Live updates

Inquest opens into deaths of RAF Odiham servicemen

An inquest has heard how the air commander of a Lynx helicopter shouted 'pull up, pull up, pull up,' seconds before a crash in Afghanistan which killed four servicemen based at RAF Odiham in Hampshire.

Another British airman was also killed when the Lynx helicopter - came down on a training mission in April 2014. 30 miles from the Pakistan border.

The MoD says the crash - the worst involving a British helicopter in Afghanistan, was a "tragic accident".

From Oxford Coroner's Court, Mel Bloor sent this.


Shoreham inquest opened and adjourned

Tributes left on the Adur Ferry Bridge in Shoreham Credit: Dominic Lipinski/PA Wire/Press Association Images

The inquest into the deaths of 11 people who died in the Shoreham air crash has been opened and adjourned.

11 people were killed when a Hawker Hunter jet crashed during a display at the Shoreham Airshow on Saturday 22 August.

They have been named as Maurice Rex Abrahams, Dylan Archer, Anthony David Brightwell, Matthew James Grimstone, Matthew Wesley Jones, James Graham Mallinson, Daniele Gaetano Polito, Mark Alexander Reeves, Jacob Henry Schilt, Richard Jonathan Smith and Mark James Trussler.

West Sussex Senior Coroner Penelope Schofield, sitting at County Hall North in Horsham, adjourned the inquest today to 22 March 2016 for a pre inquest review. This is pending the results of the investigation by Sussex Police and the Air Accidents Investigation Branch.

A one minute silence was held at the start of the proceedings in memory of those who were killed.

Fatal fire 'most likely caused by discarded cigarette'

A fire which killed a 28-year-old woman in Basingstoke was most likely caused by a discarded cigarette.

Tamazin Van Der Walt died in March when the blaze ripped through her brother's house in Popley.

The number of people who smoke has halved in the last forty years. But 37% of fatal fires are still caused through smoking.

Kate Bunkall reports from the coroners court on another tragedy probably caused by a habit that is doubly dangerous.

Inquest finds soldier was killed by speeding police car

The family of a Hampshire soldier who was killed when he was struck by a police car say their son has not received the full justice he deserves.

The inquest into the death of Joshua Brown heard the officer was driving too fast along the A31 at Hog's back near Guildford when he hit the 21 year old as he walked along the road.

Today the coroner recorded a verdict of death by road traffic accident. Emma Wilkinson was there:

Verdict of teen killed by polar bear expected today

The verdict into the death of a Wiltshire schoolboy who was killed by a polar bear in Norway is expected later this afternoon.

17-year-old Horatio Chappel was killed by the animal while he slept in his tent on the remote Svalbard islands in August 2011.

The inquest surrounds Horatio Chappel's death by a polar bear Credit: ITV Meridian


Last day of inquest into death of boy killed by polar bear

Video. The family of a boy killed by a polar bear on a school expedition are urging the coroner to find that the company that organised the trip was negligent and failed to protect their son.

Horatio Chapple, from Salisbury, was 17 when he died on an expedition to Svalbard in Norway in 2011. Others in the camp were also injured before the animal was shot dead by an expedition leader.

Richard Slee reports - on the final day of the inquest.

Last pieces of evidence to be heard in polar bear inquest

Today should be the last day that evidence will be heard at an inquest into the death of a teenager from Salisbury who was killed by a polar bear.

Horatio Chappel was on an expedition in Norway when the animal attacked him in August 2011.

The inquest has heard how the trip wire system that was meant to scare off the bears was not good enough.

The trip leader, who shot dead the polar bear, also told the inquest how his rifle failed to fire when the animal began to attack the group.

Teenager re-lives "terrifying" polar bear attack

A teenager has been re-living the terrifying moment a polar bear attacked him and killed his friend - during a school expedition in the Arctic.

Scott Benall Smith told an inquest into the death of Horatio Chapple from Salisbury - the tent was "shaking" - as if someone was trying to wake them up and then collapsed.

Horatio was on an adventure holiday on the remote Island of Svalbard in Norway in 2011 when he died. Four others were also injured by the animal who went on a rampage as the group slept in their tents.

With more details here's Martin Dowse.

Load more updates