Live updates

18-year-old arrested at Dover after tube bomb

The incident at Parsons Green left several people injured

An 18-year-old man has been arrested in Dover on suspicion of a terror offence. It follows the Parsons Green underground train bombing in London on Friday 15th September.

Scotland Yard said that Kent Police detained the teenager in the port area of Dover this morning. The Metropolitan Police said that they will move the teenager to a police station in South London.

"We have made a significant arrest in our investigation this morning. Although we are pleased with the progress made, this investigation continues and the threat level remains at critical.

"The public should remain vigilant as our staff, officers and partners continue to work through this complex investigation. We are not, at this time, changing our protective security measures and the steps taken to free up extra armed officers remain in place.

"This arrest will lead to more activity from our officers. For strong investigative reasons we will not give any more details on the man we arrested at this stage."

– Deputy Assistant Commissioner Neil Basu, Kent Police

Advertisement

Teenager jailed for stabbing two men

Deon Awodeyi Credit: Kent Police

A teenager has been jailed for five and a half years for stabbing two men in Tunbridge Wells in December last year.

18 year old Deon Awodeyi, of Hetton Lodge, attacked the pair with a knife on Dudley Road, they'd been embroiled in a long-running dispute.

Police said Awodeyi was a 'danger to others'.

The men, one aged in his 20s and the other aged in his late teens, suffered serious injuries.

Both required surgery, one for a stab wound to the lower back, and the other, a stab wound to the arm.

Awodeyi wore a black balaclava during the attack.

He was later identified by witnesses.

Officers attended his address and found a knife hidden under a door matt and the balaclava in his bedroom.

He pleaded guilty to two counts of Grievous Bodily Harm and carrying a knife and was sentenced at Maidstone Crown Court on Wednesday 16 August 2017.

Awodeyi is a danger to others. He harbours violent tendencies and doesn’t consider the consequences of his actions."

"I hope this sentence will give Awodeyi the wakeup call he needs to change his damaging behaviour and turn his life around upon release."

– Detective Constable Shelley Rainer, Investigating officer

Two arrests after substance thrown at man in Thanet

Two people have been arrested by Kent Police following reports that a substance was thrown at a man in Whitstable, leaving him with injuries.

The incident happened at premises in Thanet way in Whitstable. Police officers and South East Coast Ambulance Service crews were called there at about 8.49am on Saturday. The victim was taken to hospital.

A 25 year old woman from Whitstable has been arrested later on Saturday on suspicion of assault; and a 51-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of making threats to cause criminal damage and threats to kill. Both remain in police custody while investigations continue.

Detectives say that it is believed the victim and the man and woman who were arrested knew each other.

Rapist jailed for 8 years for 'predatory' attack

Ansra Mahmud Credit: Kent Police

A rapist has been jailed for eight years and three months after he sexually assaulted a woman in a 'predatory' attack in Sheerness.

36 year old Ansra Mahmud, formerly of High Street in Sheerness, raped a woman after he found her walking home alone.

The victim was walking down Sheerness High Street at around 1am on 24th July last year.

She was then approached by Mahmud who then escorted her to a secluded yard, off Victory Street, where he raped her.

Mahmud then drove her back to her house and left her with friends.

He pleaded not guilty at the seven day trial at Maidstone Crown Court.

This was a perverse and predatory attack that dehumanised the victim in the worst way imaginable."

"There are no mitigating circumstances for his actions. He violated an innocent, young woman for his own sexual gratification and this memory will always be with her."

"Despite going through this ordeal, she has shown an incredible amount of bravery to testify against the offender."

"I hope that she can take some comfort from the sentence he has received, and from the fact this man is no longer a risk to other women due to her courage."

– Detective Constable Nicola Hilton, Investigating Officer

Police issue cctv image after girl assaulted on bus

Kent Police are trying to trace this person Credit: Kent Police

Kent Police have issued a CCTV image of a man who may be able to help with their inquiry into an alleged sexual assault on a girl on a bus in the Medway area.

The teenager was at Chatham bus station on 21 May 2017. At about 5.50pm she took the 132 bus to Gillingham. It was reported that a man got on the bus in the Canterbury Street area and sat next to her. He started to talk to her, asking her questions and then put his hand on her leg. He continued in the same manner until another passenger saw what he was doing and intervened.

It is believed that the man who was touching the girl left the bus near the Bowater roundabout shortly afterwards. Kent Police are appealing for the public to help trace the man in the cctv image. He may have vital information.

‘We have been carrying out enquiries in relation to this report, to identify opportunities which could assist our investigation. CCTV footage has come to light and consequently we are now able to issue stills.’

– Detective Constable Kate Fox, the investigating officer, Kent Police
Can you help Kent Police identify this person? Credit: Kent Police

Advertisement

Man charged with murder in Margate - 2 others released

The dead man was found at a property on Ethelbert Terrace in Margate

A 24 year old man is due before Medway Magistrates Court today, charged with the murder of another man whose body was found in Margate on Monday 3rd July.

Kent Police have charged Aurimas Vilius, aged 24, from Cornwall Gardens in Margate with the murder of 38-year-old Edvardas Barscevicius, who was also from the town.

The body of Mr Barscevicius was discovered at a property in Ethelbert Terrace. It is believed that the two men knew each other. Officers are still carrying out an investigation into the circumstances surrounding the death.

A 35-year-old man who was also arrested in connection with the incident has been released pending further enquiries. While a third man, aged 54, has been released without charge.

M20 repairs after car rolled over - 'take care passing'

The car rolled over on the M20 motorway Credit: Kent Police's Road's Policing Unit

Man charged with stealing mobile phone & wallet

Police have arrested and charged a man with robbery after another man's wallet and mobile phone were stolen in Margate.

Kent Police said the theft happened on Union Row in the town on Saturday 20th May. Thirty-one year old Marcus Turner, who is homeless, was detained on Sunday 21st May, charged and then remanded in custody. He is due to appear before Medway Magistrates Court via videolink today.

A 28-year-old woman from Margate who was arrested in connection with the same incident has been released pending further enquiries.

Load more updates