A kite surfer was given first aid by a lifeboat crew after he was rescued from rough seas and gale force winds. The Littlehampton RNLI crew were called out at about 2pm on Saturday after the kite surfer got into trouble. The 31-year-old had been in the water for about 40 minutes when he was found.
The crew administered first aid and helped him get warmed up, before an ambulance took him to Worthing Hospital. Lifeboat operations manager Nick White said: "The sea conditions were at the high end of the scale in which we can operate safely.
"Brad, the gentlemen we rescued, came to the boathouse the following morning to thank the crew; he knew how lucky he was to be rescued after spending so long in the water in those conditions."
Delays of up to 30 minutes on Southern between Littlehampton and Havant due to earlier emergency engineering works between Barnham and Chichester. Disruption is expected to continue until around 13:00.
Officers from the Littlehampton area of Sussex are warning residents to be vigilant after reports that a man has been telephoning people pretending to be a police officer.
People from Fontwell, Woodgate and Walberton have reported hearing from the bogus caller who rings from a witheld number.
The imposter claims to be an officer from Chichester police and asks home owners security questions about their homes and outbuildings. During these calls he also refers to to possible faults on alarm systems.
"During the calls the man refers to himself as PC Pete Harrison or Pete Webster and tells the homeowners about potential faults on their alarm systems.
"We cannot be totally sure of the caller's motives, but it appears he may be checking how vulnerable properties are in the area and the residents who live in them.
"Please do not give out personal information over the phone. Police officers do not make calls to members of the public of this nature and you can always ring 101 and check if a local officer has been trying to get in touch with you."
– PC Steve Self, Littlehampton neighbourhood police team, Sussex Police
Three major opportunities were missed to assess risks posed by a paranoid schizophrenic who repeatedly stabbed a woman in a supermarket, according to a report today.
Samuel Reid-Wentworth inflicted 21 stab wounds on Lucy Yates six weeks after being discharged from a mental health unit.
He spotted Miss Yates on a bus and followed her into a Somerfield store in Littlehampton before carrying out his attack, in September 2008.
Miss Yates, then 22, survived. Reid-Wentworth was charged with attempted murder and detained under the Mental Health Act. He is in Broadmoor Hospital.
Investigators Verita considered the care he had received from Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust and said chances had been missed.
The first was when he was admitted to psychiatric services in August 2007, after assaulting two female strangers, each occasion with a weapon.
"The motivation underlying the assaults and the significance of his associated symptoms were never fully explored," the report says.
The second opportunity was when he was transferred to the rehabilitation and recovery unit after five months on the acute admission ward.
The report says: "Assessment of risk was incomplete and the potential seriousness of the two assaults on the women prior to admission was still not fully appreciated."
In the report, Reid-Wentworth is called 'Mr Z".
The third opportunity was when he was re-admitted to the acute mental health ward after the re-emergence of psychotic symptoms including thoughts of killing people.
In addition to the three "pivotal points" where opportunities were missed, there was also little evidence of staff attempting to establish a relationship with his mother, who was a very important part of his future care plan, the report says.
"In spite of Mr Z's extensive periods of leave to his mother and older brother's addresses neither was approached for their views as to the success or otherwise of these arrangements."