Thirteen people have appeared in court after a crackdown on dropping litter in Thanet.
The offenders had ignored fixed penalty notices and reminders. They face fines and costs of more than £362 each.
Thanet Council has issued the following reminders:
- There will be no warnings - if you drop any litter (including cigarette butts or chewing gum) you will be issued with a Fixed Penalty Notice of £80
- Not having a bin to hand is not an excuse for littering
- The offence is complete once the item is deposited and left
- Placing a cigarette end down a drain is still an offence which will result in a fine
- You can use bins without ashtrays, extinguish the cigarette first, and then place it in the bin
- If a littering case goes to court, an offender risks receiving a fine of up to £2,500
Wednesday morning's weather for the east of the regionRead the full story ›
Rail passengers at Southern and Thameslink are facing more misery after the rail Union RMT decided to ballot hundreds of ticket office staff for strike action.
The union says GTR, which owns the companies, wants to close ticket offices and cut 130 jobs.
The new action is on top of the chaos being caused by an on-going dispute over the roll of guards.
Under the plan new roles of Station Hosts will be created that will see staff removed from ticket offices and sent onto platforms to assist passengers and sell tickets.
The impact of their proposals cannot be underestimated. GTR want to close ticket offices, or cut them to morning peak only, at 83 stations from as far afield as Kings Lynn and Bognor Regis. As a means of doing this they plan to introduce a new multi-functional role of Station Host which we estimate will result in a cut of at least 130 jobs.
GTR insists it is the best use of staff time and will improve services for passengers.
Tuesday night's weather for the east of the regionRead the full story ›
A young Scout from Kent has collapsed and died while attending a jamboree in Finland.Read the full story ›
Tuesday afternoon's weather for the east of the regionRead the full story ›
Thirty kilos of cocaine have been seized at Dover hidden in the bodywork of a Lithuanian-registered lorry.Read the full story ›
Tuesday's weather for the east of the regionRead the full story ›
The prison watchdog has branded HMP Swaleside on the Isle of Sheppey in Kent as 'dangerous' with unacceptably high levels of violence.Read the full story ›