Live updates

Murder investigation launched in Sussex

Police believe Mark Manning has been murdered Credit: Sussex Police

A former military bomb disposal expert who vanished almost two months ago is feared to have been murdered, detectives said.

Mark Manning, 54, from Lancing, West Sussex, was reported missing on April 22, three days after his family last heard from him.

He worked for the Mines Advisory Group (MAG), which clears landmines and other explosives from conflict zones around the world.

Relatives have said that Mr Manning has never vanished before and described his disappearance as completely out of character.

He has not used his mobile phone, or carried out any financial transactions and has failed to attend appointments and meetings, police said.

A murder inquiry has now been launched by the Surrey and Sussex major crime team as there have been no reported sightings of him.

Advertisement

Five behind bars for beach murder

Four men and a teenage boy have been jailed for a total of 83 years for luring a former friend to a secluded Sheppey beach before launching a fatal attack with baseball bats.

Mark Terry, 44, and son Matthew Terry, 21, Christopher Bones, 21, and Ritchie Zborowski, 16, were found guilty following a 10-week trial by a jury of the murder of Gary Pocock.

All four were sentenced to life in prison when they appeared at Maidstone Crown Court.

A fifth person, Jamie West, 19, was found guilty of manslaughter and sentenced to seven years, with half of the sentence to be served on licence.

Judge praises "courage and dignity" of Chaggar family

Teenager jailed following murder in Guildford

A 14-year-old boy has been sentenced to six years in prison following the murder of his mother's partner in the Bellfields area of Guildford last year.

At a previous hearing Jerome Ellis, was found guilty of the manslaughter of 54-year-old Neil Tulley on the grounds of loss of control.

His brother, 23-year-old Joshua Ellis was found guilty of the murder of Mr Tulley and will be sentenced next month.

During the trial the court heard that the victim's body was discovered with multiple stab wounds on the sofa at the family home on 13 August 2013.

A post mortem showed Mr Tulley had died after sustaining more than sixty stab wounds.

A police manhunt and public appeal was launched after the two brothers went missing following the fatal attack. They handed themselves in at Woking Police Station on the evening of Wednesday, 14 August 2013.

This was a tragic case in which a man was fatally injured and two families have been completely devastated as a result. It has been a distressing case for the jury and the investigation team involved which have had to deal with some particularly traumatic evidence and harrowing accounts.”

– Detective Chief Inspector Mark Preston

Advertisement

Murder victim's family remember 'gentle and caring' man

Joseph before the attack Credit: Wiltshire Police

Following the sentencing of their son's killer, Joseph Starzacher's family have release a statement paying tribute to a "lovely young man in the prime of his life".

Joseph was punched unconscious in Salisbury City Centre in 2007 and later died from Pneumonia in 2010 because of immobility problems relating to the attack in 2007.

Joseph Starzacher with his daughter after the attack Credit: Wiltshire Police

His family said:

"To see Joseph’s life taken away in such an act of unprovoked, mindless violence has had a devastating and heartbreaking affect on all those who knew him.

We have had to endure seeing Joseph locked in his body unable to communicate for three years watching his deterioration that eventually led to his death in 2010.

This has been deeply distressing for us all but especially for his daughter Megan who was the apple of his eye.

Despite going through two trials and two appeal processes we can now begin the process of moving on from this horrific ordeal knowing that Adam Cross, the person responsible for our grief, has been found guilty of murder."

Man sentenced for murder 6 years after attack

A man from Salisbury has been found guilty of murder, after viciously attacking a man in Salisbury City Centre in 2007.

Adam Cross, who is 35, was sentenced to life imprisonment, with a minimum of 14 years, for the murder of Joseph Starzacher.

Joseph was attacked by Adam on Sunday 29th July in 2007 on a night out with his friends.

He was kicked so hard in the head that he lost consciousness.

He underwent emergency surgery and Cross was convicted with grievous bodily harm in 2008.

Joseph was left in a 'Persistent Vegetative State' and caught Pneumonia in August 2010 because of his immobility and died.

Medical experts concluded that Joseph’s death was linked to the head injury he received that day.

Cross was serving the initial sentence for Grievous bodily harm with Intent but following Joseph’s death it is right and proper that he was put before the courts to stand trial for his murder. This case is a stark reminder of the serious consequences of violence. Joseph lost his life and his young daughter lost her Dad because of the actions of Adam Cross."

– DS Pete Ritson, Wiltshire Police

Man charged with murdering his daughter

Detectives investigating the death of a woman in Bournemouth have charged a man with her murder.

The deceased woman has been formally identified as Mashael Albasman, a 25-year-old Kuwaiti national who was studying in Bournemouth.

Faleh Ghazi Albasman, Mashael’s father, has been charged with her murder and remanded to appear before magistrates today.

He is a 58-year-old Kuwaiti national who was staying with his daughter in the flat they shared in St. Michael’s Road in Bournemouth.

This is a tragic incident for Mashael’s family and on behalf of Dorset Police I wish to extend my sincere condolences and sympathy to her family. The family reside in Kuwait and a Dorset Police family liaison officer, working in conjunction with the Kuwaiti embassy and international liaison officers from the National Crime Agency, is supporting the family and keeping them informed and updated. Enquiries continue to establish further evidence and information about the murder of Mashael. I can confirm that we are not currently looking for anybody else in connection with this death."

– Detective Inspector Stewart Balmer

Detectives renew appeal following Folkestone murder

Detectives are trying to locate Timothy Keith Avril Credit: Kent Police

Detectives investigating the murder of a 20-year-old in Folkestone are renewing their appeal for a man to come forward and help with their enquiries. Gus Allman, from London, was found with stab wounds on Wood Avenue. He was taken to hospital but later pronounced dead.

Officers from the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate are keen to speak to Timothy Keith Avril as part of their investigations. The 22-year-old is known to visit areas of south east London.

Anyone who has seen Mr Avril or knows of his whereabouts is urged to contact Kent Police on 01622 690690 quoting reference number 07-0374 or Kent Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Load more updates