The Ministry of Defence has announced the names and details of the eight people who will be part of the Bearer Party carrying the coffin of the former Prime Minister Baroness Thatcher. The funeral will take place on Wednesday 17 April 2013.
Three members of the bearer party are from the South. They are :
Able Seaman Thomas Baker, 22, from Aylesbury in Buckinghamshire
Corporal John Caulfield, 30, from Weymouth in Dorset
Lance Corporal Tej Pun, 31, from Ashford in Kent
Train companies in the south say they will run extra carriages to take thousands of extra passengers to the funeral of Baroness Thatcher, it has just been announced.
Southeastern and Southern say where possible extra carriages will be added to services, but that it is not possible to run extra trains because the tracks are already full.
Southeastern say as many extra carriages as possible will be added.
Southern say services with extra capacity will include:
- 11.30 Bognor to Victoria strengthened from 4 to 8 carriages
- 10.07 East Grinstead to Victoria strengthened from 4 to 10 carriages
- 12.37 East Grinstead to Victoria strengthened from 4 to 10 carriages
- 13.37 East Grinstead to Victoria strengthened from 4 to 8 carriages
- 12.20 Horsham to Victoria strengthened from 4 to 12 carriages
However a spokesman for Southern said "Unfortunately, we simply don’t have rolling stock available to strengthen trains from Brighton into London."