Live updates

Folkestone man jailed for life for killing homeless man

A Folkestone man's been sentenced to life and will serve a minimum of 18 years in prison after being found guilty of murdering a homeless person to death in a jealous rage.

Brian Sharp, 55, of Manor Road, Folkestone, was found guilty of killing Tim Clayton by a jury at Canterbury Crown Court Thursday 26 June.

Brian Sharp has been jailed for life with a minimum term of 18 years Credit: Kent Police
Tim Clayton died after being attacked in November last year Credit: Kent Police

During the two week trial, the court heard how Sharp had become jealous about the 45-year-old victim’s friendship with his on-off girlfriend.

Sharp attacked Mr Clayton as he slept at Europa House in Pound Way on Friday 8th November..

He dragged the victim across the floor out into the open whilst he was still in his sleeping bag and launched a sustained attack, punching and kicking him as he lay defenceless.

Mr Clayton never regained consciousness. He was found in the morning by bank staff arriving for work at 8.20am.

He was airlifted to the Royal Hospital in London, but died in the afternoon on Sunday 10 November.

John and Anna Clayton, Tim’s parents, said: ‘On 10 November, our precious son Tim was taken from us and we are left with a great void in our lives. His children have lost a dear and loving father and we now have to start to live the rest of our lives with an important member of the family missing.’

Man charged with murder due before crown court

The area around Morris Road was closed after the incident on Monday

A man charged with the murder of a pensioner is due before court today. 70 year old John Wildig died at Southampton General Hospital after being found with multiple stab wounds on Morris Road in the city on Monday night.

Paul Humphries who's 35 and from Morris Road has been remanded in custody to appear at Winchester Crown Court later today.

Advertisement

Man charged with murder following death of pensioner

A man has been charged with murder following the death of a 70-year-old man from Southampton.

Paul Humphries, who is 35-years-old, was charged with murder after the death of John William Willdig on Monday evening.

Mr Willdig died at Southampton General Hospital after an incident on Morris Road at around 10:15pm.

The post-mortem showed that he died of multiple stab wounds.

Mr Humphries will appear at Southampton Magistrates Court later today.

No further action is being taken against two men who were arrested in connection with the death.

A woman, who was also arrested in connection with the incident, remains on police bail.

Sussex murder investigation: Police statement

Detective chief inspector Mike Ashcroft said: "Although we can't categorically prove that Mark is dead at this time, we are treating this as seriously as we can.

"His sudden disappearance is completely out of character. He is close to his family but they have not heard from him at all."

Mr Ashcroft added: "There were no signs that he was depressed or may wish to harm himself. He seems to have vanished.

"His family are desperate to know what has become of him and they are being supported by a specially trained police officer.

"We want to hear from anyone who may have seen Mark or has any information about where he may be."

Mr Manning is white, 5ft 9in tall, clean shaven, with a tanned complexion and is of stocky build. He has blue eyes and is bald.

Murder investigation launched in Sussex

Police believe Mark Manning has been murdered Credit: Sussex Police

A former military bomb disposal expert who vanished almost two months ago is feared to have been murdered, detectives said.

Mark Manning, 54, from Lancing, West Sussex, was reported missing on April 22, three days after his family last heard from him.

He worked for the Mines Advisory Group (MAG), which clears landmines and other explosives from conflict zones around the world.

Relatives have said that Mr Manning has never vanished before and described his disappearance as completely out of character.

He has not used his mobile phone, or carried out any financial transactions and has failed to attend appointments and meetings, police said.

A murder inquiry has now been launched by the Surrey and Sussex major crime team as there have been no reported sightings of him.

Advertisement

Five behind bars for beach murder

Four men and a teenage boy have been jailed for a total of 83 years for luring a former friend to a secluded Sheppey beach before launching a fatal attack with baseball bats.

Mark Terry, 44, and son Matthew Terry, 21, Christopher Bones, 21, and Ritchie Zborowski, 16, were found guilty following a 10-week trial by a jury of the murder of Gary Pocock.

All four were sentenced to life in prison when they appeared at Maidstone Crown Court.

A fifth person, Jamie West, 19, was found guilty of manslaughter and sentenced to seven years, with half of the sentence to be served on licence.

Judge praises "courage and dignity" of Chaggar family

Teenager jailed following murder in Guildford

A 14-year-old boy has been sentenced to six years in prison following the murder of his mother's partner in the Bellfields area of Guildford last year.

At a previous hearing Jerome Ellis, was found guilty of the manslaughter of 54-year-old Neil Tulley on the grounds of loss of control.

His brother, 23-year-old Joshua Ellis was found guilty of the murder of Mr Tulley and will be sentenced next month.

During the trial the court heard that the victim's body was discovered with multiple stab wounds on the sofa at the family home on 13 August 2013.

A post mortem showed Mr Tulley had died after sustaining more than sixty stab wounds.

A police manhunt and public appeal was launched after the two brothers went missing following the fatal attack. They handed themselves in at Woking Police Station on the evening of Wednesday, 14 August 2013.

This was a tragic case in which a man was fatally injured and two families have been completely devastated as a result. It has been a distressing case for the jury and the investigation team involved which have had to deal with some particularly traumatic evidence and harrowing accounts.”

– Detective Chief Inspector Mark Preston
Load more updates