home received a phone call from a younger veteran from Brighton at 10.30pm who said he had met the pensioner on a coach on the way to France and that they were safe and well in a hotel in Ouistreham.

Sussex Police say he is fine and with his friends, and will return after D-Day celebrations finish.

Advertisement

5-year-old boy suffers broken leg after collision with car

Police are seeking witnesses to an incident on the A2023 Hove Street, Hove, at 1.26pm on Tuesday, in which a five-year-old boy suffered a broken leg.

The boy was on foot when he was in collision with a car outside The Connaught public house.

He was taken by ambulance to the Royal Sussex County Hospital, Brighton.Anyone who saw the collision is asked to phone Sussex Police on 101 or email collision.appeal@sussex.pnn.police.uk, quoting serial 653 of 27/5.

Take a tour around Brighton's 'open houses'

Throughout the Brighton Festival two hundred artists have thrown open their doors to the public - transforming their homes into galleries.

The Artists Open Houses project is thought to be largest event of its kind in the world - but its not just kitchens, hallways and front rooms being transformed.

Andy Dickenson reports and speaks to artists Yinka Shonibare, Vicky House and Open Houses and HOUSE 2014 festival director Judy Stevens.

Young London professionals buying homes in seaside city

Sussex city popular with young workers Credit: ITV Meridian

One of the most popular places for young professionals to buy outside of London is Hove, according to a new report. House hunters from the capital bought nearly 1,000 properties there last year - with hundreds more snapped up in Brighton.

In the Sussex city, people have been finding bargains 11% below the national average.

Load more updates