Live updates

Advertisement

  1. Sarah Saunders @SSaundersITV

VIDEO: Hospital patients left in the cold after heating failure

Patients say they've been forced to wear hats, scarves and blankets on a hospital ward in Kent after the heating broke down. Reg Hansell, a dialysis patient from Shepherdswell in Kent, told us that up to forty vulnerable patients a day have been putting up with unacceptable cold as they received dialysis treatment at the Kent and Canterbury Hospital. Sarah Saunders spoke to Reg about his experience.

Advertisement

Batteries could 'burn internal organs', say doctors

Doctors in the South want parents of small children to make sure they don't swallow button batteries, because they can kill. The tiny batteries are found in some toys meant for older children, musical christmas cards and gadgets like remote controls.

They are perfectly safe products if made by a reputable manufacturer and used correctly, but if they are eaten they could cause a child to choke and within hours begin to burn their internal organs.

Sally Simmonds has more details:

Six jailed in connection with murder of 20 year old in Folkestone

20 year-old Gus Allman was murdered in February Credit: Kent Police

Five men and a woman have been sentenced following the murder of a 20 year-old man in Folkestone in February.

Damian Daley, 39, of London Street in Folkestone; and Timothy Avril, 22, of East Dulwich were convicted by a jury last month of killing Londoner Gus Allman and received life terms. A woman and three more men had sought to pervert the course of justice by hiding evidence or giving false statements to police.

Laura Jayne Smith, 38, and Michael Williams, 20, were found guilty of perverting the course of justice at trial. Melech Marshall, 19, and 20 year-old Dean Alford had pleaded guilty to perverting the course of justice at an earlier hearing.

The six individuals were all sentenced at Canterbury Crown Court on 18 December.

Daley was sentenced to life imprisonment, with a minimum 20 years, for murder. Credit: Kent Police
Avril was sentenced to life imprisonment, with a minimum 20 years, for murder. Credit: Kent Police
Smith, of Harvey Street in Folkestone, was sentenced to four years for perverting the course of justice. Credit: Kent Police
Williams, of East Dulwich, was sentenced to three years for perverting the course of justice. Credit: Kent Police
Marshall, from Kidbrooke, was sentenced to six years for perverting the course of justice and possession of class A drugs with intent to supply. Credit: Kent Police
Alford, of Brockley, was sentenced to three years for perverting the course of justice. Credit: Kent Police

On 19 February 2014, Mr Allman travelled from London to Folkestone along with Marshall, Alford and Williams. A quantity of heroin changed hands at a house in London Street - where Mr Allman was stabbed by Daley and Avril. It was at this point that the group’s efforts to hamper any subsequent investigation began. Mr Allman’s associates drove him to Wood Avenue before calling for medical assistance. They later denied having travelled down to Folkestone with Mr Allman at all, instead insisting they had come across him by coincidence. Meanwhile, Smith had tried to clean up the house in London Street to hide any signs of an attack. Carpets had been cut up and walls, doors and clothes washed in a failed attempt to remove any traces of blood. I’m pleased to see Mr Allman’s violent killers jailed for a suitable length of time – and I’m also pleased that the courts have seen fit to jail those who tried to help them evade justice.

– Senior investigating officer Detective Inspector Lee Whitehead from the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate

Parents warned about toddlers swallowing batteries

X-ray of a child who swallowed a 'button' battery Credit: NWTS

Doctors in the south are warning parents that a common battery found in musical Christmas cards and toys could be fatal for toddlers if swallowed.

The tiny 'button' batteries can cause serious burns to internal organs as well as make small children choke.

'Button' batteries Credit: ITV Meridian

They are perfectly safe if made by reputable manufacturers and used correctly.

Load more updates