Live updates

Victim saved trauma of trial after conman's guilty plea

This was a long and arduous investigation and I’m happy that Al Ashkar pleaded guilty. This means the victim has been saved the uncertainty and indignity of a trial. Informing the victim of today’s result will be very rewarding, I’m just upset that there are people out there capable of this sort of crime in the first place.

– Det Con Rebecca Prior, Thames Valley Police

Terminally ill woman conned out of £70,000

Wassim Al Ashkar Credit: Thames Valley Police

A 32-year-old man who defrauded a terminally ill woman out of £71,450 has been jailed for two-and-a-half years.

Wassim Al Ashkar, of Oxford Road, Kidlington, pleaded guilty to three counts of fraud.

Between 2011 and 2013, Al Ashkar was employed as a full-time live-in carer for the 67-year-old woman who suffered from an advanced stage of multiple sclerosis.

She was bed bound at her home in Kidlington, relying on full time assistance and only leaving the bed for the occasional visits to the hospital.

After Al Ashkar left his role in March 2013, a relief carer noticed irregularities with the victim’s finances.

An investigation was carried out and discovered that Al Ashkar had used the victim’s bank cards to steal £71,450 from her.

It is believed he spent most of the money on gambling in local bookmakers.


Man who held his children hostage is jailed

A man who held his two children hostage at his home is Oxford has been jailed for 12 years.

Daniel Rodriquez had an air rifle during the standoff with armed police at the property in Kidlington and fired at officers before he was tasered.

Daniel Rodriguez was jailed following a stand-off with police Credit: Thames Valley Police

The court heard how Rodriquez has taken drugs and alcohol before the incident last July. Cherwell and West Oxfordshire LPA commander Supt Colin Paine said: “The incidents of that day in July had a substantial impact on the local community in Kidlington.

It saw some residents confined to their homes while officers persuaded Rodriquez to hand himself in. I would like to praise the community for their helpful response and support for the police on that day, which ultimately lead to a successful resolution without any harm to residents."


Two male detainees in hospital after fire

A fire at Campsfield immigration removal centre has led to more than half of the detainees being relocated to other removal centres around the UK. All the detainees have been accounted for and two male detainees are now in hospital. The cause of the fire is being investigated by police and the fire service.

– A Home Office spokesperson

2 detainees in hospital after immigration centre fire

Campsfield House this morning Credit: ITV News Meridian

The Home Office has just confirmed that 2 detainees are in hospital after a fire at an immigration centre in Oxford. Ten fire engines were called to the Campsfield House immigration removal centre in Kidlington, near Oxford, at 9pm last night.

All quiet at Campsfield House Credit: ITV News Meridian

More than half the detainees are being relocated to other centres because of damage to the building, a Home Office spokesman said. The fire service are still investigating the cause of the fire.

Load more updates